REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Question Genesis Coupe may not be so great after all?

ok I'm not trying to make another fight club thread but I did some research on the websites about the Genesis coupe.
oh just so that you know, I didn't look around on the net just to find out criticism about the Genesis coupe and say bad things about it. I really was just curious about its performance.

anyways, for example Autoblog says the Genesis coupe is really heavy. It weights something like 3400 or 3500lbs depending on what model.
The 4cyl Turbo Genesis coupe is actually around 130lbs heavier than the Mustang V6.

The Turbo 4cyl Genesis accelrates 0-60mph in somewhere around 7.5 to 8.3 seconds depending on what website you look at(I went to several websites to see the time). This isn't very impressive...the natually aspirated front-wheel-drive 2.0L RSX Type-S or 1.8L Integra Type-R can easily beat this time. The RSX does 0-60mph in about 6.5-6.7 seconds.

Also the V6 Genesis, the price is only few grand cheaper than the 370Z, but does 0-60mph in 6.0-6.5 seconds, only a bit faster than the RSX, a front-wheel-drive Honda with much less displacement, hp and torque.

The 370Z does 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and the price will be $29,930 US. The Genesis coupe with V6 will be priced similarly, only coupe grand cheaper. (The V6 Genesis will be around $27,000-$29,000US, correct me if I am wrong)

So...yeah comparing to the 370Z I found that the Genesis coupe less attractive. Not trying to be a hater or fanboy, but what do you think? Did you guys know about the Genesis coupe's performance specs? Hyundai says the Genesis coupe is "expected" to do 0-60mph in less than six seconds, but everywhere I look, I don't see that time.
Advertisement

Last edited by Timpo; 02-24-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
both cars are fail IMO....

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
straight from the fields of squamton

coupe weighs just over 3200lbs

0-60 is much faster than 7.5 seconds

another sweet Timpost
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #4

OWNED
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
The RSX and Type R are no longer produced.

However, to humour your thoughtless commentary. An Accord V6 can beat an RSX and Type-R in a straight line.

What is the better driver's car?

Straight line isn't everything. Even magazine racers know that now.

Kev
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

test drove the genesis. its drives like an appliance. its neither sporty nor exciting. its heavy, its loud, its slow, it handles pretty poorly. the back seats are useless. it is physically impossible to fit human beings taller than 5 feet in the back. on the plus side, fit and finish is very good. but thats about it.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #7

hmm ok so the Genesis Coupe might actually be really slow. We don't know the Genesis' skid pad or slalom speed but reading toyota86's comment above, I suspect it is not going to be impressive.

The 370Z's handling is actually very comparable to the BMW...only for like $2,000 more than the Genesis coupe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Po7XrQYIE
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

BENCH RACING FTWWWWW

Something you fail to put into consider is the fact that you get the option of brembo, LSD and most importantly, the 4B11T at a lower price compared to the 370z and the RSX, which is by the way DISCONTINUED. I think the most attractive selling point is that it is a relatively cheap turbo I4 rwd car. How good a car is is not only measured by 0-60...
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
BENCH RACING FTWWWWW

Something you fail to put into consider is the fact that you get the option of brembo, LSD and most importantly, the 4B11T at a lower price compared to the 370z and the RSX, which is by the way DISCONTINUED. I think the most attractive selling point is that it is a relatively cheap turbo I4 rwd car. How good a car is is not only measured by 0-60...
ok if you're complaining about the RSX because it's dicontinued, I'll just use a Civic Si as an example.

The price of Civic Si and Turbo 4cyl Genesis are the same, so it's a perfect comparison.
If I'm not wrong, the Civic does 0-60mph in 6.8 seconds. The Turbocharged 4cyl RWD coupe that makes more power/torque does 7 or 8 seconds...I know 0-60mph isn't everything, but that's only to the certain point.

I know Miata was not fast, but it was RWD and light weight, it was nimble and fun to drive. This does not seem like the case with Genesis coupe.

but hey, 2.0L 4cyl RWD turbo coupe should do way faster than 7 or 8 seconds.
I'm sure similar cars, like Nissan Silvia could go way faster and handle better.

I'm guessing the Genesis' weight is causing the problem. It's heavier than Mustang so yea...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i never understood how different cars with different tires are compared in a skid pad test to determine which is the better car
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
i never understood how different cars with different tires are compared in a skid pad test to determine which is the better car
yeah that's how I used to think. The Lotus Elise has Advan Neova tires, and what would happen if you swap some sort of Canadian Tire brand tires?

but that's like saying "how can you call Ferrari a fast car? if you swap a Corolla engine in it, I wonder which one is actually faster, Ferrari or Corolla?" or "the ZR-1 and GT-R specV have carbon ceramic brakes, how can you say these cars have good braking distance when they have expensive brakes?"

you know? you can argue about the spring rate, 4 speed auto or 8 speed dual-clutch, all the things will add up.

so I think you should just look at it as a car.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
It's just really good platform for modding into all sorts of motorsports use vehicle....

that's what the Genesis coupe is, similar to what the Silvia series had been - versatility. It's not meant to be luxurious or particularly fast but the package is just.....awesome for modifying. It rolls out of the dealership as nothing more than a canvas you can paint on, it's certainly not a finished product.

that's where I see the appeal. And the price. To drive out of the lot under 29K with 210bhp going to the right wheels is win. And you know you can squeeze another 20 30bhp on it the next day if you plug in a boost controller.... It's that kind of car.

Back then the 240SX made 155HP. People still bought them, and that made what Nissan is today. I applaud them for the strategy they employ this is going to sell no matter what Timpo is going to say but it wouldn't be for the fact that the Genesis coupe is such a great car out of the box.

The car looks great but it has no pretensions or any heritage worth mentioning so you don't look like a twat coming out of it all skinny, dorky and look like whiter than florescent light (even if). The price is right so you don't break your bank on it (but you can break it on all sorts of aftermarket company to make it YOUR WHIP)....I mean most of RSers might have grown out of that sort of car by now but there will always be younger folks than us that just got a license and want a sporty thing to drive and mod. Gen Coupe is the answer.

There are people who buy the iPhone 3G because it's Apple and that makes them a twat. Then there are people who go out to buy the HTCs and Blackberry because its functions are l33t and the price is right. Surely the HTC and Blackberry have little funky problems here and there but whoever owns one of these goes out to hack it anyway. That's how the Genesis Coupe customers think.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 02-25-2009 at 07:38 AM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Back then the 240SX made 155HP. People still bought them, and that made what Nissan is today. I applaud them for the strategy they employ this is going to sell no matter what Timpo is going to say but it wouldn't be for the fact that the Genesis coupe is such a great car out of the box.

The car looks great but it has no pretensions or any heritage worth mentioning so you don't look like a twat coming out of it all skinny, dorky and look like whiter than florescent light (even if). The price is right so you don't break your bank on it (but you can break it on all sorts of aftermarket company to make it YOUR WHIP)....I mean most of RSers might have grown out of that sort of car by now but there will always be younger folks than us that just got a license and want a sporty thing to drive and mod. Gen Coupe is the answer.
Cars only had 2 airbags back then... Cars are much safer now, due to much stronger passanger cell. 155HP at today's weight standard is SLOW. (ie. a FWD family compact sedan is now around 1250kg)

This car is EXPENSIVE if you bought this Genesis Coupe for 35k new and 2 years later,it's worth 15k or less.

meanwhile, my 2.5L turbo gets my AWD car from 0-60 in 5.6sec

Build-quaility and depreication always let Korean cars down.

This car might have Great DESIGN, but crappy build quaility..

Last edited by cococly; 02-25-2009 at 09:33 AM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
The only full review I have read so far is from Car Magazine out of the UK.

Brits reviewing a Korean car?

CAR Online has just driven Hyundai’s new rear-wheel drive Genesis Coupe. And it’s good. Very, very good. Hyundai hasn’t yet committed to bringing the car to the UK, but our first drive confirms that – like Barack Obama and the US – the Genesis Coupe would be a transformational character for Hyundai.

CAR getting hot under the collar about a Korean coupe? Are you well? Is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe that good?
Absolutely. We drove this car hard for three full days on everything from motorways to dual carriageways and the twistiest, emptiest back roads we could find. As you can tell, we came away impressed.

Full Story

Kev
Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

ahhh .. i knew it.... the genesis is only a pretty face.... i had an inkling that the performance specs were not going to be very impressive.. WRX ftw!! =P
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@)(@ )*****(@)
J-Wangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

370Z and 135i seem like two far-different cars to me

135i is a sporty-but-cushy car designed 50% for fun and 50% to haul around my cookie dough soft fat ass.

370Z seems boy-racer, and to be honest, 350Zs and 370Zs seem like a dime a dozen. G35 is a dime a dozen as well. I see so many of them!

Almost no new cool cars out there, imo, cars from 10+ years ago are still cooler.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
BENCH RACING FTWWWWW

just becuz it have all the necessary hardware doesn't mean it drives great
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post

How do u know build quality sucks? Sit in one maybe you'll learn something new.
Prostrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Cars only had 2 airbags back then... Cars are much safer now, due to much stronger passanger cell. 155HP at today's weight standard is SLOW. (ie. a FWD family compact sedan is now around 1250kg)

This car is EXPENSIVE if you bought this Genesis Coupe for 35k new and 2 years later,it's worth 15k or less.

The resale value is irrelevant if the Genesis can't be sold to someone in the first place.

i.e. it's priced right FOR HYUNDAI to get in the game. A whole different ballpark than it's priced right FOR YOU.

I doubt it will depreciate the same way other Hyundai products do though it is distinctive enough that I can see a cult following going for it really soon. Just like how you can still sell pos 240SXes and AE86s for a lot of money just coz there aren't anything like that out there. Until there is Genesis Coupe.

So 10 years later you might be surprised how much a 10 year old Hyundai might go for.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

You can probably have more fun beating the shit out of a turbo I4 with LSD and RWD driving with skill, than you can pimping around in a boring ass 100k+ sportscar that you don't know how to drive.

It's not what kind of car you have, but what you do with it!
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Err.. Having owned a few Subaru's in the family.. They're definately very reliable and durable, but they aren't great quality.. Let's not even throw depreciation into the formula.

Have you guys try closing a door on a new 2009 Impreza??

Impressions from my female friend at the chicago auto show when she slammed the door to a WRX : "shit, did i just break something???"

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

^^

hahahaha
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

WHY OH WHY did they have to make it so damn heavy!!!!!

if it was even 400lbs lighter it would PWN!

so 1990TSI owns one now... he should start modding it to make it lighter! like.. remove spare, remove rear seats, gut interior.. hahaha

fuk.. only if this car handled like a 86
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
Banned (BBM)

lol owned

still a hyundai

WRX, Lancer turbo , MS3 still gets my vote
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
lol owned

still a hyundai

WRX, Lancer turbo , MS3 still gets my vote
True that, a Ferrari F430 and Vette ZR-1 still gets my vote

Originally posted by Jocelyn
So, I guess a valentines day would include a blow job in the car with the PS2 hooked up and porn lined up.

Originally posted by Marco911
My C4S will ass rape a Z06 on a rainy day too.

Originally posted by KuSouL
even tho Timpo's an ass ~ he actually knows what he's talking about

Originally posted by maxx
where r jags assembled nowadays? back when they were made in GB, they were rock-solid, dependable and great cars.. now i hear the opposite.

Originally posted by maxx
lol.. Ford never even heard of Dakar not to mention get somewhere in it.
LowTEC is offline   Reply With Quote