REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Accident: Person who hit me has no BCDL on hand

so, "john" got into an accident with "Billy". Billy does not have a BCDL at the time of incident, and produces his BCID as form of ID. is there a law in the MVA that states anything regarding this?

John is going thru ICBC and ICBC says billy is not at fault.
does icbc not have a policy for drivers who get into an accident who dont have a valid BCDL at the time of the incident?? (valid = forgotten at home )

all help is appriciated!

cheers

"tom"
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

Duty of driver at accident

68. (1) The driver or operator or any other person in charge of a vehicle that is, directly or indirectly, involved in an accident on a highway must do all of the following:
(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;
(b) render all reasonable assistance;
(c) produce in writing to any other driver involved in the accident and to anyone sustaining loss or injury, and, on request, to a witness
(i) his or her name and address,
(ii) the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle,
(iii) the licence number of the vehicle, and
(iv) particulars of the motor vehicle liability insurance card or financial responsibility card for that vehicle, or such of that information as is requested.

You'll note that there is no requirement for the other driver to show their license to you, only that if you ask for it, they need to write the information down and give it to you.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

ok. so driving without a licence is "ok" as far as u dont get into an accident ??

btw: is this ur blog? : http://www.alberni.ca/articles/artic...nse/Page1.html

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
ok. so driving without a licence is "ok" as far as u dont get into an accident ??

btw: is this ur blog? : http://www.alberni.ca/articles/artic...nse/Page1.html
That is his blog, and if you read the article you linked, you'd know that driving without a licence is not "ok" regardless of having an accident or not. Common sense should tell most people that driving without a licence isn't "ok".
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

So was the driver licensed but was not able to produce the physical license at that time or was he not licensed at all?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

at the time of the accident , the driver was not able to produce his BCDL. He had his BCID only.

We are not sure if he has a valid BCDL. I'm sure ICBC knows, but we dont have that info..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

having it on him or not doesn't make any difference to the crash.... the only difference is the police could give him a ticket if they showed up. ICBC is not going to care if he had it on him or not. they only care if he has one or not.

personly I would call the police and make them show up if I was in a crash and the other person coudn't provide a DL. to actully ID the person. otherwise they could just be giving you somebody elses info, and not have a DL themselfs.

but it's too late for that now, there is nothing you can do, or need to do now about it.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I don't think that I said that anywhere in my post. You have to have your DL with you at all times when driving and produce it to police on demand.

No, you will find mine at DriveSmartBC Alberni Online carries my Behind the Wheel column the same way RevScene does.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote