REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Passenger Leaving The Scene Of An Accident (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565563-passenger-leaving-scene-accident.html)

JdmProbe 02-21-2009 11:37 PM

Passenger Leaving The Scene Of An Accident

3 of my friends were in an accident last night that had no injuries or deaths.
The driver was tailgating a suv and the suv brake checked him. This caused my friend to swerve around him and lose control. He managed to not hit much only a curb. There were 2 passengers in this car and one of them panicked and left the scene right away. The witnesses saw this and told the police. The passenger who fled was then called by the police and he gave all his info to the officer. The Officer told him to not be such an idiot next time and hung up.

Now my friend is scared he is going to be charged for leaving the scene of an accident.

I thought that only the driver can be charged for that when there are no injuries.

So is it possible he will be charged?

CRS 02-22-2009 08:57 AM

I highly doubt he will be charged.

Though he is an idiot for leaving the scene. There was no real crime committed here so I don't see him being charged with anything. However, if your friend is on his class 7N, and he left, I can see him possibly being charged with something.

JdmProbe 02-22-2009 09:11 AM

I see, well the guy that left the accident does not even have a license.

Thanks btw

LeanNsupreme 02-22-2009 09:28 AM

How the hell would the passenger be charged? He is not the primary driver.

JdmProbe 02-22-2009 11:31 AM

I know that's what I was saying...

He took law in high school apparently and he remembers learning that he could be charged...

lol

skidmark 02-22-2009 03:14 PM

Duty of driver at accident

68. (1) The driver or operator or any other person in charge of a vehicle that is, directly or indirectly, involved in an accident on a highway must do all of the following:
(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;
(b) render all reasonable assistance;
(c) produce in writing to any other driver involved in the accident and to anyone sustaining loss or injury, and, on request, to a witness
(i) his or her name and address,
(ii) the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle,
(iii) the licence number of the vehicle, and
(iv) particulars of the motor vehicle liability insurance card or financial responsibility card for that vehicle, or such of that information as is requested.

There is no onus on the passenger to remain.

simsimi1004 02-22-2009 03:41 PM

isn't there something about, if ur a witness to an accident, your legally obligated to stay? whether or not your involved in it. ??

JdmProbe 02-22-2009 07:09 PM

I say if your the only witness or there is not over 2 witnesses on scene. Then you should stay. But if there is a bunch of witnesses already staying than I think you should give them your info and get on with your business.

teaoh 02-22-2009 07:46 PM

your whole incident could of been avoided if your freind wasnt being an idiot by tailgating the suv

skidmark 02-22-2009 08:21 PM

Witnesses always make life easier in an investigation. If you don't do anything else or have to leave due to an important commitment, just leave your name and number so that the investigators can get back to you. Each witness is unique and you never know if you have the one key bit of information needed.

Of course, if you expect help from witnesses when you need it, you have to be prepared to give it for others.

JdmProbe 02-22-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaoh (Post 6295116)
your whole incident could of been avoided if your freind wasnt being an idiot by tailgating the suv

Yeah he is a road raging idiot sometimes... Two days before the accident he got away with a dispute for driving without consideration(Cop didn't show up) which was for the same sort of scenario only he didn't lose control and crash. He has already lost his license twice for these kinds of things. I guess it takes some people a long long time to learn... if ever.