REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Disputed court date, If I cannot appear to court on given day..

Okay, so I disputed a ticket I got about half a year ago, now a letter came in the mail telling me to appear in court (as expected).

I can't make it on that day because I am going to be out of the country, I'm just wondering if they ask for documentations for proof, such as a plane ticket receipt, etc.

Also if I have work and cannot appear to court, do they ignore that and tell you to come anyway?

This question might sound stupid, but I really do have a good reason for asking this. Thanks for the patience!
Advertisement
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

just dont show up, you'll be found guilty of that ticket and have to pay it. you won't get in trouble or anything if thats what your worried about.

Or , you can ask for a different court date....i think..
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If is is a traffic ticket you can contact the dispute centre and request another date...they'll tell you what needs to be done. If you don't show up the court takes that as you having abandoned your dispute and you will be found guilty and the fine will need to be paid.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If is is a traffic ticket you can contact the dispute centre and request another date...they'll tell you what needs to be done. If you don't show up the court takes that as you having abandoned your dispute and you will be found guilty and the fine will need to be paid.
In other words, you'll need proof.

I was wondering this earlier, but what is the fax number of the RCMP Burnaby Detachment? Is it the same as their main line?

A friend of mine received a ticket in Burnaby (somewhere near hastings and carleton IIRC) and was looking to dispute and I suggested to him that he get the notes of the officer. Just wondering if it is admissible for him to request disclosure via fax? And would it be the the Burnaby Detachment on Deer Lake Ave?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

No, you just need to request a later court date for a traffic ticket. A criminal code trial is different.

I believe that a letter is the best way to go. That way you know your request got there, in writing. You have to be specific in your request as general requests, specially for those things you will not get, will not be complied with. You are dealing with a legal system and they are big on being exact..small on "fishing expeditions". Internet wesbite selling you equipment or books on how to beat tickets are not the best source of information. Most of the things they say are incorrect or do not apply in a BC Traffic Court.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
No, you just need to request a later court date for a traffic ticket. A criminal code trial is different.

I believe that a letter is the best way to go. That way you know your request got there, in writing. You have to be specific in your request as general requests, specially for those things you will not get, will not be complied with. You are dealing with a legal system and they are big on being exact..small on "fishing expeditions". Internet wesbite selling you equipment or books on how to beat tickets are not the best source of information. Most of the things they say are incorrect or do not apply in a BC Traffic Court.
That would have been my first suggestion to him but the thing is, his court date is less than a month away. So I figured the quickest way would be via fax. Eitherway, the letter for disclosure, what should it say/include? I have never gotten a ticket so I really can't help him with regards to this kind of specific info.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

you can download a form called "applicatation to adjourn a hearing".

google it...I'm too lazy to find the link.

state your reasons and send it to the violation ticket centre.

they will either approve or disapprove your request.

they will call you if they disapprove, or send you a new date
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i believe if you dont show up, all they do is make you pay the ticket....

http://www.604racing.com/Forums/banner_2.jpg
Revolution Auto Performance Studio

5531 Minoru Boulevard . Richmond British Columbia

Telephone . (604) 279-2528
Facsimile . (604) 279.7902
Email . info@604racing.com

Business Hours . Monday - Friday | 9:30am - 6pm PST

TITEK | BC RACING | GTSPEC | ALUMINA | RDI | NRG | BEAKS | 3DDESIGN

WORK | BREYTON | MARCATO | 360 FORGED | DPE | VELLANO
Revolution02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer

If you were to read 4 posting subjects above this one, it would save everyone a lot of time reposting. "how to deal with a violation ticket". You might also try using the search function.