REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Bouncing Cheque

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the MVA but I had a question. I was givin a cheque by a tenant who has since moved out. The cheque has been returned and says the account was closed. I have left messages with the tenant asking them to call me and that it was important and they are completly ignoring me. I thought it was a mistake at first but now I think it was intentional so that they could stay the last month without having to pay. Is it possible this is cheque fraud? Should I be contacting the RCMP? I have no idea what my options are.
Advertisement
TDCRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Contact the RCMP and see what they can do. Typically people will cough up the money if they think the police are involved. If the RCMP won't do anything, take it to small claims. As long as you have proof of the monthly rent and the cheque that bounced, the judge will award you the money.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
it's tough. there's only a few things you can do.
1) call them, leave them a message that they didn't pay their rent for the last month. tell them you have kept a record and they forgo their damage deposit.
2) tell them you want to resolve this without going to small claims court.
3) you need their new address so you can serve them documents.
4) once you go to small claims court, u'll most likely win. HOWEVER, it's the next step that's hard. a) you need to garnish their accout b) their salary.

u don't have their new accout info. so unless you're well connected like me, you won't be able to find out any details from their current bank accout. (you also need their FULL name)
if you want to garish their salary, you'll need to know his banking / salary schedule before you can garish.

i have 2000 that i need to collect from tenant, but .. meh.. it's a lost cause since he's unemployed.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

hopefully some of you RS'ers will turn a blind eye to this post but I say take the law into your own hands.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

Be careful of what you say if you manage to contact them. If you exchange the cheque for their promise to pay you have effectively extended them credit. Best to get some legal advice on this from someone familiar with the civil law involved.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

If you can prove that they knowing gave you the check without having the funds/that it would bounce, there are legal implications/charges that can result. Frauds are generally difficult and lengthy/time consuming files. Contact legal counsel with experience in civil matters such as this, and contact your local police detachment to start a file and see if they're able to do anything on their end.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

I believe writing a cheque AFTER they closed the account is consider fraud..and the police will do something about it.

On the other hand, if the chq bounces (NSF), then the police won't do anything about it, cause this is considered more like a credit issue.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote