REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Right of way at an intersection like this? (pic inside) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565423-right-way-intersection-like-pic-inside.html)

Great68 02-20-2009 01:48 PM

Right of way at an intersection like this? (pic inside)

http://www3.telus.net/bryster/intersection.jpg

I encounter this intersection every day on my drive home. I would be Car A turning left to proceed eastbound.

What happens is that cars on the other side (CarB & CarC) will often be turning left as well to go westbound. Even when I am clearly first to the stop sign on my side they will go ahead and try to turn left before me and it turns into a game of DodgeCar.

I treat it as any other intersection, if they get to their stop sign before me I will wait. Am I right in this case? I'm worried that someone is going to jump their stop sign and nail me one day and I will be in the wrong somehow.

Edit: Why can't I embed the image into my post in this forum?

skidmark 02-20-2009 05:46 PM

I can help with the traffic law, but not with the image question....

They are two different intersections, treat them as a T intersection individually. In either case, vehicles at the stop sign only have to stop and yield to through traffic on the other highway initially. Once on that highway and approaching the other intersection it becomes more complicated.

Entering through highway

175. (1) If a vehicle that is about to enter a through highway has stopped in compliance
with section 186,
(a) the driver of the vehicle must yield the right of way to traffic that has
entered the intersection on the through highway or is approaching so
closely on it that it constitutes an immediate hazard, and
(b) having yielded, the driver may proceed with caution.
(2) If a vehicle is entering a through highway in compliance with subsection (1),
traffic approaching the intersection on the highway must yield the right of way to
the entering vehicle while it is proceeding into or across the highway.

So, if the other vehicle came to the stop, yielded and entered the highway to approach you, it may or may not be required to yield and let you onto the highway depending on the timing involved.

Nice diagram BTW, it is much easier to understand what you are asking.

bui95 02-21-2009 12:53 AM

I'm thinking whoever makes it in the intersection first gets right of way. Pretend you're not making a left. If you were already heading east and B makes a left and the accident occurs, then its B's fault right? If B is already heading west and you tried to make a left, you'd be at fault. That's how I see it.

Soundy 02-21-2009 09:39 AM

As for the embedding question, I believe the Police Forum specifically is set to not allow embedded images. It's been thus for as long as I've been on RS... I would have expected it would have been done at a moderator's request.

skidmark 02-21-2009 03:46 PM

Not mine....

Although I could see problems with a database that got too big too soon if everyone posted images. Text doesn't take space so conserves $ on server costs.

sebberry 02-21-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6293205)
Not mine....

Although I could see problems with a database that got too big too soon if everyone posted images. Text doesn't take space so conserves $ on server costs.

It wouldn't impact the database size at all as it would simply show an image instead of the link. Embedding images is different from actually uploading them as attachments.

Soundy 02-21-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6293205)
Not mine....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6293375)
It wouldn't impact the database size at all as it would simply show an image instead of the link. Embedding images is different from actually uploading them as attachments.

Right... plus, every other forum (or every one I've visited) on RS allows embedded images... so it has to be a specific option set for this one.

Maybe you could talk to the powers that be about changing that, skidmark? :)

Great68 02-23-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6292090)
I can help with the traffic law, but not with the image question....

They are two different intersections, treat them as a T intersection individually. In either case, vehicles at the stop sign only have to stop and yield to through traffic on the other highway initially. Once on that highway and approaching the other intersection it becomes more complicated.

Entering through highway

175. (1) If a vehicle that is about to enter a through highway has stopped in compliance
with section 186,
(a) the driver of the vehicle must yield the right of way to traffic that has
entered the intersection on the through highway or is approaching so
closely on it that it constitutes an immediate hazard, and
(b) having yielded, the driver may proceed with caution.
(2) If a vehicle is entering a through highway in compliance with subsection (1),
traffic approaching the intersection on the highway must yield the right of way to
the entering vehicle while it is proceeding into or across the highway.

So, if the other vehicle came to the stop, yielded and entered the highway to approach you, it may or may not be required to yield and let you onto the highway depending on the timing involved.

Nice diagram BTW, it is much easier to understand what you are asking.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's pretty much whoever is into the straight part first gets the right of way.

I think I drew the cross streets too far apart, in reality the offset is actually less.

freakshow 03-01-2009 11:55 PM

It sounds like if an accident were to happen, the best you could hope for is 50/50, so you'd still have to pay icbc anyways.

Rich Sandor 03-02-2009 02:04 PM

As skidmark said, should be two different intersections. Don't worry about who gets there first, just worry about not getting hit or hitting anyone else!

Crossing "unscathed" is more important than crossing first.

BNR32_Coupe 03-04-2009 11:30 AM

Dodge car. If the other guy wants to be a prick and go first then let him. Or if you're in a capable car, safely accelerate to the speed limit without compromising the safety of yourself and others :thumbsup:

E=mc˛ 03-07-2009 01:32 AM

Reminds me of the intersection of venables and winderemere st.
I think for the most part, drivers from both directions are aware of what they're doing and since they're not going very fast, it's not really dangerous at all.
In situations like this, right-of-way isn't usually discussed. More often than not, it's a matter of both drivers making it through without hitting each other

stevo911_ 03-12-2009 05:01 PM

I've got a question thats pretty similar scenario at my new job, the orange is the indicators showing direction intended to turn
at quitting time (430 pm) theres constantly a lineup of cars coming from the airport heading into victoria, and a pretty steady stream of cars coming up from the bottom from sidney and victoria (needless to say it sucks trying to turn left out of my works driveway)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...rightfoway.jpg