REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Right of way at an intersection like this? (pic inside)

I encounter this intersection every day on my drive home. I would be Car A turning left to proceed eastbound.

What happens is that cars on the other side (CarB & CarC) will often be turning left as well to go westbound. Even when I am clearly first to the stop sign on my side they will go ahead and try to turn left before me and it turns into a game of DodgeCar.

I treat it as any other intersection, if they get to their stop sign before me I will wait. Am I right in this case? I'm worried that someone is going to jump their stop sign and nail me one day and I will be in the wrong somehow.

Edit: Why can't I embed the image into my post in this forum?
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

I can help with the traffic law, but not with the image question....

They are two different intersections, treat them as a T intersection individually. In either case, vehicles at the stop sign only have to stop and yield to through traffic on the other highway initially. Once on that highway and approaching the other intersection it becomes more complicated.

Entering through highway

175. (1) If a vehicle that is about to enter a through highway has stopped in compliance
with section 186,
(a) the driver of the vehicle must yield the right of way to traffic that has
entered the intersection on the through highway or is approaching so
closely on it that it constitutes an immediate hazard, and
(b) having yielded, the driver may proceed with caution.
(2) If a vehicle is entering a through highway in compliance with subsection (1),
traffic approaching the intersection on the highway must yield the right of way to
the entering vehicle while it is proceeding into or across the highway.

So, if the other vehicle came to the stop, yielded and entered the highway to approach you, it may or may not be required to yield and let you onto the highway depending on the timing involved.

Nice diagram BTW, it is much easier to understand what you are asking.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

I'm thinking whoever makes it in the intersection first gets right of way. Pretend you're not making a left. If you were already heading east and B makes a left and the accident occurs, then its B's fault right? If B is already heading west and you tried to make a left, you'd be at fault. That's how I see it.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
As for the embedding question, I believe the Police Forum specifically is set to not allow embedded images. It's been thus for as long as I've been on RS... I would have expected it would have been done at a moderator's request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

Not mine....

Although I could see problems with a database that got too big too soon if everyone posted images. Text doesn't take space so conserves $ on server costs.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Not mine....

Although I could see problems with a database that got too big too soon if everyone posted images. Text doesn't take space so conserves $ on server costs.
It wouldn't impact the database size at all as it would simply show an image instead of the link. Embedding images is different from actually uploading them as attachments.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Not mine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
It wouldn't impact the database size at all as it would simply show an image instead of the link. Embedding images is different from actually uploading them as attachments.
Right... plus, every other forum (or every one I've visited) on RS allows embedded images... so it has to be a specific option set for this one.

Maybe you could talk to the powers that be about changing that, skidmark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Quote:
I can help with the traffic law, but not with the image question....

They are two different intersections, treat them as a T intersection individually. In either case, vehicles at the stop sign only have to stop and yield to through traffic on the other highway initially. Once on that highway and approaching the other intersection it becomes more complicated.

Entering through highway

175. (1) If a vehicle that is about to enter a through highway has stopped in compliance
with section 186,
(a) the driver of the vehicle must yield the right of way to traffic that has
entered the intersection on the through highway or is approaching so
closely on it that it constitutes an immediate hazard, and
(b) having yielded, the driver may proceed with caution.
(2) If a vehicle is entering a through highway in compliance with subsection (1),
traffic approaching the intersection on the highway must yield the right of way to
the entering vehicle while it is proceeding into or across the highway.

So, if the other vehicle came to the stop, yielded and entered the highway to approach you, it may or may not be required to yield and let you onto the highway depending on the timing involved.

Nice diagram BTW, it is much easier to understand what you are asking.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's pretty much whoever is into the straight part first gets the right of way.

I think I drew the cross streets too far apart, in reality the offset is actually less.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
It sounds like if an accident were to happen, the best you could hope for is 50/50, so you'd still have to pay icbc anyways.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

As skidmark said, should be two different intersections. Don't worry about who gets there first, just worry about not getting hit or hitting anyone else!

Crossing "unscathed" is more important than crossing first.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Dodge car. If the other guy wants to be a prick and go first then let him. Or if you're in a capable car, safely accelerate to the speed limit without compromising the safety of yourself and others
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
I don't get it

Reminds me of the intersection of venables and winderemere st.
I think for the most part, drivers from both directions are aware of what they're doing and since they're not going very fast, it's not really dangerous at all.
In situations like this, right-of-way isn't usually discussed. More often than not, it's a matter of both drivers making it through without hitting each other
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
B&S Sexy mod

I've got a question thats pretty similar scenario at my new job, the orange is the indicators showing direction intended to turn
at quitting time (430 pm) theres constantly a lineup of cars coming from the airport heading into victoria, and a pretty steady stream of cars coming up from the bottom from sidney and victoria (needless to say it sucks trying to turn left out of my works driveway)
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote