REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Real Estate a good career?

I'm 17 years old, have 1 year of high school left till grad.

I've been interested in marketing/business or possibly computer design but I'm not really inspired by that so I'll probably pass on that.. just stick to business related stuff.

I've always been interested being a sales person, what does it take to be successful at real estate and is it hard work but for good money?

thanks, just looking for some answers and opinions.
Advertisement
bimmer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

not a good career, we just had the bubble burst, might have to wait for the next bush
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

well, in terms of sales and business, you arent just stick to being in real estate. There are tons of careers involving business to business selling as well. U would also be working on salary and still get paid commission!
and a company car isn't too bad either = )
Krazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Pharma sales is the place to be. Lots of travel, expense accounts, golf, ... yet you'll need a degree and a pair of ta-tas, since doctors prefer eye-candy to buy from.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Develop networking skills. Networking and marketing are 95% of being a realtor. Of course this is only my opinion from my short stint to the RE world in general.
Westcoast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
real estate is always a good profession....however you must be self motivated and willing to work whenever......your personal and business life will become one......if you have the skills, work ethic and never say die attitude, you will do well......
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
It is a great career. Until you can build yourself a loyal client base, expect to work whenever and wherever your clients need you. You will work long hard hours for no guarentee of money. If you are used to living pay cheque to pay cheque this is not a good career choice. There are years (like now) where you won't make any money at all(You may even have to pay, keeping up your licence, paying for listings even though they don't sell etc) and you have to last on what you have put away/credit.

If you feel you can work through this, it can be a great career. I have family that have been down this very road and done very well for themselves after 20 years and are now reaping from the benifits. But the first 10-15 years were very tough.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Pharma sales is the place to be. Lots of travel, expense accounts, golf, ... yet you'll need a degree and a pair of ta-tas, since doctors prefer eye-candy to buy from.
soo true. a friend of mine went from a waitress to bartender during school. then afterwards, she started prepping for realestate. friend of her moms said she should try pharm sales over dinner conversation. got her an interview, and now she's at 150k. she's smoking hot and has no tastebuds so she'll down anything ()
Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^So the real silver lining here is to work as hard as you can to be a doctor lol
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Unauthourized Spammer

If you have the right job in Pharma you can make more than doctors but as mentioned, you have a better chance as a woman.

Interesting to note is that more women graduate as doctors than men so perhaps I should grease myself up and start putting my minor in biochem to good use.

Anyway.

Real estate has the potential to make a lot but as mentioned it's a tough go for a number of years. It has more to do with personality over brains.

The same could be said for my industry, mortgage broker industry, insurance sales, financial sales etc. You have a wide range of incomes. The company I work for is sales based. We have some guys making millions a year and others making $50,000.

I used to know a guy in Insurance sales who would clear $700k a month in his late 20's. He has since gone on to other things but if you're a machine you can make a lot of money doing anything.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
^So the real silver lining here is to work as hard as you can to be a doctor lol
or just work at more restaurants n bars
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i wonder how good being realtor on the side is
on top of a full time job w/ disposal income...sunday once a week kinda thing
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
Ubereem Mod

keep in mind

90% of all sales are done by the 10% of Realtors. Get there, and you're literally sitting pretty.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
keep in mind

90% of all sales are done by the 10% of Realtors. Get there, and you're literally sitting pretty.
you know those listings... some ppl have like 5 or less while some of them have 30+ or more.. how do they get them?

I thought once you work for the company, ie. Sutton, they assign the listings to you?
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You have to get your own listings, there are no handouts here - it's all about working the people you know and to get your name out there.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

so.. what's the point of working for a company like sutton?
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I would think customers would rather deal with a reputable company vs. a private agent working out of his home.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
so.. what's the point of working for a company like sutton?
Public perception.

For example. If a real estate agent picks you up in a brand new black S class Mercedes, what do you think in your head?

You will think, wow, this guy is doing pretty good and must be smart. The irony is that he might be an idiot and know nothing but due to perception, clients are convinced he is smart and knows his stuff.

Back when I worked for a private firm, my manager took me to a dealership and told me to buy or lease a car. At the time, it was was way beyond what I could afford and I ended up with an E55 AMG. This served two purposes.

One, because I now had to make my car payment, it would force me to work harder and perform since my job was based on commission and salary. Two, because clients would essentially shut up and listen to me and would follow me.

I would go to some meetings and talk to people and they'd watch to see what car I got into in the parking lot. If I had a very nice car, they would invest. If I did not, they'd take their money elsewhere.

Getting a bit off topic but anyone who is in real estate needs to understand that image is everything and thirst means nothing. Fuck Sprite.

The smartest people in the world are not always the richest. Learn how to market yourself and deal with people and you're golden. Being with a big name firm tells client you're big name and you have company backing. They feel safer.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Public perception.

I would go to some meetings and talk to people and they'd watch to see what car I got into in the parking lot. If I had a very nice car, they would invest. If I did not, they'd take their money elsewhere.

image is everything
This is particularly true when you're dealing with clients that don't know a thing about what their buying, "investments".

"wow he's successful, drives a expensive car and in a power suit, so the property shown must be atleast something that caught his eye to sell it. Or those investment must of made him wealthy as we..
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer91 View Post

...I've always been interested being a sales person, what does it take to be successful at real estate and is it hard work but for good money?...
it's ALWAYS hard to make good money. ALWAYS
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

80 percent of sales are done by 20% of sales people, if you can persevere and crack top 10% you will never have to worry about money again

best of luck, work hard even when you are at rock bottom
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

try to shadow a few real estate agents and you'll see... its really a tough job... but IF you could make it to the top then you're good but you'll still be working hard then
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
it's not as easy as you think.
if you're young, how do you think you will get listings from your friends. you won't be asking your friends to list houses or buy houses cause you're in your 20s.

You have to find listings and that's extremely hard. Wait until 90% of people on Revscene say, "i found the listings on line, you didnt' do any work, I wnat you to cut commission. " happens a lot.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote