REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Question for those of you who took riding school

Hey guys, I've signed up for lessons from PRS. I've never had any experience with motorcycles before. Just a quick question for others who've taken riding school. After finishing the course, were you comfortable enough to go straight to the road test? Or did you buy your own bike and practice for a few weeks before taking the road test?
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

when i took the course, i had no background in motorcycle riding or dirt bike riding or any of that. the course gave me enough confidence to book the road test 2 weeks after completion. ( it was also the earliest i could book my road test as per my class 6 licence)

i wasn't one of the "strong" riders in the class and i also dropped the sherpa in the parking lot. haha. but on my road test, i only got 1 demerit. so needless to say, PRS trains the shit out of you, while keeping it fun
TurtMcDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

PRS goes beyond the safety requirements in regards to the ICBC test. After PRS, i did my Road Test and got 1 demerit for speeding.
Good_KarMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I didn't have any experience prior to Action (before it became PRS). I got Dat and even till today we keep in contact. In fact I sold him some gear not too long ago! As long as you can show the examiners' you can control the motorcycle in a safe manner without endangering yourself or other motorists or pedestrians your fine. Because by the time your doing the test, your too focused on all the traffic rules that you shouldn't have any problems controlling the bike.

I can't remember what I got on my test, but I got nailed a couple times for having the bike drift over whenever I shoulder checked for a lane change and that was only due to inexperience from motorcycles at the time. I was also doing it in -3 degrees in Nov, the examiners took pity in me, since I almost ran a 4-way stop sign cause my hands froze. Then I almost dropped the bike at that same intersection cause my thighs were so tense from the cold. haha. Good times.

Anyway, when is your scheduled class? I will be dropping by PRS once their classes start to do some promoting and Dat and I will be working out a deal for some discounting for PRS grads.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

you will gain a lot of confidence in riding when you go through a course. Dat and the gang are really good
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

PRS is an excellent school. I had 0 experience, took the course, road test 1 week after, and i aced it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Must be funny when he sees his psychiatrist for treatment of his delusions of grandeur.

Hyde: "See my black Ferrari parked in the handicapped spot outside your office"
Doctor: "Where? All I see is a Yaris."
Hyde: "It's a Ferrari dammit! LoL! Yaris!?"
Doctor: " I'd appreciate if you didn't park in the handicap spots."
Hyde: "LOL! The ticket is only like $500 bucks. In fact, my dad's factory makes the handicapped street signs. If you look closely at vegetable in the wheelchair, it's really a picture of me when I was born."
Doctor: "Here, come a little closer you won't feel this at all."<Injects 20cc of Haloperidol>
Hyde: "I feel woozy...hey, what did you do to my Ferrari? That's a real piece of shit parked in my spot."
Doctor: "Welcome to reality."
Guy_LikeWhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks for all the tips guys! Looking forward to the course. Have to start saving up for my own gear now!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Dat and PRS will train you well for your road test. I finished the course, and took the road test as soon as I could to keep the training fresh and to prevent any bad habits from developing if I decided to get my own bike first. I just used their sherpas for the road test. My gf and I also decided to take the Mock road test with Kramer as well which was well worth it. So that is an option you can think about if you want more road experience, and also to get to know the routes that they will take you on.
I still keep in touch with Dat occassionally, and it has become a place to drop by on some of my road rides.
Good luck with your course!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Looking forward to the course! Unfortunately my course is not until June (I work in retail so I have erratic hours, had to take a week off work just to take the course!). I put down a deposit today on a '09 Ninja 250R, can't wait!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

yes definately take the course. at first i was like who needs a coursse my friend can teach me just as well and ill spend lots of time practing in the parking lot with my icbc road book. but wen i first went to BC safetly council for lessons, man did they teach me everything. right after the course bought myself a 600cc CBR and havent dropped it since. practice on te real road for a few weeks and no doubt youll be ready for the road test.

PM ME for questions or anything else!
unreal_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I had no riding experience (bicycles don't count) before PRS.

After the test, I was still pretty edgy. So I paid PRS $65 to do a mock exam (this is available if you ask after finishing the course). Good thing I did, because the instructor (Kramer) found 4 things I did wrong that would've resulted in an instant FAIL.

Took the ICBC the week after, and only got dinged for doing a wobbly turn (read the wrong set of *old* highway lines coming off the highway).

I am so glad I did that mock exam. Money well spent.

Last edited by slammer111; 03-19-2009 at 06:29 PM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
got my learners today and I start PRS on Monday. Cant wait.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialenemy69 View Post
got my learners today and I start PRS on Monday. Cant wait.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I remembered my 8L had an EARLIEST ALLOWED DATE for doing the MSA (ie the test that lets you ride outside the parking lot). Make sure your course is AFTER this date or you may be in for a nasty surprise!
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
As far as the Speed and daytime only riding restrictions, they do not apply when you are instructed by a licenced driver training school. So Im just gonna double check tomorrow about the MST two week waiting period if that applies with a school aswell. If not I can just reschedule in two weeks. Or do the course and then do the MST.

Quote:
If you take a rider training course

If you attend a certified training school, you may be able to bypass the regular motorcycle skills test. Instead, the school will assess your basic riding skills. If successful, you will be given a Certification Form. With this form you can have the supervisor and speed restrictions removed from your motorcycle learner's licence. Do this by taking the form, along with your Class 6L learner's licence to your nearest driver licensing office.

Last edited by socialenemy69; 03-25-2009 at 10:49 PM.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Last edited by Care; 09-08-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Either that or PRS, but I've heard that they aren't the best for female students...

Thanks!
Where did you hear that from? About 1/3 of my class was females, no problems. In fact, they say the girls tend to do better in the course than males
Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Has anyone here taken lessons at Pro Ride?

They teach in North Van which is where I live so I'm thinking it might be more convenient. Either that or PRS, but I've heard that they aren't the best for female students...and its so far from work and home...

Thanks!
It might be because they keep pushing you. Once you get good at a skill, then they challenge you more. They want you to make lots of mistakes in the parking lot. So I guess if you are very shy, or have a lot of self-esteem and don't like to make mistakes in front of others, then prs isn't for you.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Last edited by Care; 09-08-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #19

Quote:
No, no - I heard this secondhand so you never know if its true, but it was more like harrassment I guess. But then I've also heard awesome things about PRS. I just didn't want to sign up for a course and then HATE riding because of the instructor. I guess it really depends on the teacher though....

Thanks for the input
From what I have seen there I don't think any instructor would harass you. Well they might physically push you when you are trying to balance your bike(they only do this if you are actually good at balancing). But thats part of the learning process. They train you for the worst.

Anyways I don't think you have anything to worry about. The prs guys are really great. Basically if you go there with no attitude and willingness to learn... you will learn alot and have a great time doing it.

Last edited by SuperSlowSS; 06-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
SuperSlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
No, no - I heard this secondhand so you never know if its true, but it was more like harrassment I guess. But then I've also heard awesome things about PRS. I just didn't want to sign up for a course and then HATE riding because of the instructor. I guess it really depends on the teacher though....

Thanks for the input
I think they harass everyone lol. Kept chucking cones at me when I was trying to keep my balance I had Taro as my instructor, pretty laid back and funny guy. I've heard Kramer is pretty intense though!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
I think they harass everyone lol. Kept chucking cones at me when I was trying to keep my balance I had Taro as my instructor, pretty laid back and funny guy. I've heard Kramer is pretty intense though!
cool, I had taro too. he is really nice and laid back. I think he is the easiest. Kind of wish I had chris or kramer to push me even more. haha
Old 06-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Thanks for the input
I personally know Dat and in no way he will ever allow the harassment of female students, let alone any student at his school. In fact, all the reputable schools will never allow that. They actually WANT more females involved in motorcycling, so if anything, they encourage females to join.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

question how early do you have to sign up?
like can you register a week before the class begins?
and do you still have to take the roadtest at icbc after completing the course?
i have my Class 8L haha i wanna get my N asap
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
as early as possible to ensure a spot and time slot you want.
you can but chances of having the time slot you want are slim especially in the summer time.
Riding school gives you the MSA which lasts 1 yr. Don't be a chump just take the road test.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

prs is awesome!!! the instructors have a great sense of humour at the same time, great training to allow you to "stay alive" on the road.

what i take away from the course is what to look for when you're riding so you minimize the risk of getting into an accident adn thats the most important thing.

Your riding skills will get better when you start riding a lot so it takes time, but when you're in the course just pay attention to what Dat and his crew teaches you, definitely worth the money!!!
nammerstar is offline   Reply With Quote