REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Lamin-X for front Headlights (https://www.revscene.net/forums/568348-lamin-x-front-headlights.html)

parm104 03-16-2009 01:14 AM

Lamin-X for front Headlights

I am purchasing a Lamin-X kit for my front headlights. I am getting a LIGHT smoke tint for my car because it is silver and am not really worried about that.

However, I also wanted to get something for my brother's car. He has a white car and I was planning of getting him yellow or white lamin-x for his front headlights. Are there any legal problems with tinting your headlights? The LIGHT output will remain the same, it's simply for aesthetic purposes.

Here is an example of a white car with yellow lamin-x

Soundy 03-16-2009 01:16 AM

White is the only legal color for headlights in BC. Anything that reduces the light output AT ALL is illegal. Even a light smoke will reduce light output, even if it's not noticeable to you.

parm104 03-16-2009 02:43 AM

sounds good, thanks

Soundy 03-16-2009 08:21 AM

And in answer to your original reply:

Quote:

Well that doesn't make any sense because if one was to purchase a set of 5000K HID bulbs, those will reduce the light output, yet at the same time, they ARE LEGAL.
Actually, they aren't. HID retrofits of any kind are illegal in BC.

Quote:

I have yet to find any rules or regulations that actually state that this would be illegal.
At the top of the thread is a sticky, "The Answer To Almost All Questions About Lights". It contains some brief overviews, as well as links to various laws and resources, including this paragraph:

Quote:

The General Maintenance Rules require that the lights be securely mounted, not broken, kept clean and properly sealed against water and not be covered or shielded or obstructed by ANYTHING.

If you put anything in, on or over a lamp or reflector that reduces its effectiveness IN ANY WAY, it is illegal.
The link goes to the actual regulation, which states:
Quote:

4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.
And right underneath that, you have:
Quote:

Headlamps

4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.
So there you go... you could have answered your questions just by reading the sticky.

sho_bc 03-16-2009 10:36 AM

Do you want to hang out in my car to be an objective 3rd party telling this to drivers when they start arguing about how they've had it for years, so it must be legal?

parm104 03-16-2009 11:55 AM

Well that means having eyelids for your headlights are also illegal.

sho_bc 03-16-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 6332193)
Well that means having eyelids for your headlights are also illegal.

Correct. :thumbsup:

Soundy 03-16-2009 07:28 PM

I think he's catching on! :D

yvrnycracer 03-19-2009 05:34 PM

eyelids are ugly...

parm104 03-20-2009 11:48 PM

Yea I know, my point was just that we see them so often, yet they're illegal.

Soundy 03-21-2009 08:41 AM

You see lots of illegal things all the time - front tint, underglows, HID retrofits, white taillights, driving lights used as foglights...

And guys will argue every one of them with the excuse, "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!"

parm104 03-21-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6340633)
You see lots of illegal things all the time - front tint, underglows, HID retrofits, white taillights, driving lights used as foglights...

And guys will argue every one of them with the excuse, "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!"

No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that. They assume that. That's why smart people will come into the POLICE forum and ask the question before doing something.

Soundy 03-22-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 6341371)
No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that. They assume that.

They assume that... and then when they get busted, they'll use that argument in their defense.

Quote:

That's why smart people will come into the POLICE forum and ask the question before doing something.
You must be new around here :D

Smart people will come in here and ask and then learn something from the advice.

Unfortunately, most are not so smart and will come in here and ask, and when they get an answer they don't like, will also trot out the "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!" argument.

Don't believe me? Every other regular in this forum will tell you the same thing. The mods will tell you the same thing. Guys come in here regularly looking for justification for their ricey mods and then when they're given facts that don't support them, will argue and debate and fight against those facts til they're blue in the face (or fingers, as the case may be). And "my buddy did it to his car and never got stopped for it" is by far their most common excuse.

parm104 03-22-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6341777)
They assume that... and then when they get busted, they'll use that argument in their defense.

You must be new around here :D

Smart people will come in here and ask and then learn something from the advice.

Unfortunately, most are not so smart and will come in here and ask, and when they get an answer they don't like, will also trot out the "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!" argument.

Don't believe me? Every other regular in this forum will tell you the same thing. The mods will tell you the same thing. Guys come in here regularly looking for justification for their ricey mods and then when they're given facts that don't support them, will argue and debate and fight against those facts til they're blue in the face (or fingers, as the case may be). And "my buddy did it to his car and never got stopped for it" is by far their most common excuse.

I must be new? I've been here since 2004. Perhaps new to the Police section of this forum, but who gives a shit. I'm not everyone and I never once said "everyone else does it so it must be illegal." I simply implied that one would assume that isn't illegal because you see it being done so commonly.

Whether or not OTHER people come in here and use the excuse "of my friend had it so it must be legal" is irrelevant and off-topic because the OP never said anything of that nature.

jlenko 03-22-2009 08:15 AM

People don't come in here and ask before doing something... they come in here to ask how to fight the ticket after the fact.

And we usually give them no sympathy :)

Soundy 03-22-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 6341784)
I must be new? I've been here since 2004. Perhaps new to the Police section of this forum, but who gives a shit.

Well that was kind of the point...

Quote:

I'm not everyone
Everyone is grateful for that.

Quote:

and I never once said "everyone else does it so it must be illegal."
I never said you did.

Quote:

I simply implied that one would assume that isn't illegal because you see it being done so commonly.
And I agreed, that happens all the time. And I added that they then use that assumption to argue the law when they either get told otherwise, or when they get busted for it. None of that invalidates your statement - stop being so defensive.

Quote:

Whether or not OTHER people come in here and use the excuse "of my friend had it so it must be legal" is irrelevant and off-topic because the OP never said anything of that nature.
Umm, aren't you the OP? Or are you having an identity crisis?

sho_bc 03-22-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 6341371)
No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that.

Sorry, but you're wrong in this case. You have no clue the number of people I pull over who argue and say, "But I've had it like that for # years and never had a problem before" or, "How come I see so many other cars with ______ then?" I'd say for equipment violation tickets, a good 75% of people say that. The other 25% have already been given tickets for it and know its wrong and just pay off the tickets.

TheSalesman 03-22-2009 12:50 PM

so are mugen headlights covers illegal too?
hmmmmm i didn't know mugen made anything that was illegal.

parm104 03-22-2009 05:45 PM

The point being is that I DONT Have a ticket for this because my headlights are clear.

I was thinking of doing it so I posted here to get the appropriate ADVICE. NOT to be scrutinized by anybody. I've been here long enough on revscene to be able to ask something politely and to receive an answer without scrutiny and assumptions. I NEVER once argued that it should be illegal. I SIMPLY said that since I see it so often, THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT IT WAS. Posted in here, found out, problem solved.

Any other discussion about people making excuses it totally irrelevant and I don't see why it's being brought up?

umpadupa 03-23-2009 12:04 AM

^ just admit it.. soundy got u a lil LOL

ANYWAYS good 2 noe i cant smoke my head lights.. does that include tail lights too?

sho_bc 03-23-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpadupa (Post 6343093)
does that include tail lights too?

If you read the thread, you'd have your answer.

umpadupa 03-23-2009 06:03 PM

damn..