REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Paint Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/566548-paint-question.html)

Revox 03-02-2009 01:09 AM

Paint Question

I recently got a 95 Civic hatch that was spray painted flat black before I got it (originally red and just the outside was sprayed) and it was peeling a bit on the back bumper so I peeled a good of it chunk off the car and there was nice shiny red paint underneath. I want to get my car back to red, so my question is what would be the easiest way to get the rest of the black off?

TIA

NashMan 03-02-2009 01:16 AM

ummmm you better off re painting the car but i am not a paint guy

Renthal 03-02-2009 07:51 AM

maybe rub a lil paint thinner on a cloth and try that? do it somewhere out of sight first... it might take off the red paint too!

Revox 03-02-2009 08:03 AM

I was also suggested to use plastic razor blades to try to peel where it already started peeling. Keep the advice coming...

dustinb 03-02-2009 08:09 AM

You could try a high powered pressure washer. If it can get underneath where it started peeling, it should rip it right off.

Amaru 03-02-2009 09:34 AM

If the red paint is in good shape, why would someone put a layer of flat black over top?

The red is probably crap in other places, don't you think?

stevo911_ 03-02-2009 09:53 AM

i'm with amaru on this one, though you never know.
if its just spray painted on there a good solvent should take it off

NashMan 03-02-2009 11:22 AM

oh yae you all so said bumper the reson why is coming off is they most likly did nto use a good flex addtive or none at all

Revox 03-02-2009 01:47 PM

Yes I do realize some parts of the paint could be bad, I can see some bondo work but my plan was to paint it red again in the future to match the door jams and the rest of the inside. So if I can get the black off it would save me money just touching up the odd bad parts.

Revox 03-02-2009 01:58 PM

Yes I do realize some parts of the paint could be bad, I can see some bondo work but my plan was to paint it red again in the future to match the door jams and the rest of the inside. So if I can get the black off it would save me money just touching up the odd bad parts.

stevo911_ 03-02-2009 02:40 PM

take a look at this thread, note slammedcivicsi's post, 3rd one down (he does automotive paint for a living so he knows a thing or two)
http://www.revscene.net/forums/why-d...highlight=hood

Revox 03-02-2009 09:00 PM

I will try it out tomorrow.

Fleemer 03-11-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6308244)
If the red paint is in good shape, why would someone put a layer of flat black over top?

The red is probably crap in other places, don't you think?

you can never know with your average civic owner... he could have wanted the flat black look for the coolness factor :rolleyes:

Revox 03-11-2009 09:37 AM

That is why I want to take the poor flat black off. I would much rather have a possibly half decent actual paint rather than just a spray painted paint job.

Another question for you guys, if I sand the black off (because it is really thin) and scratch the surface of the red, would a cut polish work out those surface scratches?

projectcivic 03-11-2009 10:48 AM

You would think a wet sanding or a cut polish should be able to help if you scratch the red paint underneath but I guess it depends on how deep you scratch it

Revox 03-11-2009 03:24 PM

Its a pretty thin layer. I think a very fine grit wouldn't hurt the red too badly.

slammedcivicsi 03-14-2009 12:07 AM

personally I would just sand and repaint it all. However, if that is not in your budget, you can try and wash it off with some thinners, lacquer based paints should wash off relitivaly easy. Sometimes if they have been on there for a long time, you wont have much luck. Your other option would be to sand it all off, with something like p800, then drop down to a finer p1000, p1500 etc.....then a good buff with a nice compound will bring the shine of the red back up to par, my compound of choice is Farecla.

-Brad

Revox 03-14-2009 12:58 AM

Tried using acetone but it didn't do much at all. I will most likely try sanding the black down with a fine grit paper and see how it goes from there.

slammedcivicsi 03-14-2009 10:38 AM

acetone is not thinner. Its a heavier solvent, try proper Gun wash, or virgin thinners. They are relitively cheap. Wipe it on a rag, or a white scotchbrite pad.....whites are non abrasive, and shouldnt scratch the paint that bad. You should be able to get it all at lordco or JB for under $15.

Revox 03-14-2009 06:32 PM

Alright, I'll give it a try when the weather gets better.