REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Unauthourized Spammer

What to expect in the future

Unprecedented times but parallels.

Lets look at why this is before going any further.

Why is it different from any other market correction crash or meltdown?

Well, first, what drives price swings, price movements and volatility is volume. The more volume of anything you have, the greater the fluctuation.

Over the last decade, the world has become increasingly globalized. This means that there is money all over the world being invested all over the world. This is why the market went up so high before crashing. More people put more money into the market and this has been more international money that once wasn't being placed into the market. When global events strike, even though it's not close to home, that money is taken out because it belongs to those elsewhere. The meltdown in the market has underpinnings to get it started but the reason it grew to what it is today is that everyone everywhere took their chips off the table.

One way to think about it is that if you live in a small town and everyone in the town only buys homes and businesses in that city. Due to localization, the prices will not move too much one way or the other and if they do it will be slow and typically non violent.

Now imagine this little town you live in, all of a sudden people from other cities start buying business and homes. This increased influx of money creates prices that will increase at a greater pace than previously. This is also true on the way down. Vancouver did this with the Olympics. The general population had this common consensus that the Olympics would draw in a lot of wealthy and/or foreign buyers. This mindset was the catalyst for the price increases. People wanted to buy the land today for cheap before the rest of the world came in to purchase. This would mean they would sell to these people at a profit. The irony is that all this happened on speculation but crowd mentality does that.

So getting back to the market again. The whole world now functions more as a single unit rather than an independent unit because of this intermingled money movement. If all hell breaks out somewhere else in the world, it is ignorant to assume it's going to have minimal effect in another place. That's the definition of globalization.

I know that 'G' word is thrown around quite a bit lately but it is the exact reason why things are or rather seem different this time with the market correction or meltdown or whatever you want to call it. If you break your leg, yes you can still write, but it's ignorant to assume it's not going to impact your life. If you get liver cancer, it's still only one part but because it is a vital part of the body, everything now risks death.

We are moving into a new era, one where the world functions more like a single unit and that's the only thing that has changed. Of course there are good and bad to this and many spin offs but the general point is that nothing changes. Humans are still going to react and act the same way they always have and so the same mistakes will be made however the effects of those mistakes will now likely be amplified.

As a trader and investor, this means higher risk and higher rewards. For my job, it means more opportunity. For many others however, it means total destruction. Globalization now opens a door to the poor to try a hand at what many of us have taken for grated. Globalization will be the destruction of the middle class as we know it at the expense the wealthy increasing that gap.

So what's going to happen with the market? Well, it's going to go back up again, and things will carry on like always but price swings will become increasingly violent and there will be destruction to many people along the way. The USA will come back but it's not just going to be about the USA anymore. It's going to be about the whole economy of the whole world. Everyone is going to have to feel confident before things rally again, not just the Americans.

As for production, China has always made the vast majority of 'things' but the company ownership is abroad. The ruination of many middle class families is that there are people in China, India and Africa willing to do the same job for a fraction of the price. This lowers one standard of living and raises another functioning as an equilibrium.

The person who really benefits is the owner or corporation because they are increasing profits. Of course, the danger is that with the decreased middle class, who will the corporation sell to? The hope is that debt will allow people to continue to fuel the spending (we've already seen this increase in a very large way over the last decade) and the aftermath?

Well, nobody really cares. I'm guilty of it too. I wanted my car before I really had the money to buy it but the magic of debt made that possible. It turned out okay but the US is an example of what happens when this system is in place. It is short term gain for a permanent punishment. This cycle is a constant transfer of wealth from the middle class to the rich. It's been going on for millennium. We just seen it happen now and case in point is Obama giving money to corporations at the expense of the taxpayer.

The taxpayer loses money in the stock, the taxpayer needs to pay to bail them out. Where did the money go?

The media spends so much time trying to confuse everyone that they don't ask that question. Sorry for getting grossly off topic but the hope was maybe it will explain whats going on out there. I was also an Econ major and economics has some fundamentals but most of what is taught in school is garbage unless you look at the structure which is something never taught.

This isn't meant to be a depressing article but just how I see it. I'm involved with this stuff so much and to really see everything for what it is hurts.

I have lost my passion for the financial world.
Advertisement
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

AND here comes the crash of the USD.

The death of free market, powered by $$$$$
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The dollar dropped hard today and Geithner was saying how the Chinese was manipulating their currency Yuan.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

what what what?
USD is going back to par with CAD?

US SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
The dollar dropped hard today and Geithner was saying how the Chinese was manipulating their currency Yuan.
I am pretty sure the Chinese told the Fed to buy more than 1 trillion of bonds.

Hence the Chinese Gov't is the evil mastermind behind everything

It just happened.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
The person who really benefits is the owner or corporation because they are increasing profits. Of course, the danger is that with the decreased middle class, who will the corporation sell to? The hope is that debt will allow people to continue to fuel the spending (we've already seen this increase in a very large way over the last decade) and the aftermath?
This is the same question I asked myself several years ago when I was a 20 year-old kid in university. Cheap credit has allowed the middle-class to retain its lifestyle even though real wages have stagnated, or arguably decreased, over the past couple of decades. But, there are many (or maybe a vocal minority) who believe this is the right way... that the rich should get richer at the expense of the rest of society. In fact, some in the middle class have been sucked in into believing this without thinking about what is really going on.

On the other hand, I know I have it as good as I'll have it. I pity the people who follow us, though (provided the world isn't overrun by war, natural disasters, etc.)

An article along these lines appeared in the Globe and Mail on Saturday: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...alComment/home

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-21-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...mcY&refer=home

March 25 (Bloomberg) -- China’s call for the creation of a new international reserve currency may signal its concern at the dollar’s weakness and ambitions for a leadership role at next week’s Group of 20 summit, economists said.

Central bank Governor Zhou Xiaochuan this week urged the International Monetary Fund to create a “super-sovereign reserve currency.” The dollar weakened after the Federal Reserve said it would buy Treasuries and the U.S. government outlined plans to buy illiquid bank assets

“China is concerned about the potential for a slide in the dollar as the U.S. attempts to stimulate its economy,” said Mark Williams, a London-based economist at Capital Economics Ltd. The “rare” sight of a Chinese official attempting to reframe an international debate may be “a sign of China becoming more engaged,” he said.

While Zhou didn’t call for the yuan to become the new reserve currency, his remarks may signal ambitions for China to play a bigger global role. The central bank this week signed a currency swap with Indonesia, adding to agreements since December with South Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Belarus. It’s also preparing for trade settlement in the Chinese currency with Hong Kong, Macau and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Frustration in Beijing

“There is concern and even frustration among top policymakers in Beijing about China’s high exposure to U.S. dollar-denominated financial assets,” said Brian Jackson, senior strategist at Royal Bank of Canada in Hong Kong.

Yuan forwards rose the most in three months with traders betting on appreciation for the first time since September on speculation that the U.S. policies will weaken the dollar. The 12-month forward rate gained 0.9 percent.

U.S. policy makers testifying before lawmakers in Washington today affirmed their support for the dollar.

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, asked at a House Financial Services Committee hearing whether he rejected moving toward a global currency, replied, “I would, yes.”

“I would also,” said Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke. The question was asked by Representative Michele Bachmann, a Minnesota Republican.

Premier Wen Jiabao called on March 13 for the U.S. “to guarantee the safety of China’s assets.” China’s Treasury holdings climbed 46 percent in 2008 and now stand at about $740 billion, according to U.S. government data. The nation is the biggest holder of U.S. debt.

Raising Yuan’s Status

China is promoting use of the yuan to smooth currency volatility and to serve “a long-standing interest” to raise its status to that of a global reserve currency, said Ben Simpfendorfer, an economist at Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc in Hong Kong. Such moves are not “a knee-jerk response” to the economic crisis, he said.

“If turning the Chinese yuan into a global reserve currency sounds ambitious, then encouraging its adoption as a regional reserve currency is more straightforward,” said Simpfendorfer.

G-20 leaders will gather in London on April 2 to forge a common response to the financial crisis that has spawned a global recession. The summit will discuss proposals for reforms of the International Monetary Fund.

Flexing ‘Some Muscle’

The timing of Zhou’s proposal is “the latest example of China’s policy of neo-assertiveness in world affairs,” said Glenn Maguire, chief Asia economist at Societe Generale SA in Hong Kong. “China is starting to flex some muscle and generally steer the debate in China’s own direction.”

Zhou’s article highlighted the “dilemma” that countries issuing reserve currencies face in balancing their own monetary- policy goals with other nations’ demand for their money.

The global crisis raised the question of which reserve currency would secure “global financial stability and facilitate world economic growth,” Zhou said. He proposed expanding the use of the IMF’s Special Drawing Rights, which are currency units valued against a composite of currencies.

“The basket of currencies forming the basis for SDR valuation should be expanded to include currencies of all major economies, and gross domestic product may also be included as a weighting,” said Zhou.

Some economists back his case.

“The world economic landscape has been changed since the establishment of the SDR 40 years ago,” said Ha Jiming, chief economist at China International Capital Corp. in Hong Kong. “Specifically, no such reserve currency would make sense without the yuan being included.”

Academy Wants Protection

China’s leaders may press at the Group of 20 summit for specific steps to protect its more than $1 trillion of dollar assets as U.S. fiscal policies risk sparking a “currency war,” an official at a state academy said.

The dollar weakened after the Federal Reserve said March 18 it would buy as much as $300 billion of Treasuries and the U.S. this week outlined plans to buy as much as $1 trillion of illiquid bank assets.

U.S. purchases of Treasuries are “irresponsible” because they may weaken the dollar, Li Xiangyang, of the government- backed Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told a forum in Beijing yesterday. “Chinese leaders are likely to articulate their concern to their U.S. counterparts strongly and ask for specific measures.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Oh boy, things are starting to heat up before the G20 meeting eh
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

shit, is this gonna lead to a 1 world currency/governemnt?

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #10

^Watch for the Gundams to show up in the capital cities

It just happened.