REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   New Town and Country mall... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/569106-new-town-country-mall.html)

_Hotsauce_ 03-21-2009 01:21 PM

New Town and Country mall...

I've heard all sorts of things about whats going in there, but they have advertisement up now. I didn't realize this project was so massive.

Check it out here--> http://www.shopuptown.ca/#/film

AJL 03-21-2009 02:26 PM

this link will show you the extent of the project
http://www.shopuptown.ca/#/flythrough

the portion that is under construction right now is phase 1 of the project and mostly just parking with one tenants store being built.

NashMan 03-22-2009 10:44 AM

seams to have dick for parketing

Enraged 03-22-2009 10:59 AM

most of the parking is underground....

jigga250 03-22-2009 12:41 PM

I thought there was supposed to be highrise condos somewhere in there...

Enraged 03-22-2009 12:47 PM

the operative word being was

apparantly cancelled, like alot of other condo projects.

AJL 03-22-2009 02:33 PM

actually the condos are simply on hold right now and not cancelled, mostly due to the construction schedule, they still have phase 2 to build and the condos are part of phase 3 which is probably 3-4 years out. By that time i bet they will be back.

The parking is majority underground with a few stalls on top of the first tenants roof which i am sure by now we all know is wal-mart. On the south side of the site "main street" a hand full of surface parking spaces will be in phase 1. I forget the actual parking stall count but i don't think it will be an issue to find a space.

Great68 03-22-2009 02:48 PM

That project was a massive gong show at the beginning.

Walmart is a freaking disease...

tamazoid 03-22-2009 04:55 PM

I believe it's still the biggest project in BC... Seeing that a lot of projects are either on hold and canceled due to the economy.

Enraged 03-22-2009 05:53 PM

you think they will still build the condos? have you seen whats happening with the other new developments? Bear Mountain is giving 40% off their units, Reflections can't get rid of units even at developer cost, the Juliet still has multiple unlived-in units for sale... condos have taken a huge hit in the past few months, I don't see the situation changing for a number of years, especially with the probability of rising interest rates in the future...

And I have to agree with Great68, plus who would want to live beside a Walmart. Almost as bad as the condos right beside McDonalds that is across the street from Town&Country...

Great68 03-22-2009 06:04 PM

Walmart does not like to close.

The project was held up for a good half a year or more because Walmart wasn't going to have enough parking spots during construction...

AJL 03-22-2009 07:45 PM

Great68,
that is an interesting and somewhat true comment but only a partial reason behind the delay in construction. Lets not forget that one contractor parted ways with the project and a joint venture between Magil and Vanbots was formed to continue the project.

The condo's will be re evaluated when phase 2 is underway, I don't believe any word has come out about them being cancelled just speculation, the next time I see the developer I will ask them. I know that anchor 2 is designed to support the tower structures...

I am surprised at the comments about living so close to a mall, most major malls i have seen are usually one of the denser populated areas of a city, then again my views are probably heavily biased in this situation.

I am interested in hearing how the project was a massive "gong show" to start with though....

ness_71 03-22-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6342492)
And I have to agree with Great68, plus who would want to live beside a Walmart. Almost as bad as the condos right beside McDonalds that is across the street from Town&Country...

Isn't that the entire point of condos? Living in the city and the convenience of being located close to everything.

Enraged 03-22-2009 09:29 PM

as someone looking to buy in the near future, i would not want to live beside a walmart or a mcdonalds, but maybe that's just me.

Fleemer 03-22-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6342812)
as someone looking to buy in the near future, i would not want to live beside a walmart or a mcdonalds, but maybe that's just me.

no thats not just you.

NashMan 03-22-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

cause you have no will power

ness_71 03-22-2009 09:35 PM

Why? If you don't like those places you don't have to shop there just because they are across the street.

projectcivic 03-23-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

You may feel that way but I live right around the corner on Vernon and the condo's in my building jumped on average $20,000 the month that this project was aproved. And most people I talk to (not just in my building but in everyday life) all agree that this is a great thing for anyone living close to it. Alot of people like to be close to a center like this.

AJL 03-23-2009 06:02 AM

from the complaints i have heard before it seems people are worried about the traffic. The condos are on one side of the site with provisions for secure underground parking, don't want tenants to complain about there spot being gone, with the "high turnover" stores located as far away as possible.

At the end of the day you can not please everyone, i would sooner the mall be built, heck its what is keeping me employed right now. From what i heard in the community people have mixed feelings on the project, some as stated here, some are excited they will no longer have to drive out to langford.

You may have noticed that the condo market has taking a hit here because it is not feasible for landlords to buy property right now that they can not rent. When i moved here i had a choice of several places in the same price range, completely different areas, completely different sizes, some were willing to work on the price while others still believed they had a chance to get the over inflated price they were asking for. Perhaps this will change by the time the condos are being built, and if i were the developer i would market the condos as investments, student living, vacation homes, or as an easy acess to everything you need.

When I get to work today I will look into the suite layouts, if any exist, for the condo and the overall parking count for the site.

Great68 03-23-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL (Post 6342642)

I am interested in hearing how the project was a massive "gong show" to start with though....

The problems with the first general contractor, wal-mart, big delays etc. etc. = The Gong Show at the beginning.

Once Vanbots got in it sure took off and is cruising along now.

Curious, what are you doing on the project?

Enraged 03-23-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectcivic (Post 6343253)
You may feel that way but I live right around the corner on Vernon and the condo's in my building jumped on average $20,000 the month that this project was aproved. And most people I talk to (not just in my building but in everyday life) all agree that this is a great thing for anyone living close to it. Alot of people like to be close to a center like this.

as I said, personal preference. if that is what you want, then i dont argue the fact. everyone has different preferences for housing.

Enraged 03-23-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashMan (Post 6342822)
cause you have no will power

wtf does that mean?

Fleemer 03-23-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6343753)
wtf does that mean?

I think he thinks that you don't want to move there because you don't want to shop at wall mart and eat McDonald on a daily basis.

I -know- you don't because you don't want to live next to places associated with evil :P

Enraged 03-23-2009 04:30 PM

ah, ok.

regarding mcdonalds though, it has nothing to do with the chain or the food they sell, it's the horrendous smell coming out of their hvac system. it's nasty just driving by it, i wouldn't be able to live near it...

AJL 03-23-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6343707)
The problems with the first general contractor, wal-mart, big delays etc. etc. = The Gong Show at the beginning.

Once Vanbots got in it sure took off and is cruising along now.

Curious, what are you doing on the project?

I work in the Vanbots office, I assume with your knowledge of the project you work for one of the trades? or keep a close eye on the daily happenings.