REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Chop-Top Subaru WRX by Car Service Hiro

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=133787

There is a simple formula for making the GDB-generation Subaru Impreza look absolutely stunning, a formula that Subaru could have applied when it designed the car in the studio. It's a design strategy that makes any car look fast, even when it's not moving.

And so we present a Subaru Impreza WRX with a chopped roof, something you don't see every day. In fact, you'll have to go to Japan to see one.

This conversion by Car Service Hiro in Japan makes you forget about the serious high-minded intentions of Subaru. All you have to do is chop the top and voilą; your Fuji Heavy Industries transportation appliance is magically transformed into a proper-looking high-performance car, something you might see at SEMA along with all the other hot rods.

The Hot Rod Roof
Takahiro Nakamura of Car Service Hiro was well aware of what needed to be done when Subaru approached him in 2000 and asked him to turn a stock Impreza WRX (the GDB generation car built from 2000-'07) into an all-out showcar. He went right to it and chopped down the top. Then he thought about what to do next.

Of course chopping a roof is not the easiest modification, which is probably why we don't see more owners of the Impreza making an attempt at it. Lucky for Nakamura, he owns a body shop called Car Service Hiro and knows how to get the job done right.

It didn't stop with just cutting down the roof line, as Nakamura also designed a custom body kit all the way around. The front and rear fascias, hood, trunk and rear wing were all designed by Car Service Hiro.

The result is absolutely sensational. It looks like it came out of the factory like this.

From Showcar to Racecar
Nakamura built this particular car as a Subaru showcar, so it was equipped with a killer stereo system. After Subaru decided to sell off the car, he quickly snapped it up and began changing it into what it is today. First thing, he ripped out the stereo.

Ever since Nakamura was a kid, he has wanted to be a professional racecar driver. He knew he would need a lot of money to kick-start his racing career, so the natural thing for him to do was open up a body shop to make money.

Over the years he has gained experience while building and racing several cars, including a Mazda RX-7, Nissan Skyline R31 and Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS 200), all of which earned respect on both the streets and tracks. Once Nakamura owned this Subaru outright, he was finally able to realize his dream for it. He wanted the car to not only look sleek but also be able to back up its looks on the street and the track.

So the Subaru Impreza WRX chop-top is much different from the showcar it used to be. It's not even the same red color it was when it was touring the show circuit. One of the most amazing things about this Impreza WRX is that Nakamura made the conversion from showcar to street/racecar in only two weeks. But that's just how passionate Nakamura is about building his cars right.

Getting up to Speed
To get the Impreza converted from showcar to racecar, the Subaru EJ20 boxer engine got the full treatment to bring the power up to Nakamura's requirements. All the internals were carefully evaluated and anything deemed not strong enough to handle extra boost from the turbocharger was swapped out for upgraded pieces.

The EJ20 now sports upgraded Marley forged pistons and metal head gaskets. WPC treated the connecting rods and crankshaft to reduce internal engine friction. New camshafts from JUN with more aggressive profiles help the boxer engine breathe like it should. The Brova exhaust manifolds help prevent the cylinders from overheating, a syndrome common to the EJ25. An AVO turbo kit was put in place to crank up the boost.

To keep intake temperatures under control with all that boost, Nakamura added a massive intercooler from ARC V. It not only gets the job done but also looks serious with all that Darth Vader-style plumbing. A MoTeC engine control unit keeps the spark in check and 800cc injectors with a Bosch fuel pump feed the hungry beast all the fuel it needs. A Trust 15 oil cooler keeps the engine's overall heat in control. Car Service Hiro also custom fabricated a dedicated radiator, muffler and even a catalytic converter.

The stock six-speed transmission is still in place, but an ORC twin-plate clutch and Cusco limited-slip differentials both front and rear help the power get to the 18-inch SSR wheels. After that, 265/35R18 Yokohama tires grip the tarmac with the tenacity needed for serious cornering.

Speed Isn't Cheap
Total cost to build the car is at about $250,000, or roughly 10 times the cost of the car when it was new. This is proof that this combination of beauty and speed doesn't come cheap. Anyone who has ever built an all-out racecar or even modified a daily driver knows how fast the bills add up.

With this machine, you do get your money's worth because it can tear up the racetrack, drag race on the highway or attack a Touge run in the mountains with ease. While it may not be the fastest car out there, it does have the honor of having the fifth-fastest time-attack lap at the Tsukuba Circuit, rocking the short circuit in just 59 seconds. Not too bad considering how many modified Subarus there are in Japan.

To keep it safe on the track, a Maruyoshi six-point roll cage and a seat with four-point seatbelt harness protect the driver from harm. The interior is now set up mostly for race mode only, with no signs of a stereo in sight or much of a dash for that matter.

The Subaru following among gearheads in Japan is staggering. Almost every Impreza in Japan has at least one modification, whether it be aesthetic or power-related. Few of them can tear up the track like this one, however, and none of them come close to even looking as good as the Subaru Impreza WRX chop-top from Car Service Hiro.

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX Buzz
Advertisement
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
I juh-izzed.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
for people under 5'4
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Looks nice!

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Circle Stick Square Mod

So SEXY!

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
I don't get it

thats hotttt ... so expensive to build though
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by remak3 View Post
thats hotttt ... so expensive to build though
go back to studying

fifth fastest.......not bad not bad

here's a pic of their chop top 05 STi engine bay, couldn't find a full car shot, I know it is in my computer somewhere....

A comparison

nice v-mount

Last edited by Beilei; 03-31-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Beilei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

i like...
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
HAWT!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
i could never fit in that
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

sex
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I juh-izzed.
+1

O_________O

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote