REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
I know more than a tricorder

Private Insurance vs. ICBC?

I'll be insuring my bike in a few days, and I have heard on the grapevine that one can save tons of money by using ICBC for the basicest basic part, and then go private for the collision theft and all that.
Does anyone have any pointers on which company to go with? Or what office to get it at?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
dustinb

I get my private insurance through BCAA. I wouldn't say you save a ton, but typically the deductibles are a lot less.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I use Essex insurance, and save a bunch over the optional stuff from ICBC. I used to go to Coast Crapital, but for personal reasons, I will not deal with those douche nozzles anymore.

There may be some better deals for bikes though, I know some companies are more bike friendly. Maybe check islandriders.ca for some insight.
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Cars and bikes are different. Check on the usual bike forums and see what people use.
When I rode, I only used ICBC. For car, I went with ICBC as well because teh difference between ICBC and private was minimal while I autoplan 12 and their interest rates were way lower than some of the private guys.

Also, keep in mind private insurance companies can refuse you insurance if you are deemed a "high risk". I know ICBC can too, but I had it happen with Family and not yet (knock on wood) with ICBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
I use Essex insurance, and save a bunch over the optional stuff from ICBC. I used to go to Coast Crapital, but for personal reasons, I will not deal with those douche nozzles anymore.

There may be some better deals for bikes though, I know some companies are more bike friendly. Maybe check islandriders.ca for some insight.
also had horrible insurance experience with coast capital... their "agents" dont know anything.
| |-----------|-------------|----V6----| |
92SIvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Weird, I've had great success with Coast Capital although I'm stilling paying ICBC (I'll be a roadstar this year, knock on wood) and private has never been cheaper for me. From my understanding, private gets a lot cheaper once you hit 25 (this week, noooooooooooooooo!)

But I'm dealing with the Sooke branch, not the Langford/other branches...
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I always just have them compare the price of private and all-ICBC.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SIvic View Post
also had horrible insurance experience with coast capital... their "agents" dont know anything.
Same. I will never deal with them again for insurance.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I have used Coast Capital for years and have no complaints at all. I've flipped back and forth from ICBC to private several times, it seems they change the rates randomly every couple of years.

Victoria Motor Sports Club - President
oldskoolz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

all these private companies base their rates off ICBC(or the biggest Inc in town) and they always check your driving record and experience levels regardless.

If you are a good driver you might be able to save more on the optional coverages like Collision and Comprehensive. Mind you that clueless "agents" are one of those things you gonna take in account with private insurers. I've only heard bad things from them when ppl try to claim from private, mind you so the ones that are still accident free have yet to contribute with some credibility IMO.

Just keep in mind how much ur saving Vs. quality of service. Keeping your self safe on the road is a lot to do with driver awareness too.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Island Mod

I use Beacon Insurance for the my bike and I saved closed to $700 for the year. I think the ICBC qoute for 1 year was $1684, Beacon was $994 for 1 year.
You still have to buy your basic stuff from ICBC but all the extra stuff might be worth pricing out elsewhere. Mind you Beacon requires you to hold a drivers lisence for atleast 10 years ,etc.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I saved a ton of money on car insurance by switching to Gieco
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SIvic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
Same. I will never deal with them again for insurance.
add another to the "Never deal with Coast Capital for insurance" group. those fucking idiots cost me over $4000 by giving me wrong information on my home policy and also screwed up huge when I insured my bikes with them. they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and I will never deal with them for insurance of any type again.

- 78 Formula Sunbird - 350cu.in./4 speed - awaiting restoration
92turbogtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
I use Beacon Insurance for the my bike and I saved closed to $700 for the year. I think the ICBC qoute for 1 year was $1684, Beacon was $994 for 1 year.
You still have to buy your basic stuff from ICBC but all the extra stuff might be worth pricing out elsewhere. Mind you Beacon requires you to hold a drivers lisence for atleast 10 years ,etc.
Beacon Insurance is pretty good I heard. They cover the equipment and stuff for your bike, while, ICBC doesn't cover any of the equipment. It's also cheaper with Beacon if you qualify.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I looked into private coverage when I insured my Cobra, and it was significantly more than ICBC. Again when I bought my wife her new Caddy I priced it out and it was close this time but there was no real savings with private. When I bought my Lightning a few weeks ago, I checked again but (much like the Cobra) it was more expensive.

Maybe for bikes and/or if you roll a Civic, RAV4, Hyundia, or Camry or something like that there are good savings to be had. For me it hasn't really worked out.

Last edited by ChrisStang; 03-18-2009 at 07:57 AM.
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Island Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStang View Post
I looked into private coverage when I insured my Cobra, and it was significantly more than ICBC. Again when I bought my wife her new Caddy I priced it out and it was close this time but there was no real savings with private. When I bought my Lightning a few weeks ago, I checked again but (much like the Cobra) it was more expensive.

Maybe for bikes and/or if you roll a Civic, RAV4, Hyundia, or Camry or something like that there are good savings to be had. For me it hasn't really worked out.
I don't know how its works cause it was cheaper to go through ICBC for everything on my Civic but a lot cheaper for my bike to go through a private insurer
Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

sucks that you guys have bad experiences with Coast.
I Work for Coast/have had my accounts and insurance with them for years.

It *should* be the same quality of service no matter where you go! But I guess that's not always the case.
where is the vtec fluid stored.
"Sorry dood, i'm fresh outta bling"
Elevorett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Had some major Issues with Canadian Direct when i had some damage on my truck... Would not put it through an ICBC shop, had their own shop than undercut everyone else. I had to pay the labour difference to use an icbc accredited shop... FYI
WHEELS: GSR "Fat fives"

Evan
Civtegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevorett View Post
sucks that you guys have bad experiences with Coast.
I Work for Coast/have had my accounts and insurance with them for years.

It *should* be the same quality of service no matter where you go! But I guess that's not always the case.
To be honest, I never had any issues with the people I dealt with face to face. However, at the old Z'sport location, there was a CC storage unit across the way from us, and every time they came out to use it, the managers who looked after the storage unit found reasons to be incredibly rude to us and our customers, so I canceled my insurance through them.
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Check out Beacon Insurance they have an awesome motorcycle policy.

Thanks Zeus :p
superman 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

when we deal with private insurance claims at our shop it usually take longer to approve and more hassle and stuff... that means you get no courtesy car while that is being approve and also parts that require replacing they would ask you to try and repair (ie.. headlight brackets can be re-weld) but icbc just replaces it if its even scratch... and for myself i recommend staying with icbc even though private insurance is 10-20% cheaper on my car
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
To be honest, I never had any issues with the people I dealt with face to face. However, at the old Z'sport location, there was a CC storage unit across the way from us, and every time they came out to use it, the managers who looked after the storage unit found reasons to be incredibly rude to us and our customers, so I canceled my insurance through them.
Were staff or customers in the CCS parking spots? I have been out there to pick up supplies and had to ask people to move their cars. I can see people getting really annoyed if they had to do this every trip out there.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
Island Mod

I use Coast for my car and house insurance, and my banking. So far pretty good. My only complaint I have ever had was I called their help line once to set up some account stuff and the lady on the other end was really rude. She had zero patience for me asking questions that I didn't feel were that bad. I think one of her responses was "what do you want?" in a really pissed off voice and this was at the very beginning of the conversation. Either way i have used them for years so I will continue.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #24

^^ Should have complained. All calls the the contact center are recorded. Just need the person's name and approximate time the call was taken.

Anyways, I have used a few different insurance brokers. Never had a problem with any of the agents, but getting correct info from ICBC can be a pain. I think I am 0/2 with them.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
Banned (BBM)

In my opinion, all insurance companies are EVIL!
Havn't you watch fight club? :P

As far as going through private/icbc.

I would go with private to avoid the BS that ICBC put you through.

Private insurance general care about you, whereas ICBC themselves.

Don't trust any adjuster, regardless if they are private or not. They are out to save their company money.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote