REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

When to take Whey...

Im looking to bulk up a bit, but at the same time lose weight. I am not looking to take a lot of Whey, just a little every day I work out to try and bulk up a bit as I am gaining some muscle.
So when and how often should I take it?
Advertisement
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
after you go to the gym, it works great as a snack like in between meals if you have no time to grab some real food, i also slam one when i wake up then have shower then breakfast..........

but how are u looking to bulk up and loose weight, you cant do both ????????????
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You should be taking 1.5 grams per pound of body weight in protein. This should be in form of foods and your supplements. The more through clean food the better though.

Best time to take it is before and after workouts. Great in-between meals as well. I wouldn't suggest bulking and loosing weight @ the same time. Put one and stick with it. Usually people bulk up over fall & winter and cut during spring and summer. During bulk up, you can still do light cardio to stay healthy.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
after you go to the gym, it works great as a snack like in between meals if you have no time to grab some real food, i also slam one when i wake up then have shower then breakfast..........

but how are u looking to bulk up and loose weight, you cant do both ????????????
I am looking to lose fat mostly, that in the sense weight. And then gain more muscle. I would like to lose more weight then I am gaining in muscle however, for a few pounds any ways (say, lose 10 lbs fat, gain 5 lbs muscle) I want to slim up, and tone up. Im obviously not looking to do this in a month either, but over a period of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
You should be taking 1.5 grams per pound of body weight in protein. This should be in form of foods and your supplements. The more through clean food the better though.

Best time to take it is before and after workouts. Great in-between meals as well. I wouldn't suggest bulking and loosing weight @ the same time. Put one and stick with it. Usually people bulk up over fall & winter and cut during spring and summer. During bulk up, you can still do light cardio to stay healthy.

I know that weigh is quite high in calories, but low in fat. I hear some people gain weight, not just because of muscle, but fat, because they take to much Whey. I would ideally like to use it only 1 time a day during workout days. So would post-workout Whey shake work, and be effective?

Last edited by mc25; 02-26-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You can still have a high protein diet without a lot of fat. But if you're trying to bulk you're going to need the extra calories =/. Post-workout is definitely the best time to have a shake.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Unauthourized Spammer

definitely after your workout. in between meals are a good time too. you should get most of your protein from foods and just let the protein powder supplement your daily protein intake.
on training days i take one when i wake up, one after i workout and then casein before i go to bed.

like others have said i think you should go with either a bulking or a cutting stage and stick with it. depends what shape you're in right now too to see what'll be more beneficial in your case
rickross888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
Usually have one first thing when I wake up. Then go shower and eat breakfast, usually 10 egg whites. Then I have a another shake and protein bar as a first snack at work. Eat some kind of healthy lunch. Another snack usually a protein bar or veggies. Dinner. Then I workout and have another shake and then have a cup of cottage cheese right before bed.

I weigh 160 lbs and I get about 100-120 grams of protein from shakes and bars in one day. Add on top of that about 35 g from the eggs, 20-30 at lunch, 30-40 at dinner and about 15 with the cottage cheese and I average about 200-225 grams a day which is more than I need.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #8

Thanks guys. Ill take 1 after workout, and concentrate on healthy food intake with good amounts of protein for my meals..I am also working on doing the 5-6 meals in a day, instead of 3. Since I usually go to the gym after lunch or after dinner, the post shake would provide a good secondary meal after the standard lunch or dinner.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Drk
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc25 View Post
Im looking to bulk up a bit, but at the same time lose weight.
Isn't that a little oxymoronic, not to mention pretty much impossible. You will need to focus on what you want to do first, and then you can start to figure out how much protein you will want to consume.

Edit: Didnt see that someone already said what I just said, but yea about 1 - 1.5 grams/pound of body weight. Dont forget about your carbs after your workout, protein is nothing by itself, you need carbs as well prior to your workout.
Drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk View Post
Isn't that a little oxymoronic, not to mention pretty much impossible. You will need to focus on what you want to do first, and then you can start to figure out how much protein you will want to consume.

Edit: Didnt see that someone already said what I just said, but yea about 1 - 1.5 grams/pound of body weight. Dont forget about your carbs after your workout, protein is nothing by itself, you need carbs as well prior to your workout.
As I said earlier, not so much lose weight, but lose fat and tone up.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Oh boy. Not another one of those.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
Retired Mod

You are better off taking your pick. Losing fat/toning up usually= tone guy with a gut. The balance of both is never truly there. Strip the fat off first then worry about how your muscles look. I take my iso when I wake up, snack later in the day, before my workout, after my workout.
abinga is offline   Reply With Quote