REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #2801
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Are the nexus 8000 on sale?
Advertisement
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #2802
My homepage has been set to RS

^I wanted to get the nexus 8000 skates but made no sense cuz the price drop was i think only $100...the better deal was the x100 I'm also talking about the hockey shop as for sportchek it was relatively the same price drop but you get way more like skiippii said with a gift card and sharpenings or some shit...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2803

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Nexus 8000 is still 769 at sportchek, Nexus 1000 are 399.88, but stock is limited, so might be tough to find your size
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #2804

Ccm Rbz are $359.99 now too if they fit you. Close out deal so lots of sizes available.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #2805

Easton Mako are $479.88 now... If u like that skate... We didn't see any.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #2806
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Nice! Did you order blind with respect to fit? Or do they take measurements before you commit to buying? Looks like a great mask for the price even with the exchange.

Sharks are good, so are Simmons 9611, and if you look around, Jerry Wright, the original 961 designer is still making masks.

SportMask is a great company (I have a Mage TT that i got new and refubed once). OTNY in Ontario makes both masks and cages.

And I agree with Truenosan....If the wait wasn't so long, I'd get a Kevlar Protechsport already.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #2807
retired

Quote:
Nice! Did you order blind with respect to fit? Or do they take measurements before you commit to buying? Looks like a great mask for the price even with the exchange.
I measured my head, and it is close. However, another goalie mentioned that he cant fit in a Bauer 961, but has no issues with the Shark 965. So in theory, I should have no issues.

Only reason I picked this up was because I have a USD account here, but no US credit card, so I just asked my cousin who lives in the US to pick it up for me. (Don't need to deal with exchange). After the exchange, you could almost just buy a 961 here.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #2808
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
^I wanted to get the nexus 8000 skates but made no sense cuz the price drop was i think only $100...the better deal was the x100 I'm also talking about the hockey shop as for sportchek it was relatively the same price drop but you get way more like skiippii said with a gift card and sharpenings or some shit...
Just be aware the Nexus and Vapor skates are on opposite sides of the fit profile spectrum.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #2809
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
I measured my head, and it is close. However, another goalie mentioned that he cant fit in a Bauer 961, but has no issues with the Shark 965. So in theory, I should have no issues.

Only reason I picked this up was because I have a USD account here, but no US credit card, so I just asked my cousin who lives in the US to pick it up for me. (Don't need to deal with exchange). After the exchange, you could almost just buy a 961 here.
Interesting. I can't fit my face into a 961 so it's interesting to hear that the 965 fits differently.

Please keep us posted!
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #2810
retired

Quote:
Interesting. I can't fit my face into a 961 so it's interesting to hear that the 965 fits differently.

Please keep us posted!
Will do! I have a 951, which is pretty close to the 961, so in theory, I should be ok. That or you will see the mask up for sale lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #2811
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
For shits and giggles I figured this shot would be the perfect shot to showcase my season.

me, vs two of their players. I had already made the initial save on the 2 on 0, and was fighting off one attacker when he made the pass to his partner. I still attempted to get across to make the save, but just couldn't push fast enough.

My 11 year old took the pic and didn't have the flash on, which is too bad because he caught some good action that night.

My 12 year old took this one. I pre warned her about the poor lighting in a rink.

So many brands.

Warrior pants, glove and blocker.
Eddy mask, GM cage
Brians SZ pads
Vaughn C/A
Bauer one90 skates and Total One stick
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #2812

I hear ya LOL I used to be in that boat but not anymore (?)

Warrior pads and gloves. CCM C/A, Vaughn Jock, RBK Pants, Sportmask mask, Koho Knee Pads, Bauer stick n skates.

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 08-23-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #2813

In case anyone needs a new mask or cage, definitely deal with OTNY. Not only are they in Canada, but the service is top notch.

I've given up on Protechsport like you all have because the wait (it's actually 17 weeks). Looking to refurb my Eddy at OTNY, I got talking to Matt and Ron there and they've magically talked me into buying their X1-PRO. Since I was clearly worried about fit, they're arranging to send me their demo for me to try before buying (I'm assuming on my dollar, but still it's nice for them to do that as opposed to saying "just buy the mask").

They say that the mask fits closest to a Eddy, so that's already very promising. I'll keep you posted when I get everything. The specs for the price is up there with Protechsport, so I'm eager to see if it all fits.

EDIT: they don't do cages for Sportmask.

Update- here's there new website just for masks: http://www.otnymask.com/models/X1pro/index.html

Last edited by m3thods; 08-24-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:47 AM   #2814

September comes along and nobody is whoring it up yet?

Here's a picture of my new mask just before getting shipped to me. I can't wait!!

EDIT: Oops was a private link. Your picture is so much better lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vince's X-1.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by m3thods; 09-04-2015 at 08:25 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #2815
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^

your pic isn't showing up.
So here's an LA King ice girl to make up for it.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #2816

No issues getting the cat eye cage in Canada?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #2817

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
No issues getting the cat eye cage in Canada?
None at all.

I'm actually unaware of what the rules are. OTNY actually makes CE cages (along with CSA/cheater cages) for almost all major mask makers. There doesn't seem to be any issues with getting them direct from OTNY.

The mask itself isn't CSA/HECC certified, so maybe that plays a role in the matter? Or maybe because it's an independent mask builder making a one-off vs. a retail outlet selling certified helmets.

EDIT: I learned myself on the matter. I'm actually not sure how OTNY is able to actively create non-certified cages for sale in Canada. Also, I'm not sure how Michel at Protechsport and Ron at Otny are able to build non-certified masks for sale in Canada. There must be something I'm missing here (unfortunately I can't find the actual release from Health Canada on the matter).

EDIT2: As I've never played with a non-certified helmet before, have any of you guys received heck while playing beer-league? I'm currently in ASHL and Coast. I'm guessing no because I see CE cages everywhere.

Last edited by m3thods; 09-04-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #2818

Quote:
None at all.

I'm actually unaware of what the rules are. OTNY actually makes CE cages (along with CSA/cheater cages) for almost all major mask makers. There doesn't seem to be any issues with getting them direct from OTNY.

The mask itself isn't CSA/HECC certified, so maybe that plays a role in the matter? Or maybe because it's an independent mask builder making a one-off vs. a retail outlet selling certified helmets.

EDIT: I learned myself on the matter. I'm actually not sure how OTNY is able to actively create non-certified cages for sale in Canada. Also, I'm not sure how Michel at Protechsport and Ron at Otny are able to build non-certified masks for sale in Canada. There must be something I'm missing here (unfortunately I can't find the actual release from Health Canada on the matter).

EDIT2: As I've never played with a non-certified helmet before, have any of you guys received heck while playing beer-league? I'm currently in ASHL and Coast. I'm guessing no because I see CE cages everywhere.
I'm certain they've discovered a loop hole otherwise they'd be more covert about selling these. Totally just throwing this idea out there as a possibility but there are no regulations about road hockey quality masks (which come with cat eye cages.) You'd be crazy to even think about wearing one on the ice but what if Otny or Protechsport would classify their products as a street hockey mask? Technically it's not illegal. Overkill for road hockey and if consumers choose to wear it on the ice, they do so at their own risk.

As for the non-certified helmets in beer league, I've never seen it enforced. I've been told the league's insurance won't cover you in the event of an injury.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM   #2819

Yeah I'm prepared for the insurance bit as there is a waiver for goalies who wear ce cages. Maybe I won't bring attention to the fact that my mask has no stickers lol
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #2820

CE cages I think can be sold as long as the buyer recognizes that it is NOT approved.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #2821

Looking back at OTNY's cage website, it looks like they "don't do online sales". However, if you call them I'm sure they will ship it to you (as has been the case with everyone on GSBB).

I guess as long as you're advertising that you can't and you're discrete, there's no trouble.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #2822
retired

You will have no troubles using it in Coast or ASHL. ASHL mentioned at the captains meeting this year that they will eventually not allow the CE as to follow Hockey Canada rules.

I really hope this isn't true. Can't stand any other cages.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #2823

Yikes I hope that really doesn't come to fruition- I don't understand why they can't just have a waiver system that extends to non-CSA helmets as well as the current system for CE cages. It already removes all liability from them, so I'm not sure why they need to go after it further (aside from bad press in the event of a catastrophe).

I would imagine that most goalies in their right mind would not want to go out there with a certified widowmaker, so I don't understand why a beer league would force goalies to spend more money on top of what's already being spent in order to follow what's already a dumb rule anyways.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #2824
retired

Quote:
Yikes I hope that really doesn't come to fruition- I don't understand why they can't just have a waiver system that extends to non-CSA helmets as well as the current system for CE cages. It already removes all liability from them, so I'm not sure why they need to go after it further (aside from bad press in the event of a catastrophe).

I would imagine that most goalies in their right mind would not want to go out there with a certified widowmaker, so I don't understand why a beer league would force goalies to spend more money on top of what's already being spent in order to follow what's already a dumb rule anyways.
Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. They are trying to ban cat eye cages. They didn't mention anything about non CSA helmets (from what I can recall) but I wouldn't rule that being next on their list.

Id rather use a non CSA/HECC mask that is proven, vs some widow maker "certified" mask off the shelf (ie, NME 3)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. They are trying to ban cat eye cages. They didn't mention anything about non CSA helmets (from what I can recall) but I wouldn't rule that being next on their list.

Id rather use a non CSA/HECC mask that is proven, vs some widow maker "certified" mask off the shelf (ie, NME 3)
No sorry I just ranted past your original point. I know they have a waiver for CE cages, but for them to straight up ban them in a league full of consenting adults seems odd to me.

And completely true with your other statement. It's pretty clear why the rules are in place, but again it would just make sense to have a blanket waiver for non-CSA equipment. It seems so simple to leave it at "you don't have CSA equipment? you take full responsibility for anything that happens". You don't have to go that far for the last black-eye for a failure with certified equipment (Bauer Ti cage blinding someone).