REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Official 2009 Formula 1 Season Thread

Just a little over a week away until the first practice run and 2days after for the first race in Melbourne, Australia

Is anyone excited for the start of F1 this season?

KERS + Slick
Advertisement

Last edited by HonestTea; 04-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Brawn GP FTW!!

Finally a car that Button can show what skills he has....

Disappointed that Senna did not get a contract and also that Torro Rosso did not pick up Sato either.....

Kers looks interesting but from what I've read, it's also very heavy. Apparently FIA will be announcing the car weights post-race now.

Mclaren's got their set-up all wrong, so look for Ferrari dominance at the early stages. Brawn GP shows promise, but I think they'll have reliability problems considering how much testing they've done compared to the other teams.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I am SO stoked for this season. The last 2 seasons were fucking lame, and pretty much represented exactly what's wrong with F1.

If you're not up to date with the rule changes, check out this awesome video detailing the new rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkVKPdyWs0
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

New rule changes to 2009 season.
ONLY victories will be good enough to win this year's Formula One world championship.

It's about time to have REAL races. Last year I was pissed that Hamilton won the championship based on points, but Massa won the most races.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-39478,00.html
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I'm glad the points system has changed. I was worried it'd continue to go towards Nascar style points.

F1 has always been about bringing the best to the table, win or go home. Thus why first was awarded 10 points and second only 6.

I am disappointed by the continuing technology bans and more and more rules governing the cars. It stifles development, as most of the best F1 technology has come from breaking the "rules", ie turbos, ground effects, 6 wheels, wings, traction control ... things that were so different from the cars of the time, that if something similar was invented now it'd be illegal.

That said, I'd prefer to see the cars go all-electric. That would put some fun back into development, and would push along the electric car in record time.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
SFICC-05*

OT: Can we move this back to VIC where it can get some exposure?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #7

I love the rule that they made all cars to be standard technology.
As least that will give the smaller budget teams to have a chance in the race.
If richer teams can buy whatever they want and put it in their car, they will win every single race. How boring to see Mercedes and Ferrari to finished top for positions every single race.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

Damn, can't wait to see what Brawn GP can do in races! Their practice runs has been pretty good!

If Brawn GP has a really good car, I hope Button can back up what he said haha and show Hamilton up

Fuckers!! Should've let this thread stay in Vancouver Automotive, so theirs more traffic
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
F1 is a sport.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #10

Here are the odds for 2009 F1 Championship:
I am surprised that J. Button is in favor that Raikkonen, Hamilton and Massa.
Wow... I guess the rule change does really have an impact on this coming season result.

Button J. (GBR/Brawn GP)
Raikkonen K. (FIN/Ferrari)
Alonso F. (ESP/Renault)
Barrichello R. (BRA/Brawn GP)
Hamilton L. (GBR/McLaren)
Massa F. (BRA/Ferrari)
Kubica R. (POL/BMW Sauber)
Vettel S. (GER/Red Bull)
Heidfeld N. (GER/BMW Sauber)
Kovalainen H. (FIN/McLaren)
Glock T. (GER/Toyota)
Rosberg N. (GER/Williams)
Trulli J. (ITA/Toyota)
Piquet N. Jr. (BRA/Renault)
Webber M. (AUS/Red Bull)
Nakajima K. (JPN/Williams)
Buemi S. (SUI/Toro Rosso)
Bourdais S. (FRA/Toro Rosso)
Sutil A. (GER/Force India)
Fisichella G. (ITA/Force India)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
hmm, i may get back into watching f1 this season
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #12

ROFL FUCK THAT

I'll pick Raikkonen/Alonso/Kubica/Massa > Button if I was placing bets ^^

I don't mind if Button wins thought but I'd prefer Raikkonen or Kubica or Vettel(long shot lol)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
But this "Most Wins for Championship title" thing reeks of the Michael Schumacher days... Those days were BORING. It wasn't exciting to watch becase you KNEW who was going to win.

These new changes better deliver, and make close racing between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places because if it turns into a one driver show every race I'm going to stop watching F1.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

New rule changes are pretty good although that rear new wing is fucking ugly.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #15

I am not sure Brawn Mercedes will be the next coming of Christ everyone is expecting them to be. No doubt they will be strong this year but other teams will be working just as hard as well.

Renault released today that they will be running KERS in Australia, the 1st team to confirm the use of the new system.

I personally do not like the new points system I think it really hurts teams that are quick but do not have the same consistent pace as McLaren/Ferrari. Last year Kubica was in the points race until very late in the season due to a string of very good finishes.

Williams and McLaren closed the final day of testing before the start of the 09 season today. McLaren taking the time to test new parts that arrived last night and possibly do some qualifying runs. Both cars ended with faster times than Brawn Mercedes and Renault today dipping into the 1:17's. The William managing to edge the McLaren out by six tenths of a second.

Unofficial Thursday times from Jerez:
1. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams FW31, 1:17.494
2. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren MP4-24, 1:17.946

Looks as if McLaren have found some sort of light at the end of the tunnel with their supposed aero problems while Williams plainly went fast!

Taking a look at some of the pictures from the Jerez test this wee I thought I would highlight 2 from McLaren.

This from I believe the 1st day of McLaren's test. They have a data collection rig attached to the end of the diffuser. Speculation has it McLaren is looking for a serious aero problem regarding rear downforce:

Taken today; a very different look to the rear. Both the rear wing mounting with a far more pronounced and moulded lower element and diffuser with updated a new middle form and outer vein shape:

6 days!!!

rich
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Button is quick, he just doesn't have luck..
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
i think kovalainen is going to be up there this year he's progressively gotten better every year

skinnypupp thanks for that video that KERS is going to be very interesting
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #18
The "You'd Know" Moderator

New rules:

Whoever wins the most race will be crowned WDC regardless of points scored...

Since everyone gets 8 engines for 17 races, it means that one only needs to tune the engine to last around 1 race (instead of 2-3) and get around 9 wins (or 9 wins if you want to be safe) and DNF the rest of the season to be crowned WDC.

BrawnGP looks like it's the real deal, KERS is really setting Ferrari back.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I'm excited to see more passing! The KERS will definitely makes things interesting! We'll see in less than a week!

I'm disappointed that Senna didn't get picked up...

§[]D€€Ð Ѐ[\/]Ö|\| 4 L I F E!

My CarDomain
My Honda Showoff
Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #20

Qualifying is going to be so exciting!!

I'm kinda glad MCLaren got their act together, better teams = better races even thought I'm not a fan of Hamilton or Kov haha

thanks mods for moving it back
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Button is quick, he just doesn't have luck..
neither did kimi but he ended up winning a championship
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
The FIA has announced it is ready to postpone its controversial decision to name the Formula One champion with a system based on the number of race victories instead of points won over the season.

The sport's governing body has declared its readiness to push back the implementation of the new system to 2010 if the teams contest.

In order to increase the value of a Grand Prix victory, the Formula One Teams Association recently presented a new points table where the difference between the winning driver and the runner-up would be three points instead of two. The WMSC rejected it in favour of the 'most wins' option.

Several drivers have publicly disapproved of the new system which was announced with immediate effect by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council last Tuesday, stating that a championship which rewards consistency with a points-based system is the essence of F1 competition.

On Friday FOTA questioned the validity of the change after it reviewed articles of the International Sporting Code and Sporting Regulations. Several hours later the FIA announced its readiness to revert to the traditional points-based system.

Surprisingly, the FIA claims that it accepted a slightly modified version of the scheme previously proposed by Bernie Ecclestone because it believed the teams agreed with it. Ecclestone's proposition of a 'gold medal-inspired' title attribution system has generated negative opinions from F1 insiders and fans for weeks.

FIA statement:
On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship. The 'winner takes all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010.
source: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...20191538.shtml

YAY!

rich
Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
But this "Most Wins for Championship title" thing reeks of the Michael Schumacher days... Those days were BORING. It wasn't exciting to watch becase you KNEW who was going to win.

These new changes better deliver, and make close racing between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places because if it turns into a one driver show every race I'm going to stop watching F1.
You must not be a Ferrari fan.

I would prefer F1 not turn into IRL, yet all these rules stifling technology in favour of making races more exciting to viewers more accustomed to NASCAR is really taking away from the sport.

F1 was about being the best racing series. Best technology, best drivers. Not anymore.

I enjoyed Ferrari lapping the field, it was awesome to watch what a great driver with the best of technology can do. The only downside was that Ferrari didn't hire another great driver to further push Schumacher.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDick View Post
I love the rule that they made all cars to be standard technology.
As least that will give the smaller budget teams to have a chance in the race.
If richer teams can buy whatever they want and put it in their car, they will win every single race. How boring to see Mercedes and Ferrari to finished top for positions every single race.
Honda/Toyota dumped tons of money and still couldn't finish well.

Its not all about the benjamins.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #25

Yeah dude, Honda and Toyota were dumping A LOT of money into F1 and they've gotten no where basically(maybe some top finishes)

Brawn GP looks promising from their practice runs though..
Closed Thread