REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #1301
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

That happens in the states lil kids 12 year old on bmx. How u gonna enforce those laws.
Advertisement
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #1302
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Becuase eventually that 12 year old will grab 3 strikes and go to the pen for life
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #1303
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Happened in front/near Mayor Gregors house according to the news
Now that it's happened in his neighbourhood,perhaps he should wake the fuck up do something about it now,instead of building those stupid fucking bike lanes and wasting taxpayers money.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #1304
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Update...

Quote:
VANCOUVER — A brazen shootout that has once again raised fears of a violent gang war in Vancouver took place at an invitation-only birthday party at a restaurant on the city's comfortable west side.

Vancouver Police Supt. Warren Lemcke says most of the people at the birthday party were known to have gang connections and everyone struck by the bullets were guests of the party.

Lemcke says of the 10 people shot early Sunday morning, eight are still in hospital.

Vancouver was wracked with gang violence for most of last year but 2010 had been relatively quiet, until lately.

Lemcke says Vancouver Police won't tolerate such activity and he promises the public will see more uniformed officers on the streets and a program to ensure gang members stay out of the city's bars will be stepped up.

The shoot-out prompted several calls to 911, including one from Vancouver's mayor, who lives in the usually quiet neighbourhood.
http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #1305
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

im sorry but the whole barwatch program for example is a joke. Having been involved in event organizing at local nightclubs, it was common occurrence to witness what looked to be obvious gangsters walking in through the front door without i.d scan and pat down, yet all other regular civilians must abide by these procedures
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #1306

What kinda gangsters b eat at "neighbors" not exactly the balling proceeds of crime people were expecting
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #1307

It was a private/booked-out birthday function at that particular restaurant a) management may possibly have connections/affiliations? :s b) they serve good grub LOL
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #1308
Banned By Establishment

According to CTV, the Askari brothers where there at the party. The same people that was shot at last week in Coquitlam.

Last edited by DJ Milk; 12-14-2010 at 01:07 AM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #1309
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
ahh Mr. Detective i see hehe

I saw the latest headline today and Im actually appalled by it

"No Innocent people hit..."

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...ouver-shooting
Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver Police now say Sunday's massive gang shooting followed an invite-only birthday party being held at a nearby restaurant. They say everyone involved had links to the gang life.

It happened at 2 a.m. on Oak St. near West 23 Ave.

The isolated, targeted shooting left 10 people hurt, eight are still in hospital and two remain in critical condition. Investigators found an assault rifle. Police believe the incident is the fall-out of a man murdered at Metrotown earlier this year.

Police will be stepping up patrols around pubs and restaurants where gang members are known to hang out and will invite more eateries to join the Bar Watch program.

Mayor Gregor Robertson, who lives a block away from where the shooting took place, says he was woken up by it and is outraged by the violence.

No charges have been laid but officers continue speaking with persons of interest.

Neighbours coping

One father tells News1130 he never expected to have his young family wake up to the sound of multiple gunshots. "I was totally shocked to hear: a) there was a shooting and b) that many people were basically 100 metres from my house."

Some people living in the area say they heard up to 20 shots. Several describe hearing a woman scream then car tires screech and peel away.

News1130's Dave White lives in a building right across the street from where the drama unfolded and he heard the staccato beat of the gunshots as they ripped through the early morning silence.

"Within minutes the police had completely shut off the entire area. At one point there was a girl screaming. She had taken cover in an alcove of a restaurant and paramedics were working on her before taking her to the hospital."

Gang-linked crimes difficult to prosecute

When witnesses are scared to come forward, SFU Director of Criminology Rob Gordon says that often leaves police spinning their wheels. So what can officers do to stop a gang war?

"Not much. They can parade in uniforms through bars and restaurants and attempt to deter this kind of activity," Gordon explains.

He says locking up gangsters is the only real deterrent there is and building enough evidence to get convictions isn't easy when even the victims stay silent.

I'm sorry but a "link to gang life" could be anything... hell having a girlfriend who's cousin is a gangster and being at her Birthday party (so you couldnt avoid it) would be construed as a "link to gang life"

such an appalling statement/ piece of journalism to make
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk View Post
According to CTV, the Askari brothers where there at the party. The same people that was shot at last week in Coquitlam.
got a link?

one askari has been in jail since october
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #1311

this shooting was retaliation for gurmit singh dhak's murder. they wont quit until more blood is shed
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #1312
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
^^ well if the rumors about the Askari brothers is true (although isn't 1 still in jail?) they didnt even come back from Iran until after that Gurmit guy died (and they were there for a few years)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #1313
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by winks View Post
got a link?

one askari has been in jail since october
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

This is taken from Kim's blog
Quote:
KIM SAYS: I really don't know. I made no calls Sunday as I am off, though I did receive a few. The victims are low-level drug traffickers, but they have higher up connections. And one victim is a cousin of one of the guys in the car in Richmond in October that was shot up on Westminster highway

Last edited by DJ Milk; 12-14-2010 at 01:01 PM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #1314
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
AndreaWoo Andrea Woo
@VancouverSun looking into both police swarm at Burrard and Howe and reports of shots fired in Yaletown.

AndreaWoo Andrea Woo
Sorry, make that between Burrard and Howe. Basically that whole area, gah!

10 minutes later...

MayorGregor Gregor Robertson
calling for more fed/prov $ into gang task force to help vpd and metro cities proactively fight gangs in bc
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #1315
The RS Freebie guru

@VancouverPD statement confirms "ongoing investigation" at Seymour/Drake and no shots fired but a flashbang deployed. (via @AndreaWoo)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #1316

flashbangs, cool
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #1317
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
@VancouverPD statement confirms "ongoing investigation" at Seymour/Drake and no shots fired but a flashbang deployed. (via @AndreaWoo)
Now this I have to simply blame on call of duty
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #1318
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #1319
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts

holy shit!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #1320
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
^lol at 1:00 mark
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #1321
x_x

WTF!!!!
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1322
The RS Freebie guru

Update...

Quote:
Vancouver police said Tuesday that eight of the 10 victims in Sunday's Oak Street shooting remain in hospital.

According to a police news release, six men and two women are being treated for various injuries related to gunshot wounds.

Police have already completed a thorough search and canvass of the neighbourhood around the shooting looking for witnesses and any discarded evidence.

The VPD Forensic Identification Unit will be back at the scene again today collecting evidence.

The VPD's Victim Services Unit has also canvassed the neighborhood, going door to door in an effort to provide assistance to anyone who might need support or was affected by the shooting. Those outreach efforts will continue today, police say.

So far, no arrests have been made in connection with the shooting.

Some of those wounded in the unprecedented gangland shooting are believed to have information about the execution of a notorious gangster at Metrotown in October.

Among the shooting victims are three gangsters with convictions for drug trafficking and violence; one was charged in Burnaby last month with 27 firearms offences.

Vancouver police confirmed at a news conference Monday that the shooting had some link to the Oct. 16 slaying of Gurmit Dhak in broad daylight at the busy Burnaby Metrotown mall complex.

“We had a little bit of a lull but there is always tension beneath the surface and the latest outbreak is connected to the targeted hit of Gurmit Singh Dhak,” Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu told reporters.

But Vancouver investigators did not elaborate on how the shooting of 10 gangsters and associates outside an Oak Street restaurant early Sunday related to the earlier hit, which remains under investigation.

The Vancouver Sun has learned that the invitation-only birthday party was for 29-year-old Darren Cunningham, who was injured in the shooting.

Cunningham has a 2001 conviction for drug trafficking in Vancouver, and two other convictions for driving infractions.

He also has a loan for a 2006 Ford 350 truck like the one riddled with bullets outside the restaurant Sunday.

Also among the injured partygoers were gangsters Damion Ryan and Paul Araki, close associates of a man shot in Richmond on Oct. 22 in retaliation for the Dhak slaying.

Ryan was recently stopped by police in a vehicle with Sahand Askari, one of two gangster brothers who recently moved back to Metro Vancouver from Iran. Askari was in a vehicle targeted by gunmen in Coquitlam Friday, though he was not injured.

Court records show that 27 new firearms counts were sworn against Ryan last month related to events on Aug. 26 in Burnaby. He has not made an appearance on any of the charges, according to the court database.

Both Ryan and Araki were convicted in 2005 of discharging a firearm, aggravated assault, robbery and break and enter in connection with a violent home invasion to steal the proceeds of a marijuana crop. The grower was beaten and shot several times, but survived.

Law enforcement agencies across Metro Vancouver are concerned about the recent escalation in gang violence, culminating in Sunday’s shooting.

Vancouver police stressed Monday that none of the injured were innocent bystanders, but had all been invited to the Best Neighbours Restaurant for Cunningham’s party.

“The bulk of the people at this birthday party are known to have gang connections,” Deputy Chief Warren Lemcke said. “There were no innocent people who were struck by bullets.”

Lemcke said those shot were aged 20 to 36. He added the shots were fired with an assault weapon.

Police vowed to step up uniformed police presence in the restaurants and bars known to be frequented by gangsters.

Mayor Gregor Robertson, who lives one block from the shooting in the 3800-block of Oak Street, said he was surprised that no one was killed.

He described being awakened by what he initially thought were firecrackers, then got a “sinking feeling” in his stomach when he realized it was gunfire.

“When it happens in your own neighbourhood, it’s a shock,” said Robertson, whose wife and 15-year-old daughter were also at home at the time.

“It was scary for my family and my neighbours’ families.”

Robertson said he tried calling 911 but got a busy signal, adding he suspected other neighbours were also calling in to report the gunfire.

Robertson called the shooting “despicable” and said police will do everything they can to catch those responsible.

The shooting comes just one week after the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit-Gang Task Force issued a warning about the possibility of an increase in gang violence resulting from recent events, including the October mall slaying.

Const. Jana McGuinness said the victims — who were shot near Oak Street and West 23rd Avenue — were targeted by the shooters.

Six men and three women were treated for gunshot wounds at hospital while a tenth victim refused treatment, McGuinness said.

Asked if any of the three females who were shot were simply the girlfriends of the alleged gangsters, Lemcke said he didn’t know. He did say girlfriends were at the party at the time.

“This is an ongoing part of the gang war. Although we have seen lulls, we are also seeing things are similar to what happened Sunday night,” said Lemcke.

“The major concern [for police] is where these shootings are occurring in public and the potential for innocent people to be hurt.”

Many residents who live nearby were startled awake shortly after 2 a.m. when they heard several rounds being fired.

Chief Chu said that for the past two years, police in the region have been focusing on gang members most likely to engage in this type of behaviour.

“There are numerous dynamics [for shooting]. Sometimes hostilities towards rivals and sometimes they shoot each other when they don’t even have a reason,” he said

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Eig...#ixzz18KPARUo7
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #1323

27 gun charges and robbing and shooting a grow operator, and your out attending birthdays

its like, why am i going to school lol
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #1324
Need to Seek Professional Help

What the fuck were the cops doing? They had like 5 min to get to that thing in florida.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #1325
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

"Police vowed to step up uniformed police presence in the restaurants and bars known to be frequented by gangsters."

LOL more money for cops to walk around bars checking out chicks and kicking guys out with a criminal record...what does that accomplish? They'll just party somewhere else on another night.

Maybe do actual police work, undercover investigations, build cases on them and then arrest them with solid evidence.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote