REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Line of Credit

OK, I'm a big newb here about LOC but can someone explain to me again?

I know it's bank lending you money with a lower interest rate than cc, but how does interest applied and how do I pay off the loc? Do I just pay off whatever I've used from the loc - let's say I have a $10,000 LOC and I used $2,000. Is interested only applied to 2,000?

Again, I"m a fucking newb so go easy. lol
Advertisement
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

Interest will only be charged on the $2000 you take out. Interest is based on your rate divided by 12 (number of months per year).
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

How about minium payment? I think the lady said 3% of the whole amount or something, but I didn't understand too much because of her accent. I will be seeing her within the week for further paper work, but I wanted to do some research/find some information/ on here first so atleast I have my own thoughts on it.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
in general:
LOC = An arrangement in which a bank or vendor extends a specified amount of unsecured credit to a specified borrower for a specified time period. also called credit line.

how it works:

bank requires you to pay the interest amount every month, the borrowed amount.

10,000 limit @ 10% interest per year.
withdraw 10,000 you pay 1000 in interest per year or 83.333 per month

say you pay back 2000, now you owe 8000 - interest is 800 per year or 66.66...
the more principal you pay down, the less interest you pay the following month.

always make your principal payment on the first of every month if possible

hope that helps.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #5

in your opinion, would you think this would be better than using your cc to make large purchases?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Use your credit card to make the purchase then use ur line of credit to pay off ur cc bill. Easy as that.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
^ Use your credit card to make the purchase then use ur line of credit to pay off ur cc bill. Easy as that.
x2

Get a points card. I have flown 4 times in the past 3 years on points cause I make large purchases on the card, then pay off the card immediately.

Plus it can sit on your CC for 25-31 days without interest, while a LOC starts charging interest immediately.

Devils advocate: if you don't have the money to make a large purchase, you shoudn't be using a LOC or CC. Why are you spending $2K you don't have?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

No that's just an example, I don't have a LOC right now. lol
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Bank's can choose which repayment option they want you to pay. 3%, 2%, or interest only. Generally if you're high networth and the banker doesn't have any qualms about letting the balance "ride" they'll put you on interest only. If you're slightly marginal or want to make sure you eat at the principal the 2 or 3% option will be agreed upon. With all that being said it is revolving credit in which case you can pay as much down as you want with no penalty at any time. Your rate is dependent on credit rating but if you're halfway decent and you're paying more than prime + 3% you're getting hosed.
Westcoast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If it's a unsecured line of credit. Which means it's only backed by your credit, but not any real asset. Then At TD the LEAST you have to pay every month is 3%, they won't let you do interest only. Other banks might be different.
Miss Hin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hin View Post
If it's a unsecured line of credit. Which means it's only backed by your credit, but not any real asset. Then At TD the LEAST you have to pay every month is 3%, they won't let you do interest only. Other banks might be different.
Yea I have an unsecure and for some reason the bank screwed up and put me on a interest pay back only haha. No complaints for me. But yea definitely use your CC and just pay it off with your LOC. DOn't be dump though of course if you can't afford it and it's a big purchase just wait until you get more funds. Just because the interest is lower doesn't mean you shoudl go nuts into debt.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote