REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   SR20DET Dreams (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565494-sr20det-dreams.html)

Shifty240 02-21-2009 11:25 AM

SR20DET Dreams

Hey guys, I've been browsing the web for a few days now with about 4000 saved up for ordering and swapping an SR20... finally.
Best price, delivered, so far is a blacktop for $2630, with ecu and wiring harness.
Anyone that has already been through this process with great results wanna help me out and drop a link?
Appreciate it,

Supralover 02-21-2009 11:42 AM

That is a little steep for an SR20, although not outrageous.

You should be able to find one for around the $2000 mark if you shop around.

Install wise, its pretty straight forward... we do quite a few of these swaps up here at my shop... it turns out usually to about $800-1000 all said and done including fluids and crap... If your decent with a wrench its a full day project.

Wiring is also pretty straight forward. Theres some good guides out there. for example: http://www.frsport.com/sr20det-swap-...r20-p-665.html

also if you go to bc240.com theres lots of guys on there with lots of experience with sr20s

Fleemer 02-21-2009 03:30 PM

http://www.projectzig.com/v240/index.php

go ther,e there are many links and build things everywhere, just search.

don't turn up boost on stock engine otherwise you'l blow things up.

Replace timing belt/waterpump/other easy stuff when its out :) (if its a good engine)

If you can, go take a look a tthe engine before buying it. or order from a reputable vendor, like jdmsource (though they are pricey, you get what you pay for)

HCR32 02-21-2009 04:20 PM

I did my SR swap in my 1990 240 about 4 years ago. I got my motor set from JDM source. Not a single complaint about them and I've referred many people to them and they've all bought motors with no complaints.

I paid $2500 SHIPPED for my S13 Redtop from them with all the usual stuff (Uncut wiring harness, ECU etc.) I used my stock KA24E MAF.

I was lucky when I did my swap cause I bought the majority of the parts used off a guy who just blew his SR up. I got a FMIC with BOV and all piping, 3.75" Apexi catback, Walboro 255lph pump, silvia gauge cluster. All I sourced myself was a turbo outlet and 3" downpipe.

I rolled my car in the garage on a friday night and pushed it out sunday afternoon and started the SR. I could have done it faster but I was in no rush and would frequently leave for a couple hours then come back and work on it.

SR's don't have timing belts, they have a timing chain. I didn't change it cause it's really not a replaceable part. I also didn't change the water pump or any belts cause they were all in good shape and had been changed before.

Basically when it comes down to it, do it right. If i were to do it again I'd change the water pump and belts no matter what (just for piece of mind). Also get a walboro
(or bosch) fuel pump. It's only like $100 and it's also piece of mind that the motor is getting the correct amount of fuel. You can do a front mount intercooler @ your own will. They aren't that expensive and if you wanna play with the boost it's a must. But a side mount will do if you just want to get it running and drive it. You can pick stock SR side mounts with piping up for cheap.

Theres lots of websites out there with parts and how to guides.

www.phase2motortrend.com
www.pdm-racing.com
www.sr20store.com
www.frsport.com
www.heavythrottle.com (Really good guides and info there. Also, some good swap packages as well like all the belts and a water pump at a package deal sort of thing).

Now I know with this being revscene my entire post is going to get ripped apart and I'm going to get told how wrong I am so just PM me if you want any more info. I've done the swap myself once and helped friends many times so I know whats going on.

Hope this helps and just PM me

2turboz 02-21-2009 05:56 PM

fuck it i'll just pm you

Fleemer 02-21-2009 08:04 PM

sorry, forgot those truck motors ran on chains ;P

HCR32 02-21-2009 08:47 PM

I never knew SR's were a truck motor...unless your referring to the KA..

Fleemer 02-21-2009 10:13 PM

just teasing :)

and yes i'm refering to the KA

i just prefer the SRs race bred bretheren ;P

Shifty240 02-22-2009 12:26 AM

Nice work guys, I appreciate the help! Dropping for 4 grand on a swap isn't easy, but breathing new life into my baby IS!
Keep up the posts the more feedback the better!
thanks!

HCR32 02-23-2009 10:43 AM

I think when I did my swap from the time I pulled into the Garage to pulling out with the SR running and all the parts was close to $4500-$5000.

Another quick note. Put a new clutch in when you get it. I used a stage 2 Exedy clutch and it was only like $250. It's one less thing to worry about and its super easy to do when the motor and trans. are sitting on a pallet.

Also, if you can, get a turbo outlet and downpipe. My swap from JDM source didn't come with a downpipe and I wanted to upgrade anyways so I bought a package deal on a outlet and downpipe and just replaced them both. Again, the outlet is super easy to change when the motor is sitting on a pallet and they're both relatively cheap off eBay.

Also make sure you check the oil pan as well. Remember that the motor has traveled half way around the world sitting on it's oil pan on a pallet. SR's have very MINIMAL clearance between the pickup and the bottom of the pan and if there's even the smallest dent you'll be starting it with no oil pressure like I did. So I pulled the pan off and beat the shit out of it so it was like convex and never had a problem after that.

If I think of anything else I'll post it up for you

dustinb 02-24-2009 07:42 AM

Oil pan is crucial. No matter what, remove it and hammer out the bottom of it. We've taken sr20 pans off that look mint, but can clearly see where the pan is sitting against the pump.

HCR32 02-24-2009 03:12 PM

Yea, it's scary how Nissan would design something like that. You could barely hit a curb or a rock in the road and all of a sudden...bye bye oil pressure...and motor

dustinb 02-24-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCR32 (Post 6298611)
Yea, it's scary how Nissan would design something like that. You could barely hit a curb or a rock in the road and all of a sudden...bye bye oil pressure...and motor

Happened to a customer from Vancouver. His dad paid us to put a SR black into a 91 240sx for his son. Once we finished it, his son took it back home and totally slammed it. Drove over some bump, hit the pan, and screwed the motor.

HCR32 02-24-2009 09:53 PM

Snap, that sucks. I remember when I started my SR for the first time after I did the swap and my Dad yelling at me to shut it off cause there was no oil pressure.

Those oil pans are horrible. If it's in your budget buy a REAL GReddy one or something. Don't buy knockoff ones cause I've heard horror stories of the flapper doors inside the pan seizing and oil not getting to the motor.

h0tSX 02-25-2009 10:13 AM

stupid oil pans. :(

like ben said, hammer out the old one, you can buy a new sump pickup too, and for good measure,if you have the cahs, ditch the stocky and grab an aftermarket pan.