REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Parallel Parking situations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570359-parallel-parking-situations.html)

E=mc˛ 03-31-2009 01:35 PM

Parallel Parking situations

Just have a couple hypothetical situations. Any help would be appreciated!

1a. If you are driving on a street like say Hastings, and you come across some guy who's about to get into his vehicle to go and you want his spot, you would normally signal right, pull your car to the right a little, and wait. Now my question is, how long are you legally allowed to wait while blocking traffic? I mean, most of the time it isn't long, but sometimes you might encounter special situations where say, it's an old man on a cane, and he's taking a while to get into the car etc. or say some woman first puts stuff in the trunk, then buckles down the baby in the baby seat, before turning on the engine. How long am I allowed to wait before passing on this opportunity to take the spot?

-EDIT-
1b. I decided to add something just so I don't need to make a new topic. While on the subject of blocking traffic. What if you're trying to turn left at an intersection (no lights, it's an intersection onto a small street), and oncoming traffic did not leave you a gap. Are you obligated to move on to the next intersection in this case?

2. If you were to signal your intent to parallel park, and some douche gets right on your tail and won't let you back in to the spot. Will you be at fault for blocking traffic if he refuses to change lanes, and you refuse to budge? Obviously to avoid a confrontation, you would probably just move. This is assuming you did everything perfectly: signaled your intent beforehand, slowed down, and pulled your car slightly to the right.

!Yaminashi 03-31-2009 06:04 PM

I think for 1b you're allowed to wait as long as you need to, the others I'm not too sure

skidmark 03-31-2009 08:07 PM

When vehicle stopping prohibited

189. (1) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with traffic or to comply with the law or
the directions of a peace officer or traffic control device, a person must not stop,
stand or park a vehicle as follows:

(l) on the roadway side of a vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a
roadway;

E=mc˛ 03-31-2009 09:42 PM

thanks
so this basically means you shouldn't hold up traffic while waiting to parallel park? That sucks, although I'm aware most of the time since the wait isn't long it's not a big deal. Only a problem if traffic is extremely heavy.

That act seems to imply that for 1b, if you're waiting to turn left at an intersection with no lights and get blocked. You are not forced to move on to the next intersection then...? The words are confusing to me. At a regular intersection, you're allowed to wait because turning will conflict with oncoming traffic and so you're following the Act. But it seems that "except when necessary to avoid conflict with traffic" might also mean since you can't turn left when the vehicles are stopped and blocking you, you're not in a position where you are necessarily doing this to avoid conflict and so must continue on to the next intersection?

Dragon-88 04-02-2009 04:10 PM

Tell them damn taxi drivers to stop picking up people in the middle of the roads... Soo damn annoying especially in residential neighborhoods.. Dont know how to parallel park then dont drive...

johny 04-02-2009 11:47 PM

1a about 5 secs. drive around the block.

1b, if you are crossing a double yellow then you can't hold back traffic, otherwise sit there for as long as you want. (hopefully if you are blocking the entire road behind you, you'll move, but if traffic can get around and by then it's ok.)

E=mc˛ 04-04-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6362738)
1a about 5 secs. drive around the block.

1b, if you are crossing a double yellow then you can't hold back traffic, otherwise sit there for as long as you want. (hopefully if you are blocking the entire road behind you, you'll move, but if traffic can get around and by then it's ok.)

Alright makes sense I guess for 1a. I wouldn't want to be waiting behind someone during heavy traffic just because they're waiting for someone to get out of their parking spot. If the person getting out just got into their car or whatever then that's fine cause it won't take long. I wouldn't say 5 seconds (although I'm sure you don't mean literally 5 seconds) is the max.

1b. I'm sure you can't block traffic even if it was a single yellow? Since the difference between double vs single is that double has the no passing restriction.

for 2, I guess drive around the block is the best heh

underscore 04-05-2009 09:19 PM

for 2, if you have your reverse lights on for say, 10 seconds, and he doesn't move just go around the block.