REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   toys or stuff popular in japan or was popular, but not in NA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/567092-toys-stuff-popular-japan-popular-but-not-na.html)

sam_malone 03-06-2009 11:02 AM

toys or stuff popular in japan or was popular, but not in NA

i had a monchichi for a long since i was liek 10 years old, i didn;t even now it was a japanese made toy or what it was called, until much latter in life when i was watching the around the world news-and i was like oh i have one of those .

are there any toys out there that only few americans/ canadian would now of , but japanese would now of. what are they. an example would be monchichi. everytime i show monchichi to ppl they all say what is that, this includes chinese ,cbc chinese korean and white canadian ppl, and anybody whos non japanese.

i mention monchichi to japanese ppl and they now about monchihci. what else are there toys out there that i won;t now about since i live in canada, but the japanese now of and is popular now or even long time ago.

what else is popular and in style in japan or was, but was never popular in north america. love to now about them

Gumby 03-06-2009 11:05 AM

know, not "now"...

With the internet nowadays, I think people in NA are able to keep up with what's happening in Japan (the ones that actually care to know)...

Synaptik 03-06-2009 11:23 AM

blow-up dolls?

SkinnyPupp 03-06-2009 08:54 PM

Monchichi was just one of the many Japanese cartoons that were rebroadcast in America by US studios under a new name. If you grew up in the late 70's and early 80's, you certainly watched a lot of Japanese cartoons and played with Japanese toys without knowing it. And it happened again in the 90's with live action shows such as Power Rangers, etc.

twitchyzero 03-06-2009 09:50 PM

godzilla figurines.

death_blossom 03-12-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6316590)
Monchichi was just one of the many Japanese cartoons that were rebroadcast in America by US studios under a new name. If you grew up in the late 70's and early 80's, you certainly watched a lot of Japanese cartoons and played with Japanese toys without knowing it. And it happened again in the 90's with live action shows such as Power Rangers, etc.

you failed to list out what the north american name of monchichi was. now you force me to use google.

death_blossom 03-12-2009 06:25 PM

back from google and wikipedia land! looks like Monchichi was called Monchichi in N.America. according to wiki, the dolls were somewhat popular here, but the cartoon was not.

hongy 03-12-2009 06:59 PM

tentacle rape? and dude those monchichi are creepy looking....

SchoolGlue 03-12-2009 09:49 PM

D= you had one of those creepy things?

did you turn out alright?

Raid3n 03-13-2009 01:59 AM

^ apparently not, based on his post haha

icemiko 03-13-2009 01:00 PM

I'm selling a Monchichi plush, anyone want to buy it? haha