REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Need Some Help..... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/567513-need-some-help.html)

igeemctwist 03-09-2009 07:38 PM

Need Some Help.....

Looking for someone to help me with replacing Valve stem seals, head gasket on my 4 cyl Mazda. I have some knowledge, just need a few more tools. I can offer 20-25$ an hour and provide the parts. Just need some guidence. Ill brings beers aswell...

I am avalible to drive the car over to a shop/garage on the weekends. I am assuming with the right tools it cant be much more then a 2-3 hr job.

Let me know!!

Thanks

ChrisStang 03-09-2009 08:54 PM

If it is a head gasket, it is going to take a lot longer than 2 hours. That job is a bee-otch.

igeemctwist 03-10-2009 06:04 AM

Head gasket doesnt need to be done, I just figure if the head is off anyways...

I narrowed it down to the valve seals because when its cold out when I first start it a little bit of blue smoke comes out, then after a few seconds its normal.

Also when the temperature outside is warm ( assuming seals expand) it doesnt do it.

Fleemer 03-10-2009 07:42 AM

all cars push a little blue when they first start. (older ones anyway)

Oil left in the cylinders from the day before or whatever.

I wouldn't be overly concerns. It woud be the valve seals if you were burning oil all the time, but if you already want to replace it, why not.

might as well do the headgasket while your at it.

if its dual overhead cam, i say forget the headgasket. you don't want to screw that timing up :P

Dentz 03-10-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleemer (Post 6321776)
if its dual overhead cam, i say forget the headgasket. you don't want to screw that timing up :P

:/

All the cam sprockets, and crank sprockets have alignment marks with the block/backing piece, so it'll be relatively easy. You may need 2 people to get the belt positioned correctly, but that's about it - a 4 banger should be easy.

PS - try doing a timing belt alignment on a Z32 - dual overhead cam, V6 - 5 timing marks to align.

mr_baboon 03-10-2009 10:58 AM

Timing is easy.

Try doing it with no marks, 4 tools, in the middle of mckenzie avenue at rush hour.

Now THAT was entertaining.

But yea the head gasket will take a bit longer since the head really should get milled to ensure a proper seal again..

Dentz 03-10-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baboon (Post 6321968)
Timing is easy.

Try doing it with no marks, 4 tools, in the middle of mckenzie avenue at rush hour.

Now THAT was entertaining.

Please explain why you thought Mckenzie Avenue was an adequate repair facility.

cleanEK 03-10-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentz (Post 6322361)
Please explain why you thought Mckenzie Avenue was an adequate repair facility.

probably becuase his timing belt decided to snap while driving in rush hour on McKenzie

mr_baboon 03-10-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanEK (Post 6322392)
probably becuase his timing belt decided to snap while driving in rush hour on McKenzie

Not so much snap, more just kinda fall off. :(

The next week was the mid-mckenzie alternator replacement session. Zap strapping your alt back on sucks when everything is hot.

Dentz 03-11-2009 02:52 PM

Jesus, was that on the supra, or your current pos?