REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Help with Street Racing Report (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570110-help-street-racing-report.html)

Eastwood 03-29-2009 10:06 AM

Help with Street Racing Report

Hey Guys hopefully some of you can help me out with a report I'm writing on street racing in the capital region. I'm going to primarily focus on how street racing is becoming a growing problem in Victoria - though I don't feel that way personally.

Regardless, my sources are gonna be mostly from the TC, Victoria News, and Saanich News articles. I'm also gonna interview a police officer and get his views on the topic.

If anyone has anything I can add, or general ideas for the topic, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guy.

Renthal 03-29-2009 11:17 AM

it all comes back to marketing... smoke and mirrors..
fast and furious, faster cars being produced

or something like that! :rolleyes:

Eastwood 03-29-2009 11:23 AM

^ And overnight parts from Japan if I have to. I'm sure Harry's can supply them for me.

Anyways thanks for the input.

Enraged 03-29-2009 11:24 AM

why dont you focus on a serious problem, like drinking and driving?

Eastwood 03-29-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6353739)
why dont you focus on a serious problem, like drinking and driving?

Ohhh don't worry thats going to be included. I'm going to compare the two, and question why street racing has more penalties than D&D'ing even though more deaths are associated with alcohol.

Anyways I'm about to go down to the cop-shop and see if I can get an interview with an officer.

dustinb 03-29-2009 12:14 PM

How big of a project is this? You could talk to the SISLRA (drag racing @ western), and see if membership has declined / grown, and see if it correlates with the # of street racing tickets given. Maybe also look into growing # of cars on the road = the inability to speed as much, and there might be a link then to people street racing to get their need for speed, rather then just an open road (which is hard to come by).

Anyways, good luck with the report.

Enraged 03-29-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 6353753)
Ohhh don't worry thats going to be included. I'm going to compare the two, and question why street racing has more penalties than D&D'ing even though more deaths are associated with alcohol.

i assume street racing is more news-worthy because it gets peoples attention, whereas drinking and driving is "normal" news... sad.

anyways, it seems that your goal is not to be sensationalist, which is a nice change from local papers.

Renthal 03-29-2009 01:42 PM

u could proabably find stats for when before the L and N learners stages and afterwards and see how good that program is working.
Try to find the correlation between movies (fast and furious) games (GTA, gran turismo etc.) and see what the numbers were before these titles were out and afterwards.
Maybe find a direct correlation between when these movies hit theaters, if the number of street racing incidents increase??

talk to the cops, read reports and news briefs and try to find some common demographics in the street races. i.e. Age, vehicles, time of day, location...

See if anti-street racing and drunk driving in youth programs are working. Like when cops go and talk to highschool kids and warn them about the dangers of drinking and driving and street racing and they bring a trashed car to the school to show off. If there has been less occurances since these programs were introduced?

BNR32_Coupe 03-29-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 6353753)

Anyways I'm about to go down to the cop-shop and see if I can get an interview with an officer.

Genius! :thumbsup:

Paradox 03-29-2009 07:07 PM

i hardly ever see anyone "street racing" anymore. kind of weird actually.

a couple of years ago it was a lot more prominent. i think the F&F craze is winding down.

LsquareD 03-29-2009 07:15 PM

Ask Freddy.