REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
I don't get it

question about oil change and winter storage

i got my car back in october 2008 and it is in storage now since beginning of winter. it has just over 1000km's on it and i'm planning to insure it in june. do i have to change out the break-in oil? i have heard to leave in the break-in oil until 6000km's. thanks.
Advertisement
pwp type-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Where did you hear the 6000km oil change after break in from?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp type-s View Post
break-in oil?
What car are we talking about here ?
most manufacturers don't use special break-in oil anymore (there's some exception of course)
Those could be just regular engine oil.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
I don't get it

sorry, this is for an s2000. i have read from the s2000 forums. i have read that some people leave it in until 6000km and some people change it right after the break in period. i think the owners manual says not to change the oil until its scheduled to.

reason im asking this is because my car will be in storage for about 6 months and i'm not sure if it's good to leave the oil in for that long without running it.
pwp type-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Breakin oil afaik is a myth. There are many proponents of a very prompt oil change at after 1000 or 2000 km when the car is brand new.

Most winter storage guides I've seen recommend changing the engine oil before putting the car away (and in many cases the other fluids as well).
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp type-s View Post
i got my car back in october 2008 and it is in storage now since beginning of winter. it has just over 1000km's on it and i'm planning to insure it in june. do i have to change out the break-in oil? i have heard to leave in the break-in oil until 6000km's. thanks.
I will recommend that you do an oil change for your first 1000 km especially the oil has been stored through out winter for 6 month. (more likely if you store ur car outside)

Note: Mercedez has ask me to come in at 1000 km (break in oil change) with synthetic oil and I have done that with every car I own.

Last edited by mpr; 03-29-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: grammar
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
So you're saying the car has the same oil that it had when it rolled off the factory floor? It was driven 1000K and will have been sitting for 6 months?

When a brand new motor breaks in, parts seat and produce metal particles that collect in the oil. That oil and it's contaminants have been (or will have been) sitting in the bottom of your oil pan for 6 months.

Do you really think driving another 5000k on that oil is a good idea?

Oil changes are cheap insurance.

And btw oil changes should be made based on mileage AND time. I'm sure somewhere in your manual, it will say oil changes are due at xxxxkm/x months, whichever comes first.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #8

Break in oil is simply non-synthetic to allow for wearing and proper engine 'break in'

I'm at 19,000km (4th oil) and still using non-synthetic.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
So you're saying the car has the same oil that it had when it rolled off the factory floor? It was driven 1000K and will have been sitting for 6 months?

When a brand new motor breaks in, parts seat and produce metal particles that collect in the oil. That oil and it's contaminants have been (or will have been) sitting in the bottom of your oil pan for 6 months.

Do you really think driving another 5000k on that oil is a good idea?

Oil changes are cheap insurance.

And btw oil changes should be made based on mileage AND time. I'm sure somewhere in your manual, it will say oil changes are due at xxxxkm/x months, whichever comes first.
what he said. oil starts to go bad the minute you crack open the cap on the bottle.... change it after 6 months regardless if you've done zero mileage on it.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote