REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Mazda i-stop Technology Shuts Off Engine at Red Lights (12% more efficient)

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C16914/

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Mazda said that it currently does not have any ambitions to produce a fully electric vehicle in the near future. That doesn't mean that they're not looking for ways to improve fuel economy and give a nod to Mother Nature though.

At the 2009 Geneva International Motor Show next month, Mazda plans on showing off a version of the Mazda3 with i-stop, an advanced fuel-saving start-stop system. With some hybrids on the market, you'll notice that you can keep the gas engine turned off at lower speeds, letting the electric motor do all the work. The concept is similar with Mazda's i-stop technology, except there does not appear to be an electric motor involved.

The i-stop system, which will also appear in the all-new Mazda3 MPS (which will eventually become the Mazdaspeed3 if the stars align), is designed to completely shut off the gasoline engine when you are sitting at a red light. By doing so, Mazda says that it can achieve 12 percent lower fuel consumption in the city.

The system is designed in such a way that it can start the engine back up in a matter of moments when you need to get up and go again. The zoom-zoom resumes a lot faster than a regular cold start and should not pose any safety hazards as far as we can tell.

The aforementioned Mazda3 MPS takes on the sport hatch configuration and gets powered by the MZR 2.3 DISI Turbo engine.
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Nothing new. GM has been using a system like this for a couple of years now.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
Nothing new. GM has been using a system like this for a couple of years now.
I think the difference here is that the GM uses the electric starter to get the car started, whereas Mazda is using their new vehicle starting procedure. Basically it injects a small amount of fuel in one cylinder, and puts a spark on it. This gets the motor started very efficiently, and is a lot smoother then the electric starter.

I could be wrong, but I know a couple of years ago Mazda was developing it.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My car has a very similar feature. I just need to make a certain twisting motion with my wrist...
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

bmw had this for a while now...

Quote:
Originally posted by too_slow
Bah.. Why are you guys complaining.. Im still driving my cute little 1.8T here.. sigh.. one day... i will join the vr6 elite group.. :(
zvrkan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
I think the difference here is that the GM uses the electric starter to get the car started, whereas Mazda is using their new vehicle starting procedure. Basically it injects a small amount of fuel in one cylinder, and puts a spark on it. This gets the motor started very efficiently, and is a lot smoother then the electric starter.

I could be wrong, but I know a couple of years ago Mazda was developing it.
That's pretty cool technology. I was going to say, it must be hard on the electric motor starters to be starting the engine so often. Imagine stop and go traffic...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

mmm.. so its like hybrid technology?? but not a hybrid car? doesn't it waste more gas when the engine restarts?
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@)(@ )*****(@)
J-Wangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Wangsta View Post
mmm.. so its like hybrid technology?? but not a hybrid car? doesn't it waste more gas when the engine restarts?
Haven't you seen the posters that say starting your engine up uses less gas than ten seconds of idling?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
qma
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Gas powered golf carts are like this too...
qma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Should We try to shut off our engine while waiting at the lights ??

I do that sometimes when it's a big intersection and after I just missed yellow...
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No they dont have this right now.

Mazda's implementation works on the theory that fuel would combust in chambers that have still have relatively high O2 and compression (valve closed). When the engine is turned off, there are still residual heat. They take the heat into account and use the piezo fuel injectors, to inject just the right amount fuel, so fuel + air will ignite and move the pistons enough to turn the crankshaft so the car will start again.

Obviously this will only work with cars with low internal friction and a light enough crankshaft.. not to mention DI is a given. So right now it is limited to I4 engines... Honda has this feature in one of the idtec engine.

It requires the engine ECU to be high speed and have enough senors (including feedback from Piezo injectors).

Since the latest engines uses electric AC, steering and pumps (fuel, air etc)... you DO NOT use perceptually more gas when stopping and starting.. However not as fuel efficient as atkinson cycled engine used in Hybrids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvrkan5 View Post
bmw had this for a while now...
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Since I hate nature, when I'm stopped at a light, I floor it and bounce the engine off it's redline.

Sure it uses more gas, but hey, chicks always stare.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
you
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Should We try to shut off our engine while waiting at the lights ??

I do that sometimes when it's a big intersection and after I just missed yellow...
might not be such a good idea because this would increase the wear and tear on ur starter
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
This title intentionally left blank MOD

That's exactly what GM'S BASS does. Shuts the truck's engine off at stoplights. 48V system that makes it into a hybrid, under the "hybrid" guidelines.

The reason just shutting your car off and turning it back on traditionally doesn't work is because of the slow cranking speed of a starter. You only get ~200rpm cranking with the starter. With the BASS and I'm guessing i-stop systems, it cranks the engine at idle speed (800-1000rpm) so you don't need to dump ungodly amounts of fuel through the injectors to get the engine turning.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Since I hate nature, when I'm stopped at a light, I floor it and bounce the engine off it's redline.

Sure it uses more gas, but hey, chicks always stare.
hahaha

I wouldn't want this gimmicky system anyways, what if someone was about to hit you and you needed to get out of the way NOW

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post
hahaha

I wouldn't want this gimmicky system anyways, what if someone was about to hit you and you needed to get out of the way NOW
u mean punch it into the middle of traffic ???
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
I don't get it either

from the sound of it, they have to stop the crank where one of the 4 cylinder is at the begining of the combustion cycle. I wonder how they do that efficently and effectively.

come to think of it, if the system fails or a sensor goes wrong, everytime u stop the car it'll stall hahaha.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #18

Except GM's system has more pumping loss due to the fact the valves have to open and shut to allow fuel in. In Mazda's case because the injectors inject directly inside the chamber, there is no that much loss relatively, so it is more efficient.

The GM system is more akin to the Atkinson cycle vs Otto cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
That's exactly what GM'S BASS does. Shuts the truck's engine off at stoplights. 48V system that makes it into a hybrid, under the "hybrid" guidelines.

The reason just shutting your car off and turning it back on traditionally doesn't work is because of the slow cranking speed of a starter. You only get ~200rpm cranking with the starter. With the BASS and I'm guessing i-stop systems, it cranks the engine at idle speed (800-1000rpm) so you don't need to dump ungodly amounts of fuel through the injectors to get the engine turning.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
The mazda's smile at me
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
u mean punch it into the middle of traffic ???
Make a right turn, change lanes, go up onto the curb...even moving over a few inches more can help emergency vehicle trying to get through

you'll learn what i mean as you gain more driving experience

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
sounds interesting actually.

but how does the car know u r at a stop light and not just in stop and go traffic.
i wouldnt want my engine off and on during rush hour, the faggot behind me is gonna honk like hell.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #22

Here is a though experiment.

The lowest engine rpm say is 500rpm -> 4500rpm.
A DI injector injects up to 5 times each cycle..

Since the chamber is still hot and primed.. just a squirt is required.

I highly doubt the car at the back will be honking you because your car needed to start up agian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
sounds interesting actually.

but how does the car know u r at a stop light and not just in stop and go traffic.
i wouldnt want my engine off and on during rush hour, the faggot behind me is gonna honk like hell.