REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What to do if involve in an accident, other driver refuse to exchange info

As title say, my dad just got into an accident with another car, (got hit from behide) both car cant move after the accident, my dad copied down the other car's license plate but the driver refuse to exxhange driver info like license and insurance in etc.... what can my dad do to protect his right?
Advertisement
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Both cars couldnt move after the accident? How about call the police and get them to get the info, since he isn't going anywhere lol

Also take pictures of what happened and get his license plate number, hard to deny when you show icbc picture proof.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
NNT

yeah, actually my dad still on scene waiting for cop to show up, but lets say if both car are still movable, and other driver just refuse to exchange info and took off, I guess there isnt much can be done other than report to ICBC with the license plate, right?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Call the police first.

In this case, you can call 911. since both cars should sustain more than$1000 of damage?
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Crime in progress or about to be committed, call 911.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Duty of driver at accident

68. (1) The driver or operator or any other person in charge of a vehicle that is, directly or indirectly, involved in an accident on a highway must do all of the following:
(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;
(b) render all reasonable assistance;
(c) produce in writing to any other driver involved in the accident and to anyone sustaining loss or injury, and, on request, to a witness
(i) his or her name and address,
(ii) the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle,
(iii) the licence number of the vehicle, and
(iv) particulars of the motor vehicle liability insurance card or financial responsibility card for that vehicle, or such of that information as is requested.

You'll note that there is no requirement for the other driver to show their license to you, only that if you ask for it, they need to write the information down and give it to you.
By refusing to give you his information, he's breaking the law. Leaving the scene makes it even worse. Call 911, fo sho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
yeah, actually my dad still on scene waiting for cop to show up, but lets say if both car are still movable, and other driver just refuse to exchange info and took off, I guess there isnt much can be done other than report to ICBC with the license plate, right?
I assume your dad's situtation has been resolved by now.

In regards to your question, if both cars were still movable after the accident and the other driver refused to exchange info and took off that would count as a hit and run.

In a case like getting the other person's license plate down would be vital. Following which stay at the scene and call the police immediately. Police will either attend the scene, or if the damage is relatively minor ask you to come in and make a police report. You would have 24 hours to report the accident to ICBC since if it's in the city. If it's on the highway or outside the city then you have 48 hours.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #8

Also, if you're in an accident, especially late at night and you don't feel safe getting out of your car (case where the person purposely hits you so they can jump you and rob you when you come out), then you should call the police before doing anything.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
NNT

ok, the other driver agree to exchange info after cops arrived. going to call ICBC a bit later today.
What I am thinking is if that happens to me and the if both car are still drivable, and the other driver just refuse to exchange info and refuse to stay on scene till cop arrives, there's noway I can stop the other driver from leaving, then only the license plate would be good to ICBC? Would there be any disadvantage to me when dealing with ICBC if thats the only info I got?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
I don't get it

well if the other guy refuses its not like ur going to grab his wallet and get his info

so therefore you just get whatever informatino you CAN get
ie. license plate, maybe description of driver in case its stolen or something

since your insurance policy should cover you for OTHER people not having insurance, you will probably need to grab witnesses too

its not like u can stand there and cry just b/c the other guy doesn't give info, you try your best to get what you CAN get...
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Cell phone camera...everybody has one don't they? May convince the other driver to stay..or at least help in your claim.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #12

By the time I get my phone set to take a picture, the guy would be long gone. haha.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
What I am thinking is if that happens to me and the if both car are still drivable, and the other driver just refuse to exchange info and refuse to stay on scene till cop arrives, there's noway I can stop the other driver from leaving, then only the license plate would be good to ICBC? Would there be any disadvantage to me when dealing with ICBC if thats the only info I got?
You get as much info as you can. Obviously the license plate is the first step... but other than that, I guess all you can do is try to remember what the driver looks like.

If it ends up being a stolen vehicle and they can't track down who was actually driving it, I think it'll be processed as a hit and run... but if they can track down the driver, then that person is going to be in some deep doo-doo.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
The "You'd Know" Moderator

You should start the video function on the cellphone when you get out of your car, you could put it in your pocket until you encounter a situation like this.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Another suggestion..buy a $ store disposable camera & keep it in the glove box. Get the ones with a flash,,,makes a better impact when used. No focus, just point & shoot.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
Director of RS Cares

find a witness
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
agreed. i learned this from a friend of mine, just keep a cheap disposable camera in the car. snap away.

- at your car, license plate and damages
- at other car, license plate and damages
- other driver, if the other driver complains, tell them its ur right against icbc fraud and throw in the line u are helping them from being screwed over.
- location of accident
- street if possible.

it all helps icbc. faster claim, everyone is happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Another suggestion..buy a $ store disposable camera & keep it in the glove box. Get the ones with a flash,,,makes a better impact when used. No focus, just point & shoot.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
agreed. i learned this from a friend of mine, just keep a cheap disposable camera in the car. snap away.

- at your car, license plate and damages
- at other car, license plate and damages
- other driver, if the other driver complains, tell them its ur right against icbc fraud and throw in the line u are helping them from being screwed over.
- location of accident
- street if possible.

it all helps icbc. faster claim, everyone is happy.
Except the other driver

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you never know. i was involved in an accident years back where i was the car that got hit, but inturn, my car hit the car in front of mine. there was damage made to the car behind me from a pole that was knocked down, but the sign was gone. made some under car damage to the car behind me. the pictures i provided for icbc helped him be able to claim that damage from the accident, and not previous damage.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote