REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #1276
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA View Post
no one cares because it hasn't affected them yet. From the looks of things, though, gangs are starting to move into areas where everyday law-abiding citizens live, and more and more by-standers are being impacted. I don't think people would start caring until you see shootouts in more affluent neighborhoods, or until some social elite's family members are affected by these criminals - that's when our corporate-backed politicians will move their ass and do something about it.

Gangs have always lived and operated in neighbourhoods beside law-abiding citizens. An affluent neighbourhood with wealthy neighbours doesn't make it gang free. There have been grow ops in the British Properties and Westwood Plateau. There have been shootings in Shaughnessy. As I recall, one asian boss who's daughter had to make the terrifiying 911 call, and another in a BMW.

But you final sentance hits our gang problem right on the nose. The corporations control everything.
Advertisement

Last edited by adambomb; 12-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #1277
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

To be honest, I don't think we need ccw in Canada, let alone Vancouver yet. Just look at how people FREAK OUT at the mere sight of anything that resembles a gun, and how police overreacts when they respond to the call. Our liberal and hippie city crowd just ain't ready for that yet...

I think whoever's the next BC premier needs to pay more attention to preventing this province from overtaken by drug lords, if they haven't already.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #1278
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
if you carry an unregistered/stolen handgun, instant 5 years in jail

i dont see why there should be any oposition to a law like that, and why it couldnt be implemented

because our government believes that only law-abiding gun owners should be charged or jailed for gun-related offenses, since that's where ALL the guns come from in gang related crimes, right? "oh hey, let's make legal gun owners' lives miserable so that no one will want to get firearms! no firearms = no gang shootings! problem solved!!!! what? smuggled/illegal firearms are how the crooks are getting armed? but but but... that's not possible! Their names are not on the registry or the licensing database!"

Our politicians are so useless and out of touch with reality.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #1279
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
My friend took these pictures of the scene of the shootings on Oak st. it's on his website.

http://www.momentsinrgb.com/?p=4089

Check it out. Crazy stuff going down in Vancouver.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #1280
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
if you carry an unregistered/stolen handgun, instant 5 years in jail

i dont see why there should be any oposition to a law like that, and why it couldnt be implemented
that law already exists. it might only be 2 years though. however nobody is ever convicted of it. gernally people get charged with like 20 things, and they only end up giving him 1 or 2 of the smallest charges of the 20 in the end.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #1281
HELP ME PLS!!!

Gang-related west side shooting injures 10 people

By Tiffany Crawford and Douglas Quan, Vancouver Sun and Postmedia News December 12, 2010 11:17 AM Comments (16)
StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Callers to 911 reported a succession of shots near Oak and West 23rd Avenue at about 2 a.m. Sunday morning, police said in a news release.Photograph by: Google maps, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER -- At least 10 people were shot — two critically — early Sunday morning in what Vancouver police described as an “outrageous display” of gang violence in the city’s west side.

Six men and three women are being treated for gunshot wounds. Two of the nine victims are in critical condition and a tenth victim has refused treatment, Vancouver police Const. Jana McGuinness said in a news release.

Callers to 911 reported a succession of shots near Oak and West 23rd Avenue at about 2 a.m. Sunday morning, police said in a news release. The area has a mix of small businesses, apartments and houses.

Dave White, a local radio reporter who lives near the crime scene, said he was dozing off to sleep when heard about five gunshots. He said he initially brushed it off.

Then he heard a scream, followed by another rapid succession of shots — perhaps a dozen, he said — followed by more screaming.

“Go, go, go,” he heard someone yell.

“I had a cold, pit feeling in my stomach,” he said.

White said he grabbed his gear and ran outside.

He said he saw two vehicles — a red Chrysler Sebring and a white BMW SUV — speed down Oak Street.

Ann Oxendale, who has lived in the area for 20 years, was in her ground-level apartment watching TV when she heard shots fired. She and her 24-year-old son rushed to the window and saw two cars speeding off southbound.

“I heard a woman scream, or at least I thought it was a woman,” Oxendale said. “And then I saw the two cars speeding up that way, so I went to grab the phone. By then the police arrived. It happened really fast. I stayed inside because I thought I should stay out of the way.”

White said he saw a group of people huddled outside a Subway restaurant.

There was also a woman “moaning and groaning” in the alcove of a Best Neighbours Restaurant nearby.

Paramedics quickly loaded her up in an ambulance.

“The ambulances kept coming,” he said.

When officers arrived in the area they found a number of people suffering from gunshot wounds in the 3800-block of Oak St. Additional victims were found a short distance away on the street and more turned up at local area hospitals over the next hour, having made their way there in private vehicles.

Another resident, Paul Wolf, said he was asleep when he heard about five or six gunshots. Initially, he said he thought someone was banging on the metal trash containers in the back alley. But then he heard several more shots.

He opened the blinds in his bedroom and saw about 20 young people running out of a narrow alleyway behind the Best Neighbours Restaurant toward the street.

He later walked outside and saw a man in handcuffs outside the Subway.

“Pretty unnerving,” said the father of young children.

As of 10:30 a.m., Oak Street is still closed in both directions between West 21st and West 25th avenues and no traffic is getting through. A large crime scene is taped off.

Two piles of clothes, including a blood-stained white T-shirt, a black Puma sneaker and torn-up jeans sat on the ground behind yellow police tape.

A wallet with a driver’s license sticking out, and a BlackBerry were also visible.

McGuinness said investigators were combing for clues over a stretch of four blocks. Several evidence markers lay on the rain-soaked sidewalk.

Police officers were also guarding the entrance to the emergency ward at nearby Vancouver General Hospital.

Police said several people are in custody as of Sunday morning.

Oxendale said she has never been afraid in her neighbourhood before this incident.

“I picked this area because it’s safer than Whalley,” she said.

About a week ago, graffiti tags appeared on mailboxes and newspaper boxes in the area, Oxendale said, adding that area residents were concerned that gang activity could be creeping into the neighbourhood.

Police said a number of witnesses are being transported to the police station for interviews.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the VPD Major Crime Robbery Assault Squad at 604-717-2541 or Crime Stoppers at 1800-222-8477.

tsherlock@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #1282
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I heard the gunshots too last night...
oinkoinkpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #1283
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I was driving on King Ed earlier this afternoon. Oak street was still shut down by the police.
heero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #1284
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero78 View Post
I was driving on King Ed earlier this afternoon. Oak street was still shut down by the police.
Still ? Wow.

I was driving southbound on Oak at around 7:00 AM and the whole south bound traffic was blocked starting from 15th Ave. I thought it was just an early morning accident. Damn.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #1285
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
About a week ago, graffiti tags appeared on mailboxes and newspaper boxes in the area, Oxendale said, adding that area residents were concerned that gang activity could be creeping into the neighbourhood.
Yes, because real gangsters who shoot people tag mailboxes and newspaper boxes to claim their territory..
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #1286
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
Yes, because real gangsters who shoot people tag mailboxes and newspaper boxes to claim their territory..
yamahar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #1287
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Yawn big deal, make it 25 years to be caught with a unregistered handgun see how many shootings you'll have then. I slept right thru it cuz it was pissing rain last night didn't hear shit.

Last edited by Death2Theft; 12-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #1288
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Dam, I was at VGH around 2am and there was a quick rush of ambulance/police because of this. The hospital had a lock down, no one was allowed to enter or leave, pretty nerve racking as cops kept yelling and making it a huge scene at the hospital..
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #1289
I bringith the lowerballerith

was just get dragon ball bbt. all the streets still blocked

1992 Black Acura Integra GS-R #470
kookoobird88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #1290
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

7pm, still closed...
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #1291
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
That's pretty crazy... ten people shot, but nobody died.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #1292
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Well if your gonna get shot the best place to be IS near a hospital.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #1293
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Shooting a gun accurately in real life is far more difficult than in the video game.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #1294
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damaxmr2 View Post
Shooting a gun accurately in real life is far more difficult than in the video game.
Probably because people don't have the same amount of practice of shooting guns in real life than in video games.

How many hours do you dedicate to playing games like CS/COD before you get good? How many hours do you spend shooting a gun IRL?

It really comes down to practice, however, the physics in real life are a lot different because as most shooters know, your first shot is the most accurate. After that, when the barrel is heated, it skews the following shots.

Probably doesn't help that you're anxiety ridden and not trained on how you should deal with that anxiety.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #1295
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Happened in front/near Mayor Gregors house according to the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
well 2 are in critical

but yeah... the shooters were probably scared too or else you think with a machine gun they'd make sure they got who they were after but instead they were likely running n gunning
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #1296
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

All i wana know is where the hell you'd find a pack of 30 people at 2am in that neighborhood is there a hardcore starbux hangout or something or a gambling operation behind neighbors? :P
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #1297
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
a news1130 photographer (who lives right there) says when he ran out to snap photos he heard a loud house party was still going on a block down the st.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1298
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
the law isn't heavy handed when it comes to drug possession/trafficking and gang related shootings are the result.

I've always been a strong supporter for government work camps for these degenerates.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #1299
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Happened in front/near Mayor Gregors house according to the news
if he turned every road in vancouver into a bike lane, there wouldn't be anymore drive by shootings!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #1300
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
if he turned every road in vancouver into a bike lane, there wouldn't be anymore drive by shootings!
ride by shootings?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote