REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

is this reasonable for such vehicle?

2005 Audi Allroad 2.7T 81300km. NAVI, fully loaded. assuming no major accidents

Price options:
1) 25900$ pay in full
2) This vehicle may be leased:
$6,000 down
$327.26 per month* for 36 months
$13,000 residual value
7.95% interest rate
* plus applicable taxes, on approved credit.

I think lease option is 7500$ more than buy out, is that normal or am i calculating wrong. Seriously interested in this car, but dont know what to do.

PS: anyone's driven or own this car. Should i buy or walk away (if it sucks) or find better price
(if its a rip-off). How much will maintence for audi be like, moving up from economical japanse car company. What should i expect?
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
How I Mod your mother

I've always been under the impression that euros are more expensive to maintain..
Also from what I've read on these boards, Audi's arent too reliable
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I've read on these boards
You mean Revscene, which are filled with new drivers who barely have money to scrape by for their first cars, let alone maintenance?

I would suggest the OP to do the research in Audi oriented website like http://forums.fourtitude.com/
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
You mean Revscene, which are filled with new drivers who barely have money to scrape by for their first cars, let alone maintenance?

I would suggest the OP to do the research in Audi oriented website like http://forums.fourtitude.com/
Yes, these boards = revscene
I'd say this site has its fair share of ppl who can afford more than just a car + maintenance
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
racing & tech mod.

I would strongly advise against leasing a 4 year old car, especially if it's an open end lease where you will be on the hook for the residual.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The air suspension alone will cost a fortune to maintain. keep an eye out for oil leaks, plugged pcv systems. Timing belt job can cost upwards of $1500 (dealer)
spydermanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I would strongly advise against leasing a 4 year old car, especially if it's an open end lease where you will be on the hook for the residual.
isnt it normal for every lease to have a residual/buy out in the end of the term. I am considering leasing cuz i dont have 25900 in wallet.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
That's a lot of KMs for a 4 year old vehicle.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

average 20,000km per year!!! what is the norm for daily driver?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Most manufacturers (GMAC, Ford Credit, BMW financial, etc etc) do CLOSED END leasing, which means you will not have to pay anything at the end of the lease. (unless you've leave dings and dents all over the car)

And OPEN ended lease is what most 3rd party leases, like JP leasing or Tricor do - which means the residual is estimated, and if the car is actually worth less than the residual after the lease is over, than YOU HAVE THE PAY THE DIFFERENCE. So if the residual is $13,000 but after 3 years they say it's only worth $10,000, YOU HAVE TO COME UP WITH $3000.

Usually only NEW cars have closed end leases. Most dealerships that offer leases on older cars, and doing open ended leases, which I don't like to subject people to.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ That's nice and Clear. Thank You
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Most manufacturers (GMAC, Ford Credit, BMW financial, etc etc) do CLOSED END leasing, which means you will not have to pay anything at the end of the lease. (unless you've leave dings and dents all over the car)

And OPEN ended lease is what most 3rd party leases, like JP leasing or Tricor do - which means the residual is estimated, and if the car is actually worth less than the residual after the lease is over, than YOU HAVE THE PAY THE DIFFERENCE. So if the residual is $13,000 but after 3 years they say it's only worth $10,000, YOU HAVE TO COME UP WITH $3000.

Usually only NEW cars have closed end leases. Most dealerships that offer leases on older cars, and doing open ended leases, which I don't like to subject people to.
oh, so residual is not the same as buy-out option at the end of leased term?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
racing & tech mod.

Residual is what the payment is based on, Buyout is what it'll cost you do buyout the car. USUALLY they will be exactly the same; mutually exclusive terms.

But what I'm trying to say, is that on a CLOSED END lease, the residual/buyout is FIXED. (good for YOU) whereas on an OPEN END lease, it is re-evaluated at the end of the lease, and you are responsible if there is a difference oweing.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Residual is what the payment is based on, Buyout is what it'll cost you do buyout the car. USUALLY they will be exactly the same; mutually exclusive terms.

But what I'm trying to say, is that on a CLOSED END lease, the residual/buyout is FIXED. (good for YOU) whereas on an OPEN END lease, it is re-evaluated at the end of the lease, and you are responsible if there is a difference oweing.
I've always wondered, who decides the value of the car after the term for the lease is up?

What stopping someone from say it's with 100 bucks and you have to pay a difference of XXXXX?
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #15

Quote:

so if i just want to walk away after lease term, residual and buy out will have no effect on me regardless of market value , am i right?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #16
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
so if i just want to walk away after lease term, residual and buy out will have no effect on me regardless of market value , am i right?
Only on a CLOSED END lease.

On an OPEN END lease, you are still responsible for the difference between market value and residual/buyout.

The easy way to remember is that when a closed end lease is done, it's CLOSED, shut, done, over.

When an OPEN end lease is up, you still have loose-ends to tie up, the door is still "open"..

get it?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
I've always wondered, who decides the value of the car after the term for the lease is up?

What stopping someone from say it's with 100 bucks and you have to pay a difference of XXXXX?
I *think* they base it on the Canadian Black Book. but I'm not 100% sure. It totally depends on what the contract states.

The bottom line is that if you are doing an open-end lease, and you think the lease end value is unrealistically high - don't sign the contract!!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermanx View Post
The air suspension alone will cost a fortune to maintain. keep an eye out for oil leaks, plugged pcv systems. Timing belt job can cost upwards of $1500 (dealer)
I wouldn't expect this car to be cheap to maintain, especially if you're coming from driving a japanese appliance on wheels. I've been eying an allroad for a long time. Just go to allroad forums for more info: forums.audiworld.com/allroad/

It's turbo-charged, quattro, with adjustable suspension... plus all the electronic gremlins that VW/Audi is known for. If you're paying someone else to do maintenance, expect the bills that come with owning this car. It's a bit of a gas hog too.

Still... that being said, I still would love to own this car. So as long as you know what you're getting into, then enjoy it.
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

oh yah price-wise, these things are dirt-cheap in teh states.
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/C...&distance=1448

17K USD for an 05 with 40K miles and Audi CPO'd
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

No i dont think thats resonable, i think dat its crap!
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #21

Quote:
I *think* they base it on the Canadian Black Book. but I'm not 100% sure. It totally depends on what the contract states.

The bottom line is that if you are doing an open-end lease, and you think the lease end value is unrealistically high - don't sign the contract!!

so ya, talked to the dealer, the lease will be open-ended. I just dont know if the car's residual price of 13000$ will be too high 3 yrs from now.

Also, how much more will I pay to import the same vehicle from USA, someone else provided a link to a nice one in Virginia. I like it but who knows if inspection, tax, transportation and safety updates will still make it a steal
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Only on a CLOSED END lease.

On an OPEN END lease, you are still responsible for the difference between market value and residual/buyout.

The easy way to remember is that when a closed end lease is done, it's CLOSED, shut, done, over.

When an OPEN end lease is up, you still have loose-ends to tie up, the door is still "open"..

get it?
if residual is lower than the market value of the car after the lease is done do they give money back?
Mwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post

you're one of them!
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #24
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwing View Post
if residual is lower than the market value of the car after the lease is done do they give money back?
No. That's called having "positive equity" at the end of your lease. You have to buy it out, and then sell it privately to make your money back.

If the lease-end value/residual/buyout was calculated more accurately your monthly payment would have been lower, and you could have just dropped the keys and walked away.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #25
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
No. That's called having "positive equity" at the end of your lease. You have to buy it out, and then sell it privately to make your money back.

If the lease-end value/residual/buyout was calculated more accurately your monthly payment would have been lower, and you could have just dropped the keys and walked away.

it sucks coz you can sell the car rite, but you have to buy out and add 12% tax, so it has to be a big difference in market value and risidual to make it fair
Mwing is offline   Reply With Quote