REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #2801
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Damn, you're right jlo.
I was confusing the .380 with the .38 which is a different round, and slightly larger than the 9mm.

What an odd round to use for a defensive weapon. The 9mm is a far more common round to find. Like you mentioned, there are a lot more options for the weight of the bullet, unlike the .380 which is actually quite light at 90gr. I'm reloading 357 right now, and the lightest round I have is 158gr. That's a huge difference in weight and stopping power.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #2802
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thread bump! (...crickets.)

Remember when we used to be concerned about shootings in our neighbourhoods. Now all we care about are who is paying for our houses, how much they are paying and where are they from.

Anyways, pop pop in Surrey. Am I think the only one thinking, I wonder how much these houses sell for...

Quote:
A man is in hospital with a gunshot wound after shots were fired in the area of 86A Avenue and 140 Street in Surrey, Monday afternoon.

Surrey RCMP says the man's injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

Police responded around 1:55 p.m. PT. to calls of shots fired in the area.

A black BMW was found at the scene with its passenger and driver's-side rear window shattered.

Police say they believe this is a targeted incident.
Look at those estates!!

Oh look, dead body in Burnaby. I wonder what a 2 bedroom is going for in that building...

Quote:
BURNABY (NEWS 1130) – A man’s body has been discovered in a park near the Edmonds SkyTrain station.

RCMP say this is a homicide, but it’s too early to say what motivated the killing.

Surrey RCMP investigating third shooting in 3 days - British Columbia - CBC News

Man hospitalized with serious injuries after shooting in Surrey - NEWS 1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #2803
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Yeah, even I can't be bothered anymore, I noted this would happen back around when the thread started -_- so sad, and no one's really sticking it to the police for being so lax about things
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #2804
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,095 Times in 969 Posts
RCMP investigates another shooting in Surrey, bringing the total number this year to 31 - BC | Globalnews.ca
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #2805
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post

Oh look, dead body in Burnaby. I wonder what a 2 bedroom is going for in that building...
more than you can afford brah

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #2806
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
31 shootings in Surrey so far this year

it's only fucking April

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #2807
God of Unce

pew pew pew
Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #2808
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Surrey RCMP investigate fourth shooting in four days - British Columbia - CBC News

Another day, another shooting.
mike313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #2809
I don't get it

Sad to hear this province is so involved in shootings nowadays..

Hopefully things clear up sooner or later.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #2810
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
Sad to hear Surrey is so involved in shootings nowadays..

Hopefully things clear up sooner or later.
fixed

seriously though...it's getting to ridiculous levels at this rate
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #2811
I don't get it

Yes they should make gun laws twice as harsh as they are now! That'll scare those criminals and stop them from using guns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
fixed

seriously though...it's getting to ridiculous levels at this rate
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #2812
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Yes they should make gun laws twice as harsh as they are now! That'll scare those criminals and stop them from using guns!
There was a guy who was commenting on the Global news facebook site that we need a law that sends criminals to jail for a long period of time if they commit a crime with a gun.

Went back into his FB history, and it appears that a few years ago he was calling for Harper to be kicked from office because of the C-10 "Safe Streets and Communities" act, aka omnibus. Cries of "It goes too far!" and "We're not America!" were shouted by the left wing wimp.

C-10 was the bill that was tough on gun crimes, pedophiles, drug users, etc. The truth is that people just don't know what they want. They want security, but also freedom. They want more cops, but lower taxes. We're really not far off from life in Springfield.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #2813
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
C-10 was the bill that was tough on gun crimes, pedophiles, drug users, etc. The truth is that people just don't know what they want. They want security, but also freedom. They want more cops, but lower taxes. We're really not far off from life in Springfield.
Let the bears pay the bear tax. I pay the Homer tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #2814
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
There was a guy who was commenting on the Global news facebook site that we need a law that sends criminals to jail for a long period of time if they commit a crime with a gun.

Went back into his FB history, and it appears that a few years ago he was calling for Harper to be kicked from office because of the C-10 "Safe Streets and Communities" act, aka omnibus. Cries of "It goes too far!" and "We're not America!" were shouted by the left wing wimp.

A quick google of C-10 bill informs me that the bill allows mandate incarceration for non violent crimes and minors. The guy wants harsher punishment for gun-crimes aka violent crimes. Sounds pretty reasonable to go against the bill but request advocate for harsher gun crime laws.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #2815
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
A quick google of C-10 bill informs me that the bill allows mandate incarceration for non violent crimes and minors. The guy wants harsher punishment for gun-crimes aka violent crimes. Sounds pretty reasonable to go against the bill but request advocate for harsher gun crime laws.

Thank you Captain obvious......

That's why I ended my reply with this.
Quote:
They want security, but also freedom. They want more cops, but lower taxes. We're really not far off from life in Springfield.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #2816
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Shootings in broad daylight,occupants in cars shooting at each other at red lights, I mean seriously WTF is going on?!? I also read that they deployed a 100 extra RCMP officers but yet they can't seem to make ONE arrest? Elected officials and even the police need to start been held accountable before someone innocent gets killed in the crossfire.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #2817
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Mayor of surrey is a fucking jokeeeee.. lol fuck what a stark contrast to Diane watts who actually seemed to do somthing

wasnt this womans #1 priority get tough on crime, clean up streets, etc.? lol jesus..

As i said before.. you dont need to implement all these crazy other laws like the C-10 bill, etc.

Simply have mandatory 2 year sentences for individuals caught with firearms they arent legally allowed to have, period.

If you have a gun in your possession, with no PAL, with no reasoning behind it, in broad daylight, you're going to jail, period.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #2818
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Simply have mandatory 2 year sentences for individuals caught with firearms they arent legally allowed to have, period.

If you have a gun in your possession, with no PAL, with no reasoning behind it, in broad daylight, you're going to jail, period.
The Supreme Court of Canada struck down mandatory minimums for gun crimes last year.

Supreme Court quashes mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes - Politics - CBC News

Being tough on crime doesn't work. The US is the perfect example. We need outreach/social programs for youths to steer them away from this gang nonsense but no one is willing to pay for it.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #2819
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:

Thank you Captain obvious......

That's why I ended my reply with this.
You made it sound like the guy was contradicting himself. My point was that you gave an example of a guy stating exactly what he want but you expanded that to people not knowing what they want.

They want more security (stricter on violent crimes) but more freedom (lax on no violent such as possession). More cops but less taxes(allocate resources to violent crime instead of a drug unit.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #2820

Not sure if related, but I read a while ago that some gun violence in Surrey is directly tied to young and poor Somali immigrants trying to branch into the drug gang business.

I wonder if a long term solution is to bring Surrey more youth career programs at schools and other community outreach ideas. Obviously that won't help the ones already sucked into the gang life, but I can imagine this being a problem for years to come that needs addressing.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2821
I don't get it

As long as that is hand guns only as rifles used in violent crimes pales to comparison. However that leads us down the slipperly slope of the long fun registry because once they start with one they'll move onto more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Mayor of surrey is a fucking jokeeeee.. lol fuck what a stark contrast to Diane watts who actually seemed to do somthing

wasnt this womans #1 priority get tough on crime, clean up streets, etc.? lol jesus..

As i said before.. you dont need to implement all these crazy other laws like the C-10 bill, etc.

Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #2822
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
The laws to put criminals away for having a gun / shooting one are there, the problem is the police work, they rarely catch anyone, and when they do, their policework is so shoddy, that criminals can get off due to how poor the police are at their jobs

You can make laws so severe, like the death penalty, for having a gun/firing it, but that wouldn't matter since the policework isn't there.

I've said it in here before, why would criminals be concerned with the laws, when they never get caught? They're already willing to break them, so a severe law isn't going to scare them away, what is though is the prospect of getting caught, if that's high, they'll shy away

People like to deflect the issue away from the poor performance and blame the 'system' since it's the police who are putting themselves up to bat to do something, but you can't ignore the cases that get thrown out because of their poor performance, take a day out go down to the courthouse, and listen to some cases for yourself
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #2823

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

People like to deflect the issue away from the poor performance and blame the 'system' since it's the police who are putting themselves up to bat to do something, but you can't ignore the cases that get thrown out because of their poor performance, take a day out go down to the courthouse, and listen to some cases for yourself
People don't understand the system. They think they do and always cry "If in America...." but don't understand how similar our systems are. We are all based on the common law and yes some states might have harsher penalties than others but our system is no joke.

People study the legal system of one country for years and still barely get a grasp behind policy concerns and theory yet everyone on the internet has the idea that our system is flawed and we are better off adopting some other country's system.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #2824
they call me the snowman

Good thing you aren't scared of heights Parm. Or that high horse of yours wouldn't work.

Srsly tho, the Surrey RCMP put away hundreds of these gang members, and according to them, this current war was because of a power vacuum.....

Here dawg, let me get that for you.
Surrey shootings increasing, though police are making arrests | Vancouver Sun

Quote:
Mann said the suspects linked to the recent violence are not associated to the warring drug gangs involved in the 2015 conflict. In fact, the vacuum left by arrests last year has resulted in new players getting involved in the street level drug trade, he said.
Quote:
“After making over 800 arrests and detentions last year, we disrupted those who were involved in the drug conflicts last year,” he said. “The investigations into the recent shootings are progressing well. We are making headway thanks to the cooperation of the public and the intelligence gleaned through our enforcement efforts.”
And just because I'm a nice guy, check out this article from 2010 when we had the same problems. Granted, back then it was the bacons causing trouble. But I digress.

Vancouver gang violence blamed on power vacuum - British Columbia - CBC News

It's an interesting read.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 AM   #2825

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Good thing you aren't scared of heights Parm. Or that high horse of yours wouldn't work.
That's a little rude and uncalled for. I don't see how anything I said in that post portrays myself to be above anyone else [here].