REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Angry Island Driving Culture

Although my experience of driving elsewhere in the world is somewhat limited, I have found that there is a very curious (and very annoying) driving culture that is unique to Vancouver Island. In particular, two things I've noticed:

1) If two lanes merge into one, it is expected that everyone will move over into the continuing lane as soon as they realize their lane is ending. Anyone who stays in the merge lane without attempting to quickly change lanes is shunned and will get scornful looks from other drivers. This is in stark contrast to what I noticed during my two years living in Vancouver, where alternating merges are completely acceptable and everyone stays in the merge lane as long as possible.

2) This one is particularly bothersome to me: I've noticed that people are very offended when you want to drive faster than them. As an example, this weekend I was driving out to the airport. The road was completely deserted aside from two cars who were driving nearly beside one another. The speed limit was 90, these cars were driving about 95. I was late for a plane and approached them doing about 120 (please spare me the lecture about speeding, I understand the legal and safety implications). I quickly moved into the passing lane and waited about 30 seconds for the car to move out of the way (either in front of or behind the car in the outside lane). When she didn't move over, I flashed my high beams twice. She still didn't move over. I flashed and used my left hand turn signal to indicate that I wanted to pass. She again refused to move. When the car on the right finally exited the highway and I was able to pass, I glanced over at the driver (who was continuing to cruise in the passing lane) and got a very scornful look (as if I was some sort of evil man trying to exceed the speed limit). This sort of thing happens to me extremely often (often daily) because I tend to drive 20-40km/hr over the speed limit on highways, assuming conditions permit.

Why is this considered unacceptable? Why do other drivers insist on cruising in the passing lane and blocking my attempts to pass? Do they have a vested interest in prohibiting me from driving faster than they do? What is the motivation? Why is it so wrong for me to wish to pass someone? If I were going 170 and driving recklessly, I could understand the condescending looks. But I'm not, I simply wish to drive faster than they do. I have no idea why this is such a problem here on the Island. Elsewhere in the world, the majority of drivers would be apologetic for impeding a faster moving vehicle.

Anyway, the Island driving culture continues to be a fascinating and maddening experience for me on a daily basis..... any other thoughts on this?

*steps off soap box*
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Yeah the drive between Nanaimo and Victoria will show many drivers who fall under your second example.

They are either oblivious to whats going on around them, and don't know any better about sitting in the left lane, or like you say, they are intent on stopping traffic flow.

If that happened in Washington, they would likely be run off the road lol. Everyone down there knows what it means to get flashed while your in the passing lane. And they are very quick to move over.
Corey Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Meh, the only one that gets me is people driving with their lights and foglamps on, in the rain, at night and not turning them off. Then there's people that dont turn their high beams off soon enough or at all, but he foglamps are way more common.
Island_Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

Yep, I definitely agree that some people are simply oblivious of everything going on around them on the road. I chalk this up to general incompetence and terrible driving. That being said, it's pretty hard to miss a pair of HID's rapidly approaching when it's dark and there's no-one else on the road.

And yes, I noticed when I went to Seattle earlier this year that there is a much better "code of conduct" when it comes to the passing lane(s). Even in Vancouver, while it can still be an occasional problem, it's not nearly as bad as here on the Island.

In addition to being a pain in the ass, it's a huge safety concern as it encourages reckless driving and weaving in and out of the slow-moving vehicles.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Yota View Post
Meh, the only one that gets me is people driving with their lights and foglamps on, in the rain, at night and not turning them off. Then there's people that dont turn their high beams off soon enough or at all, but he foglamps are way more common.

Dont most fog lights turn on with the lowbeams automatically? Mine always have and I never turned them off.
JesseVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Yota View Post
That probably happens everywhere, as most people have no idea that foglights shouldn't be on in the rain.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i drive langford to vic almost everyday ... allllllllllllll the time people sitting the the passing lane... sitting doing the posted 90 .. that highway is an easy 110 limit ... but whatever i wont even say what i will take that road at when it is clear .. dont wanna get flamed.

there was 1 time that i was heading to town for a course there was 2 cars blocking the car in the right turned off there was a dump truck up infront of here a wee ways so i switched lanes and mashed it .. the freaking lady see me do this so she sped the fuck up .. it was either slamm my brakes on the highways so i dont smash the back of the truck or swerve infront of her . so i swerved infront of her i coulda sworn i had an angle abouve me or something cuz i dont think my ride shoulda fit between the truck at this bitches car ... bahhhhhhhh anyways .. i think the police should be out there enforcing other rules of the road rather then just speeding ...
Deisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisle View Post
there was 1 time that i was heading to town for a course there was 2 cars blocking the car in the right turned off there was a dump truck up infront of here a wee ways so i switched lanes and mashed it .. the freaking lady see me do this so she sped the fuck up .. it was either slamm my brakes on the highways so i dont smash the back of the truck or swerve infront of her . so i swerved infront of her i coulda sworn i had an angle abouve me or something cuz i dont think my ride shoulda fit between the truck at this bitches car ... bahhhhhhhh anyways .. i think the police should be out there enforcing other rules of the road rather then just speeding ...
Couldn't agree more. Infractions like cruising in the passing lane and tailgating are very dangerous as well because they encourage dangerous behaviour.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Douchebag Lover

The passing lane ordeal is especially frustrating, but I luckily rarely drive the highways here. I'd have to say the most frustrating things that I encounter everyday, is the general incompetence of people driving downtown.

Fyi, I think I've seen one, smaller sign, saying something along the lines of "Left lane must only be used for passing" - but of course, this being Vancouver Island - nobody is ever in a hurry.
Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentz View Post
Fyi, I think I've seen one, smaller sign, saying something along the lines of "Left lane must only be used for passing" - but of course, this being Vancouver Island - nobody is ever in a hurry.
There's a fairly large sign facing northbound in the median on the Pat Bay Highway just north of the Mackenzie exit. Numerous times I have stuck my hand out the window and pointed at the sign as I pass people on the right.

And as for your second comment, I think that's the problem: no-one is in a hurry. I'm sure I'll appreciate the slow-moving Island lifestyle when I'm older, but for now it frustrates me to no end.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I think these are more than compensated for by our overall lack of traffic.

I love driving here.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Banned (BBM)

i can't tell you how many times... on my dive anywhere in victoria (highway 1 or whatever) where i get the same thing.

usually worse, as the drivers are below the speed limit and inside on blocking all other traffic, because they can.

its as if they think they own the road and can do whatever they want.

there is a passing lane, and a driving lane. In victoria it seems as if its alot of peoples goals to slow traffic and stop people from getting where they want to go.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #13
AJL
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

actually what i find is the fact two drivers will stop at the same light, take off, then pase each other an not notice the amount of traffic that builds up behind them... I think it is more a lack of attention to your surroundings then entitlement to the road.

As for the merge... I find that in BC it for some reason is the hardest concept for people to figure out... hell they need alternating stop lights in vancouver to get them on the highway. Ugg and the left most lane is meant for passing / faster traffic, i stay in the left lane because i am used to driving 20 km over the limit on the highway (thanks 401), .
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
1) If two lanes merge into one, it is expected that everyone will move over into the continuing lane as soon as they realize their lane is ending. Anyone who stays in the merge lane without attempting to quickly change lanes is shunned and will get scornful looks from other drivers. This is in stark contrast to what I noticed during my two years living in Vancouver, where alternating merges are completely acceptable and everyone stays in the merge lane as long as possible.
Hahaha I said the EXACT same thing when I first moved here, especially since at the time I was commuting the Malahat every day.

It's like when people see that lane ends sign after Spencer Road they're like "OH MY GOD MY LANE'S ENDING, I HAVE TO MERGE NOW!!!!!" Meanwhile I'd just cruise up the right lane until the end and usually get way ahead of those morons.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

In Victoria, if a driver is driving down from Sidney he'll stay in the left lane all the way because he has to make a left onto Fort St. That and the left lane is smoother because the truckers don't use it as much. :/ As for the fog lights, that's one of my peaves too. They do have an off switch and it's practically never foggy enough to need them here.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

The merge issue is mind boggling. Merge lanes here are enormously long here, but people don't use the merge lane, they sit in it with no interest in merging until they hit the end. A prime example is going northbound right after the Spencer Rd shell, pair the disinterest with merging until the last second with people who think they've served their time in the slower lane so they aren't going to make space for the mergers. AAARGH, you ruin my friday afternoons you fucking rubes.
94 JDM GC8
FS:
91 Sambar truck 20k kms. $5800 pm for details.
93 Supercharged Sambar Dias Van 5k kms$7200
h0tSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tSX View Post
The merge issue is mind boggling.
The worst is the merge lanes where people just stop... put their signal light on, and wait for an opening in traffic...

I was taking a left onto mackenzie (waiting in left turn lane), looking at a lady in the merge lane going the other way, just sitting there, with like 40+ cars in tow, waiting for a gap in traffic. She was at the beginning of the merge lane, just stopped, waiting, singal light on, people behind her honking, looking furious. I was just looking at her O.o

Wow, victoria is sad.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Coincidentally I've come acros two incidents in the lat week that make me fear for the knowledge level of the average motorist. Both incidents involve female drivers:

1) Driver: Old lady.
Circumstances given: Stopped at 2 way intersection, stopped at a stop sign. Came to a complete stop, then proceeded to cross the through road, and was hit in the rear quarter by an oncoming vehicle.
Ticket: Fail to yeild to on-coming vehicle.
Argument: I came to a complete stop and waited for 20 seconds before corssing the road. How much longer did everyone think I was going to wait?
My thoughts: Maybe wait until there is no on-coming traffic and it is safe to cross. I mean seriously what is your thought process? "Who I've waited for a bit here, they have no stop sign but I've been here like 30 seconds. F-it! I'm crossing, and they can try and stop for me.
Conclusion: She wants to dispute her ticket. That should be some funny shit.

2)
Driver: Middle aged lady
Circumstances given: Following another car in traffic in heavy rain. "At the last second" the car in front slowed and put on it's signal. She had left a 1 car length gap, and due to the heavy rain the roads were slippery and that caused her to rear-end the driver in front of her.
Ticket: Follow too Closely
Arguement: Other driver signalled and slowed and she didn't expect it. One car length gap in a rain storm at 60km/hr is totally reasonable, and in no way is following too closely. No concept of the idea that you may want to extend the distance between you and other cars if driving conditions are poor.
Conclusion: Wants to fight her ticket. Should be amusing in court when she makes her arguement and police call the evidence of the accident that shows the front of her car smashed into the rear of the other car, and explain that the ticket is for follow to closely.
My take: Should be a bit of aclue that you have followed too closely when the front of your car is rammed up the ass of the car infront of you. Also, a one car gap in a rain storm at night at 60Km/hr? What the F?
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

it should be legal to ram people who sit in the left lane.

Victoria drivers are horrible, they either feel completely entitled to block traffic (which is likely a leading cause of road rage) , or completely oblivious to everything happening around them.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

What I want to know is, why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them? The out of town rubberneckers (and pedestrians for that matter) are the worst of the bunch.

As for the left lane nanny thing, I had to read my wife's mom the riot act about that one night. I hate to be a backseat driver, but as I pointed out to her, her car doesn't have a cop paint scheme, nor does she carry a badge, therefore she has no right to police the road. From her point of view (which is perpetually skewed), she thinks it's okay to slow people down and keep them to the limit. It's amazing how someone;s view will change when faced with the possibility of sleeping in their car outside their kid's house.
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I hate when im cruising at 100-110 in the slow lane when there's no traffic, and someone comes up behind you and just sits there and tail gates you expecting you to speed up.. its called the passing lane bud, use it.
Island_Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I almost crushed a lady who stopped on the HIGHWAY to let someone merge off of the airport merge lane. I couldnt imagine how bad I would have got her/hurt her if I slammed into her doing 90km/h with like 50 cars behind me ready to pound me into her even harder.
JesseVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
People that stop on merge lanes/on ramps to highways should not have a license.

Agree with OP about left lane nannys and how butt hurt people get about someone going up the merge lane.

On Tillicum heading towards Carey when you cross the #1 Highway (By the Chevron) is classic. People often line up in the left lane. Do you really want to get in line behind 20 cars and not make it across the intersection?
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

I don't know if this counts as driving culture, but it seems the average driver on the Royal Oak Drive, and West Saanich road drive about 45kms/h.

That one really pisses me off, as that speed is right in between 3rd and 4th gear, so the whole drive all you hear is WAHHHHHHHHHH, as its loud because of high RPMs, but it's too low of an RPM to shift.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I have lived in 3 countries, and countless cities in each, including the most populated city in the world (Mexico City). Nowhere have I ever had as many bad driving experiences as I have since I moved to Vancouver Island.
Consistently 10mph under the posted speed limit, except for in a school zone where they seem to stomp on the gas and shoot up to 50mph. Which I suppose makes sense, if you would feel better about killing some poor kid than if you just mangled them for the rest of their lives.
Merges are amazing here, each intersection seems to have their own set of unknown rules. Some merges people seem to assume they have the right of way all the time and will just pull out without looking. Others people want to use it as a rest area or brake check pull out.

Here in Courtenay we have an ever increasing number of roundabouts. For those that are unaware of the purpose of this torture device, it was designed as a way combine all the confusion of a Vancouver Island merge with the anger inducing dementia of an intersection.
Don't signal left on a roundabout, cant go left. end of story.
Don't stop at the roundabout, its 4 merges, you merge in, merge out. Yield to oncoming traffic, none there? no stop necessary.
Don't stop IN the round about, it's the whole point, don't need to stop.
Synkt is offline   Reply With Quote