REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Strange rear-facing light function (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565154-strange-rear-facing-light-function.html)

chunk_stir 02-18-2009 11:11 AM

Strange rear-facing light function

I was driving home from downtown the other night and followed a Mercury Grand Marquis that had some strange green light emanating from it's rear high-mounted brake light. at first, coming up behind it, I though it was a reflection from a green traffic light off the rear window. Then as I followed it, I realized it was from the car. It behaved strangely too. It didn't come on with teh brakes. It almost seemed to coincide with acceleration or application of the gas pedal. It was really irritating to drive behind though.

At first I thought it was some undercover police car, because it also had a short hidden light bar at the top of hte rear window... But the car was driven by a middle-aged man and his wife and the car didn't have the standard "police-issue" look to it (HD suspension and wheels, etc.)

My guess is that the operation of this is illegal, but I've never seen it before. So I'm just asking if anyone else knows more about this.

!Yaminashi 02-18-2009 11:17 AM

That definitely sounds illegal..

While we're on the topic of rear facing lights, I've seen some mini coopers and audi's with very bright red lights on their bumpers that seem to stay on, no matter what. Even if they're accelerating the light stays on.

What are these?

TOPEC 02-18-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6287725)
That definitely sounds illegal..

While we're on the topic of rear facing lights, I've seen some mini coopers and audi's with very bright red lights on their bumpers that seem to stay on, no matter what. Even if they're accelerating the light stays on.

What are these?

fogs lights for the rears, comes standard with alot of euro cars.

zulutango 02-18-2009 12:20 PM

Short hidden light bar...maybe a cyclops brake light as CV's come with them? Guy may have had tint on the back window that made it look green? He may have had a short or likes to ride with a foot on the brake & 1 on the gas.

The only vehicle permitted to legally have a green light is an EMO command post vehicle. Some SAR trucks have them.

chunk_stir 02-18-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6287836)
Short hidden light bar...maybe a cyclops brake light as CV's come with them? Guy may have had tint on the back window that made it look green? He may have had a short or likes to ride with a foot on the brake & 1 on the gas.

The only vehicle permitted to legally have a green light is an EMO command post vehicle. Some SAR trucks have them.

Well, the short hidden light bar was not emanating any light. It sat at the top of the window. No tint. Clear glass.

the green light came freom the center of the third-brake light. The third brake light functioned as normal, coming on with the brakes. But this green light would come on as he accelerated (or so it appeared). I thought it was a short too, but it was just strange to have a single-point green light come from the third brake-light

Inside the cab, it didn't seem to have any radio equipment and no radio antennas on the exterior anyways... Strange.

maybe we will never know...

wing_woo 02-18-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6287743)
fogs lights for the rears, comes standard with alot of euro cars.

I hate following cars that have that turned on. Following my friend's Audi was the most annoying thing. I was following him up to Kelowna and I finally couldn't take it anymore so I had my passenger txt msg his passenger to tell him to turn it off. They are blinding and annoying as hell.

johny 02-18-2009 06:56 PM

the rear fog lights are illegal in BC

Rich Sandor 02-18-2009 07:57 PM

I'll bet money it was a crystal decoration hanging from the rear brake light. It's not technically a "light" so they can't really get in trouble for it, but it reflects lights randomly like police lights. And driving a Grand Marquis, you know other people are going to think it's a cop car.

Probably just some old retired fart just trying to mess with everyone else.

chunk_stir 02-19-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6288551)
I'll bet money it was a crystal decoration hanging from the rear brake light. It's not technically a "light" so they can't really get in trouble for it, but it reflects lights randomly like police lights. And driving a Grand Marquis, you know other people are going to think it's a cop car.

Probably just some old retired fart just trying to mess with everyone else.

So how much do you want to put on it :) (Not that we can prove anything unless we come across the same car again) hehe...

Well, considering it was 8pm and dark, I don't think it was a reflection/crystal thing. I am confident it was an illuminated light because I drove immediately behind it for about 2 kms in stop and go conditions (S/B on Cambie street from Yaletown to W 12 AVe.

And yeah... it likely is someone trying to mess with people on the road (for whatever reason)

skidmark 02-19-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6288437)
the rear fog lights are illegal in BC

And that answer depends on who you talk to. I had this conversation with the CVSE people in Victoria and they tell me that rear fog lights ARE legal in BC. The MVAR Division 4 seems to say no, but the Superintendent's Standards for the Approval of a Vehicle contain them. Which do you follow? Is the government going to clarify the legislation? The answer was ???? to both.

I honestly don't know what to tell you other than that most BC drivers will likely figure that you are driving with your foot on the brake if you turn them on. I wouldn't use them unless it is foggy.

!SG 02-19-2009 11:42 AM

while driving a friends VW, i noticed this. to turn on the head lights, u have this turn dial on the dash on the left hand side.

to turn on the fogs, u pull it to the first "click", but easily can turn on the rear fog light accidently if u pull too hard as the rear fog light turns on when u pull the dial harder to its 2nd "click"

yes, they are annoying, it looks like someone is riding the brake pedal, and one of the light bulbs is broken cuz you only see 1 bright red light