REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Legal Racing & Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-legal-racing-events_146/)
-   -   Possible new motorplex coming to the island! We need your imput! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/569043-possible-new-motorplex-coming-island-we-need-your-imput.html)

Madman Civic 03-20-2009 08:07 PM

Possible new motorplex coming to the island! We need your input!

City of Campbell River has given us the green light to look into building a full motorplex facility here in Campbell River.We are looking for people to submit ideas and info for ALL motorsports disciplines.We are planning on having the islands only NHRA 1/4 mile dragstrip as well as a circle track,autocross course,motocross track and truck/mud course.A meeting was held last week and we have great support from many organizations.400 acres of land has been located and offered to us at a fair price courtesy of Timberwest and it is located beside the Campbell River airport. We welcome any supporters and organizations to contact us for more info and to give us any imput on what the motorsports community would like to see built. Contact Eric Harper of Harpers Performance Tuning in Campbell River 250 287 9003 or http://crdrags.com/index.shtml

Eastwood 04-03-2009 06:28 PM

Wow. I wish something like this could be down further south of the island.

Only 1/4 mile? Or will you have a turning track as well?

4doorVIP 04-03-2009 07:19 PM

Fuck ya, nice job getting the go ahead!

stevo911_ 04-03-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 6363937)
Wow. I wish something like this could be down further south of the island.

Only 1/4 mile? Or will you have a turning track as well?

should have finished reading the sentence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman Civic (Post 6340155)
We are planning on having the islands only NHRA 1/4 mile dragstrip as well as a circle track,autocross course,motocross track and truck/mud course.

Minnionator 05-02-2009 10:37 PM

im totally down, and stoked for this.

i think though, motorcorss and mud sports should, or can be left out of the game. the reason being, we already have a world renown MX track, and theres lots of good mudding trails around the back roads.

we need a place to drift, autox, maybe do some street bike racing or supermoto, etc etc.

supermoto could be very feasible, and might appease some of the MX guys.

CoastDrift 05-04-2009 09:37 AM

My .02:

I read you will be starting with a 1/4 mile drag strip, then moving on to building an oval.

May i suggest you do a road course second, rather than the oval?

Saratoga Speedway already has an oval track 10 minutes from this location, and there are already 2 oval tracks on the island. By building another oval in the area, you will be entering in direct competition with these already established tracks, and diluting the fan base.

On the other hand, there is a huge demand for a local road course. Disciplines such as drift and time attack are gaining immensely in popularity. Currently, getting out on a road course in BC is rather challenging.

With a road course, even of modest size, you are going to draw fans from all over the island, and racers from all over the province. There is definitely a HUGE demand. Running open time attack sessions once or twice a week will also spur a lot of growth in motorsport industry here on the island, as there will be lots of guys building up their cars for time attack.

Minnionator 05-04-2009 02:19 PM

theres already a good quarter mile out at port alberni. albeit a bit far away for regular use, its not as much of a priority as a road course/complex is.

i think a time attack/road circuit with a smaller inner section for cart/bike use would be great. something large and 'car-ish' on an outer track, and then cuts across and around the inside, for tighter stuff.

alot of the nascar tracks have features like this, that the bikes and touring and indy cars use, instead of just running an oval, or simple circuit. inner and outer track sort of deal.

not to mention the benefits of 'having a place for those punk teens to race their cars, off the road.'

im sure a non oval circuit would be more appealing to the local touge and drift guys, than saratoga or western speedway are.

Fleemer 05-11-2009 09:32 AM

I'l have to agree with coast drift.

The island doesn't need another oval. Western does have an inside track but its meh.

Road race coarse would be awesome, make it really twisty with atleast 1 hairpin for the drifters.

I was going to build my car for drifting/road racing but the lack of road racing near the capital/vancouver is a real disappointment.

twisted_koala 05-11-2009 09:40 AM

i think if you have a circuit with a lot of curves, something like streets of willow in so cal would be great. run off is waaaaay more important than walls as well. A lot of the current raceways have a lot of walls, the only walls that should be up are those for protecting spectators, other than that theres no reason imo.

Im all for a circuit that a variety of motorsports can use, like drifting and bike racing. An actual circuit would be great cause everything here in the NW is very small, the only circuit close is Pacific Raceway in WA and PIR in Portland Oregan.

PLEASE dont make another oval track, cause NO ONE USES THEM

<3

sumin like this would be interesting

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Course.svg.png

or

if built on the side of a mountain, would be great for elevation changes, Horse Theif Mile from so cal.

http://race.commline.com/trackmaps/W...eThiefMile.jpg

ive been to HTM for an All Star Bash for drifting couple years ago and it was awesome, heres a vid of some of the corners

http://vimeo.com/3812217

Black SC2 05-11-2009 05:29 PM

Good points on the MX. There are 5 tracks on the island now. It will get to the point where each track will only be able to host one or two events a season, and most clubs won't go for that.

Oval track situation is about the same as far as I can tell between Western and Saratoga.

There is no good 1/4 mile on the island. Alberni is a pretty rough track, and the attitude out there is the shits.

As for putting a road course inside an oval, you need a big oval to make that reasonable. All the roundy round guys on the island are short trackers. They're going through numbers issues as it is right now, in terms of how many cars are making it out to events. Adding a large oval will water down their numbers, as guys will either need two cars, or lots of spares to be able to compete on both a short and long oval.

A dedicated drag strip and road course makes the most sense to me. As there are vacancies in both spots. Also, especially in the case of a road course, the people who race at those types of venues are willing to travel to race at a good facility. Hell, people run up to Ashcroft still to race there.

agm 05-31-2009 09:44 PM

i would kill for a time attack course here on the island.

or a wickedly long strip where i can wind out 5th or 6th gear. oddly enough police dont like when you do triple the highway speed limit around here

if you had a course and 1/4 mile i'd be up there almost every weekend.

wnderinguy 05-31-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agm (Post 6445922)
i would kill for a time attack course here on the island.

or a wickedly long strip where i can wind out 5th or 6th gear. oddly enough police dont like when you do triple the highway speed limit around here

if you had a course and 1/4 mile i'd be up there almost every weekend.

Having a decent course on the Island would definitely be plus ,I'd be there as a spectator if not participant .:spin:

Nightwalker 05-31-2009 10:23 PM

Brutal honesty:
I don't think we have enough enthusiasts to support such a facility.

isl_cruiser 06-21-2009 11:23 PM

^^^I completly disagree with that^^^ The rate I've seen it been goin, theres only getting more enthusiasts. This is somthing we need to help that situation.

hk20000 06-22-2009 01:58 AM

why only on the island and no respectable track on the Mainlands is beyond me. There are more enthusiasts, there are more land, mainland is a lot more accessible to our Southern neighbors....

whoever wants to do a motorplex in Canada is a fool. Wanting to do that on the island is downright stupid.

GTS.Ed 06-22-2009 09:36 AM