REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Cook up a pot of Rabbit Restoration Stew (https://www.revscene.net/forums/567900-cook-up-pot-rabbit-restoration-stew.html)

Great68 03-12-2009 04:10 PM

Cook up a pot of Rabbit Restoration Stew

This article seems to have created quite a stir among people:

Taken from Uvic ESSENCE periodical:

Link: http://web.uvic.ca/~essa/?page_id=161&cpage=2#comments

Cook up a pot of Rabbit Restoration Stew

ABE LLOYD

Did you know that rabbits on campus are cute and tasty?
This recipe is called Rabbit Restora-tion Stew because these bunnies are destroying the native landscape on campus. By eating the bunnies, not only are you helping restoration ef-forts on campus but you are also decreasing your dependence on industrial meats, which demand energy-intensive production. Note: Please be discreet in your rabbit-hunting as some people don’t enjoy the sight of a dead rabbit.

INGREDIENTS

1 UVic Rabbit
Nodding onion Allium cernuum)
Queen Ann’s lace (Daucus carota)stalk or root
Burdock (Arctium minus) talk or root
Salsify (Tragopogon dubius) stalk or root
Fennel
Bare-stem desert-parsley (Lomatium nudicaule)
Salt
Pepper

DIRECTIONS

Killing: Kill a nice, fat, UVic rabbit. The recommended
method is to bait it in, pin it to the ground, grab it by its hind legs, and whack the back of its head hard against the ground, killing it instantly.

CLEANING

Hang the rabbit from a rope by its hind legs. This will keep fur from getting on the meat. Cut the tail off. Cut around the hind ankles, up the inseam of the legs, and across the crotch.Pull the skin down (towards the head); it will come off inside out. When you get to the head and front wrists, it won’t pull off any further, so cut the wrists and head off. Rub off (don’t wash) any fur that stayed on the meat. Now you are ready for the anatomy lesson: Cut the belly of the rabbit from the area near the groin to the rib cage. Be sure to not puncture the bladder or intestine. Remove the stomach, intestines, kidneys, etc. and discard as soon as possible. Cut the chest cavity open, remove the heart and lungs, and wash thoroughly.

COOKING:

Boil your rabbit in salted water for a couple of hours until the meat is loose.Remove from the water and allow to cool. Pull the meat from the bones, then return the meat to your cooking pot.Add veggies. For the (urban) forager, I rec-ommend nodding onion or wild garlic bulbs, Queen Ann’s lace stalk or root, burdock stalk or root, salsify stalk or root, fennel, and bare-stem desert-parsley. Note: In the fall and winter, use the roots. In the late spring and early summer, peel and use the stalks before they mature and produce flowers.

Modification: For those more comfortable in grocery stores, I recommend onion, carrot, parsnip, leak, yam, and parsley.

Black SC2 03-12-2009 08:34 PM

Sounds tasty, and it's good for the environment. I'm all for it.

That method of killing/ dressing also works for the hippies who protect the rabbits.

Fleemer 03-12-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black SC2 (Post 6326377)
Sounds tasty, and it's good for the environment. I'm all for it.

That method of killing/ dressing also works for the hippies who protect the rabbits.

god... i knew there was something we could do about them! :haha:

Black SC2 03-12-2009 08:59 PM

I should add that cooking and eating hippies is ill advised. You can boil their meat all you want, but you'll never get all the patchouli taste out of it.

Great68 03-13-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black SC2 (Post 6326427)
I should add that cooking and eating hippies is ill advised. You can boil their meat all you want, but you'll never get all the patchouli taste out of it.

Hahahahaha!

Damn hippies.

ostampflee 03-13-2009 07:03 AM

Brilliant!

m1ataman 03-13-2009 08:05 AM

I've had rabbit and it IS tasty. I'm all for it and how about Vic General too. They could reduce cost of patient meals there too!