REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
VCMC Autocross on March 1st - A Walkthrough

This is a walkthrough of my experience on Sunday March 1st at VCMC's first autocross (on trial basis) for 2009. Notable restrictions placed on this "trial run" include 92dB sound limit, and cap of 40 on # of participants. Usually the sound limit is much higher, and there are more than 100 drivers per event.

While I've been autocrossing for 2 years now (always for fun, never competitively) with an MR2, then an STS Mazda3, this was my first time with the s2k. It's blatantly obvious watching my first few runs hahaha.

8am - Tech Inspection

8:15am - Registration (must pre-register on Karelo)

Pick up a course map and walk it through a few times, memorizing the course and figuring out the correct lines.

9am - Drivers' Meeting

9:30am - Racing begins!

1st Run

Time: DNF (Did Not Finish - this means you took the wrong way through the course, stupid!)

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 55.948
C6 Corvette: 58.991
Mini Cooper S: 59.505
Mazda RX8: 69.625

2nd Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX1rbfy_XnM

Time: 61.882

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: DNF
C6 Corvette: 55.580
Mini Cooper S: 57.935
Mazda RX8: 59.772

Wet track, stayed in 1st gear the whole way through, massive massive wheelspin.

VCMC's dB meter read me at 97dB (VTEC + intake = very loud apparently. i had no idea.). The limit for this event was 92dB. Lots of other cars had aftermarket exhausts and seemed quite loud, but well at or below 92dB!!

At this point, it was either do something about it, or get kicked out. =(

3rd Run

Time: 60.533

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 53.441
C6 Corvette: 55.184
Mini Cooper S: 57.977
Mazda RX8: 62.625 + 2 (hit a cone)

Since my car was too loud in the first two runs using 1st gear, this time I shifted out of 1st and into 2nd at about 4000rpm, and also tried my best to stay off WOT. I also shifted to 3rd gear before I could hit VTEC. Surprisingly, not only did I not lose time, I did better this way!!

Work the Course
Watch other run group race, from the middle of the course. Pick up cones that get hit. Report hit cones and deviations from the course (call DNF on untalented MFk'ers).

Lunch Break

4th Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEjs3cWA-Tg

Time: 68.300 + 2 (after spinning out, you can see that I had no choice but to tap the cone trying to get back on course. backing up is an automatic DNF in autocross.)

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 53.084
C6 Corvette: 55.184
Mini Cooper S: 57.977
Mazda RX8: 58.990

5th Run

Time: DNF

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 52.516
C6 Corvette: 55.280
Mini Cooper S: 57.901
Mazda RX8: 58.182 + 4 (hit 2 cones)

On two separate occasions, oversteered and drifted past the cones I was supposed to get around.

6th Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRAAVg0CWW0

Time: 57.286

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 52.949 + 2 (hit a cone)
C6 Corvette: 58.224
Mini Cooper S: 56.992 +2 (hit a cone)
Mazda RX8: 56.967

This run, I calmed down a bit and made more of an attempt to stop driving so aggressively and do things right. It paid off! 3 seconds off my fastest time yet!

7th Run - Final Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WNGm1PYzM

Time: 55.281 (8th overall, of 45)

For Reference:
Porsche 911 C2: 54.559
C6 Corvette: n/a (missed his run)
Mini Cooper S: 56.652 + 2 (hit a cone)
Mazda RX8: 58.074 + 2 (hit a cone)

This run went incredibly well. There were many areas that I know I could've definitely attacked harder, with more speed and precision, but surprisingly I did good. Better than I expected!!

FTD (Fastest of The Day) went to Rodrigo Naranjo in his Porsche 911 C2 at 52.516, and 2nd went to Mitch Burton in his Subie STI at 52.702. There was a 1991 Civic driven by James Yip there that handed everyone's ass to them with a best time of 54.244. Just goes to show that driver skill often > platform.

Some Pics

Advertisement