REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Which Punching Bag Brand

Looking to grab a punching bag, just wondering if there's a certain brand that's "better" than any others.

TIA
Advertisement
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

What are you using this for (boxing). Are you planning to keep this in your house?
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #3

probably going to put it in my garage, using it mainly for recreation now but planning to take up some boxing or mma in the near future.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
sas

Brands are not that important. The big names are Title, Ringside, Everlast to name a few.
And youll see alot of Wavemaster. Title and Ringside are VERY nice products. I would say, everlast would be the middle ground, around $100 per average bag ( around 80lbs ish)

Ok, when you are buying a punching bag, a few things to consider:

1. Leather vs. synthetics
Obviously, leather is your better bet if your in it for the long run (durability, rips tears,). However, it sounds like you just want it more for rec purposes than training and I would not turn down a synthetic if you find a good deal.

2. Size, weight etc..
Don't know how big you are, punching power.. But the heavier the bag, will develope punching power. They range anywhere from 75lbs to 200lbs for heavy bags. I recommend trying the 80lb bag if this recreational.

3. Do you have the proper support to hang the bag.
You will need a sturdy beam, ceiling etc.. if you want the traditonal bags. Factor in the chains etc.. The self standing ones are usually filled with water or sand and free standing. I do not like them: they're usually too light and I prefer the movement of a hanging bag.

In the end, I think you can get away with some synthetics (under 100lbs) and buy USED. Search craigs, no point in buying new. Tons of ppl buy and sell these things.

Last edited by sas; 02-16-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: sdafdsa
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice, I'll take a look on craigslist.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #6

I currently own a heavy bag and a thai (tall and skinny) both from Select. They're synthetic and pretty damn durable as far as I know. They both get used consistently 3-4 times a week for at least an hour and they show no signs of wear and tear yet over the past 1.5 years.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
sas

Select is good brand as well; I have a few of theirs 16oz sparring gloves. And Canadian.