REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Do Lower Mainlanders really have no loyalty towards the US/Canadian auto industry?

I was over on the Camaro forum and I came across this comment regarding the Genesis coupe;

Quote:
When I first heard about this car they were talking about the V8 being in it but then it was dropped. Don't know why.

I'm not considering this car. I really don't like the way it looks.
I just thought I'd post this because I can tell you out where I live on the coast in B.C. there are a lot of people who feel no loyalty to the US/Canadian auto industry and there are many of these people who are considering this car and not considering a Camaro at all. I've had friends visit from back east and they can't believe the number of imports around here. We don't have any factories around here and we have a lot of Asian immigrants. Add in the domestic's quality rep., even if not valid nowadays and you end up with this situation.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13528
I really don't understand the loyalty nonsense in general. Toyotas are built in Canada so aren't we supporting Canadian workers? I just find it funny how people are quick to judge someone who buys an import over a domestic. I doubt most people are thinking about the loyalty factor when they walk into a dealership, the only thing on most people’s mind is what car fits their budget and needs and what car manufacture can offer the best deals.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Banned (BBM)

or watever doesnt break down, certain brand image, quality, best bang for the buck, resale. styling, power, performance
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I have a couple uncles that have bought GM trucks all their lives, and will continue to buy GM trucks for as long as GM makes them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
yes

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
I really don't understand the loyalty nonsense in general. Toyotas are built in Canada so aren't we supporting Canadian workers? I just find it funny how people are quick to judge someone who buys an import over a domestic.
Considering 1/4 of Vancouver is Asian, there's going to be a bias.

Japan has strict import laws on foreign cars that makes selling NA cars there very difficult. This is unfair trade practice where Japan can sell cars here easily and we cannot sell there.

Some Toyotas may be made here, yet many we buy are not. Look at the dock yards for an estimate of how many are imported, its a LOT.
Quote:
I doubt most people are thinking about the loyalty factor when they walk into a dealership, the only thing on most people’s mind is what car fits their budget and needs and what car manufacture can offer the best deals.
GM and Ford have next to 0% financing, are offering tons of incentives (free maintenance, huge discounts), and are building great cars (Malibu was COTY). Yet people are still not buying. They'd rather pay more, higher rates, and get less from Toyota/Honda/Mazda.

For instance the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. They are the same car with different clothing, checkout the price differences and options and tell me which would you take. Then do a poll and see which most people would take.

Prediction: Financially the Pontiac wins, yet in the poll the Toyota will come ahead by far.

People just are not smart car shoppers.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My dad bought a Toyota Corolla in 1990 and he bought another one in 2003. Loyalist through and through.

I hear the domestic / import chatter all the time..often, the people who buy imports will argue - "I would buy a ford if they built one like an import (I guess in terms of gas milage, bang for buck, dependabilty etc).....for me - when I buy a car - chances are I'm going to buy an import.
WIth that being said, like the post above me - cars made these days - are pretty close to each other in terms of factors people look for. I think that import car companies have put more money in research and development and therefore have adapted to changes whereas domestics have not..just a thought
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Hyde's Understudy

^ factor in resell value of the vibe and that scares away buyers
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

Japan has strict import laws on foreign cars that makes selling NA cars there very difficult. This is unfair trade practice where Japan can sell cars here easily and we cannot sell there.

Some Toyotas may be made here, yet many we buy are not. Look at the dock yards for an estimate of how many are imported, its a LOT.

GM and Ford have next to 0% financing, are offering tons of incentives (free maintenance, huge discounts), and are building great cars (Malibu was COTY). Yet people are still not buying. They'd rather pay more, higher rates, and get less from Toyota/Honda/Mazda.

For instance the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. They are the same car with different clothing, checkout the price differences and options and tell me which would you take. Then do a poll and see which most people would take.

Prediction: Financially the Pontiac wins, yet in the poll the Toyota will come ahead by far.

I think the car buy you is associated with image. People feel safe about their image in a Toyota. Cars are just like clothes, if TnA or lululemon made jeans for men, and they're the exact same as Diesel pair of jeans but with a cheaper price tag, guys will still pay premium for the Diesel name.

Likewise, (example only) I prefer to be seen driving in a Toyota because I heard Toyota has a good name. I don't want to seem like a fool for stepping away from the crowd and buying a Pontiac.

btw, Obama's team prefers imports: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...902230327/1148
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
degenerate extraordinaire

for a construction/rugged vehicle, my father would never consider anything import, however, for a family car he would never consider anything domestic.

I guess it really is about catering to your needs or the images portrayed by the brand. I think for my father, domestics (well, jeep, vans and trucks) will always be the solid, rugged, powerful, gas guzzlers.

For japanese cars, he goes for reliability and fuel economy. Euro-brands he just goes for the name
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

- My dad's old car was a domestic and it was ridiculously unreliable.
- My first car was a domestic and it also was ridiculously unreliable.
- My grandma owns a domestic and surprise...it also was unreliable. (although it was the most reliable of the domestics we've had).

And its because of those reasons, our family refuses to buy domestic again. Call it bad luck, but until we run into bad experiences with imports, I doubt we'll be going back to domestic.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
I doubt most people are thinking about the loyalty factor when they walk into a dealership, the only thing on most people’s mind is what car fits their budget and needs and what car manufacture can offer the best deals.
that is simply not true. if it were, why are people buying cars like the RSX-S, civic si, and other $30k sports coupes instead of cars like cobalt SS, srt-4, etc...? Hmmmm, not fully loaded acura TL, vs fully loaded buick lucerne? brand loyalty is huge in the car industry.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Hmmmm, not fully loaded acura TL, vs fully loaded buick lucerne? brand loyalty is huge in the car industry.
Who would want to buy a Buick though?

I know for a fact when it comes to my dad - he would only buy an import. He drives an import, his friends drive imports, his friends kids drive imports and so on and so on..His friends who drive domestics always have the car in the shop, or are always complaining about has milage...granted that we're east indian and most folks from Asia are loyal to imports...

I don't think it's the safe choice in terms of image..maybe it is..cause everyone else is driving them...but could it be that there better cars>? and to change this would be a step back ?? Theres nothing out there for my dad that suggests he should change his buying patterns..

You have a domestic hybrid in the ford focus and the honda hybrid...which one is my dad going to choose?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
^ factor in resell value of the vibe and that scares away buyers
That's only compounding the same problem. Why would you pay more for a used Toyota that is the SAME CAR as the Pontiac?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
I think the car buy you is associated with image. People feel safe about their image in a Toyota. Cars are just like clothes, if TnA or lululemon made jeans for men, and they're the exact same as Diesel pair of jeans but with a cheaper price tag, guys will still pay premium for the Diesel name.

Likewise, (example only) I prefer to be seen driving in a Toyota because I heard Toyota has a good name. I don't want to seem like a fool for stepping away from the crowd and buying a Pontiac.
Of course its associated with image, that image needs to change to say "I'm dumb for paying too much" rather than "bling bling yo".

As for steeping away from the crowd... well sheep do flock together, yet I'd prefer not to be called a sheep.

I made the mistake of buying a car on brand name, and its been very unreliable. My next car will be much more researched.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
That's only compounding the same problem. Why would you pay more for a used Toyota that is the SAME CAR as the Pontiac?
The Toyota Matrix is manufactured in Cambridge, Ontario where as the Vibe is assembled in Fremont, California?? Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

thats cause domestics have had such a bad rep for the past decade and a half. its going to take a LONG time before people start to feel good about them again, but that time will come.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Who would want to buy a Buick though?

I know for a fact when it comes to my dad - he would only buy an import. He drives an import, his friends drive imports, his friends kids drive imports and so on and so on..His friends who drive domestics always have the car in the shop, or are always complaining about has milage...granted that we're east indian and most folks from Asia are loyal to imports...

I don't think it's the safe choice in terms of image..maybe it is..cause everyone else is driving them...but could it be that there better cars>? and to change this would be a step back ?? Theres nothing out there for my dad that suggests he should change his buying patterns..
Many many Chinese like Buicks, its about the brand name and Buick did well lining up some high profile celebs to drive Buicks.

There's nothing to suggest changing his buying patterns? Hmmmm Toyota's declining reliability, Honda's increasing price, both Honda and Toyota increasing the size of their "small" cars, both charging high finance rates and unwilling to negotiate prices, ... compared to GMs improved reliability and cheap financing?

My GMs of the 80s were bullet-proof (while Honda and Toyota were making garbage small cars), the GM cars of the 90s were unreliable rust buckets (while Civics/Camrys were selling like hotcakes). Things change, don't let attitudes keep you stagnant.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post

do people honestly buy toyotas for the name?

thats like bragging to your friends about getting a frigidare fridge.

"cool appliance man. glad you enjoy it"

if cars are like clothes toyotas are walmart branded.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
The Toyota Matrix is manufactured in Cambridge, Ontario where as the Vibe is assembled in Fremont, California?? Just a thought.
Good point!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

dude taylor the fact of the matter is toyota > pontiac in every way.. the name , the quality... the whole line up of cars they have to offer .. and the reliability, end of story.

White|nav|fully loaded|Black int|FujitA intake|Lexus HKS exhaust|Tein S-techs|GFX front lip|GFX sideskirts|Fablous rear skirt| JUN TW roof spoiller| 6000k lowbeams/fogs|LED's|JL W7 12" custom box|JL 1000/1 amp|19" Mrr Gt-1 black/polish lip|Blitz grill|projectkics 15mm|

FS:MRR GT-1 19" black/polished lip *mint*
L-S-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThug View Post

Awesome!

Devil's Advocate: Lexus doesn't exist overseas, everything is a Toyota. So loyalty is with a manufacturer, not a made up luxury brand.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-S-D View Post
dude taylor the fact of the matter is toyota > pontiac in every way.. the name , the quality... the whole line up of cars they have to offer .. and the reliability, end of story.
What "fact" would that be?

Fact is the Vibe and Matrix are the same car. Please tell me the "facts" that make the Matrix more reliable.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #23

aren't half of the german/japanese lux suv's u see on the streets built in alabama anyways, inclouding the new rx in ont.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
What "fact" would that be?

Fact is the Vibe and Matrix are the same car. Please tell me the "facts" that make the Matrix more reliable.

that maybe so but in the end both those cars are crap, u get what u pay. those cars are like 15 gs my rims cost almost that much, and in the end ppl would still rather have a toyota over a pontiac becus of the name and reliability rep of it, name 1 car by pontiac that has been around for over 10 years like a camry through the 90's and had a rep till now ???

White|nav|fully loaded|Black int|FujitA intake|Lexus HKS exhaust|Tein S-techs|GFX front lip|GFX sideskirts|Fablous rear skirt| JUN TW roof spoiller| 6000k lowbeams/fogs|LED's|JL W7 12" custom box|JL 1000/1 amp|19" Mrr Gt-1 black/polish lip|Blitz grill|projectkics 15mm|

FS:MRR GT-1 19" black/polished lip *mint*
L-S-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThug View Post

QFT.

unless of course you are getting an 90's Supra, then its like that super awesome old fridge that was the first to come up with the instant ice maker w/ water dispenser combo or something lol
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote