REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
I don't get it

Parallel Parking situations

Just have a couple hypothetical situations. Any help would be appreciated!

1a. If you are driving on a street like say Hastings, and you come across some guy who's about to get into his vehicle to go and you want his spot, you would normally signal right, pull your car to the right a little, and wait. Now my question is, how long are you legally allowed to wait while blocking traffic? I mean, most of the time it isn't long, but sometimes you might encounter special situations where say, it's an old man on a cane, and he's taking a while to get into the car etc. or say some woman first puts stuff in the trunk, then buckles down the baby in the baby seat, before turning on the engine. How long am I allowed to wait before passing on this opportunity to take the spot?

-EDIT-
1b. I decided to add something just so I don't need to make a new topic. While on the subject of blocking traffic. What if you're trying to turn left at an intersection (no lights, it's an intersection onto a small street), and oncoming traffic did not leave you a gap. Are you obligated to move on to the next intersection in this case?

2. If you were to signal your intent to parallel park, and some douche gets right on your tail and won't let you back in to the spot. Will you be at fault for blocking traffic if he refuses to change lanes, and you refuse to budge? Obviously to avoid a confrontation, you would probably just move. This is assuming you did everything perfectly: signaled your intent beforehand, slowed down, and pulled your car slightly to the right.
Advertisement
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
How I Mod your mother

I think for 1b you're allowed to wait as long as you need to, the others I'm not too sure
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

When vehicle stopping prohibited

189. (1) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with traffic or to comply with the law or
the directions of a peace officer or traffic control device, a person must not stop,
stand or park a vehicle as follows:

(l) on the roadway side of a vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a
roadway;

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
I don't get it

thanks
so this basically means you shouldn't hold up traffic while waiting to parallel park? That sucks, although I'm aware most of the time since the wait isn't long it's not a big deal. Only a problem if traffic is extremely heavy.

That act seems to imply that for 1b, if you're waiting to turn left at an intersection with no lights and get blocked. You are not forced to move on to the next intersection then...? The words are confusing to me. At a regular intersection, you're allowed to wait because turning will conflict with oncoming traffic and so you're following the Act. But it seems that "except when necessary to avoid conflict with traffic" might also mean since you can't turn left when the vehicles are stopped and blocking you, you're not in a position where you are necessarily doing this to avoid conflict and so must continue on to the next intersection?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Tell them damn taxi drivers to stop picking up people in the middle of the roads... Soo damn annoying especially in residential neighborhoods.. Dont know how to parallel park then dont drive...

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

1a about 5 secs. drive around the block.

1b, if you are crossing a double yellow then you can't hold back traffic, otherwise sit there for as long as you want. (hopefully if you are blocking the entire road behind you, you'll move, but if traffic can get around and by then it's ok.)
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
1a about 5 secs. drive around the block.

1b, if you are crossing a double yellow then you can't hold back traffic, otherwise sit there for as long as you want. (hopefully if you are blocking the entire road behind you, you'll move, but if traffic can get around and by then it's ok.)

Alright makes sense I guess for 1a. I wouldn't want to be waiting behind someone during heavy traffic just because they're waiting for someone to get out of their parking spot. If the person getting out just got into their car or whatever then that's fine cause it won't take long. I wouldn't say 5 seconds (although I'm sure you don't mean literally 5 seconds) is the max.

1b. I'm sure you can't block traffic even if it was a single yellow? Since the difference between double vs single is that double has the no passing restriction.

for 2, I guess drive around the block is the best heh
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
for 2, if you have your reverse lights on for say, 10 seconds, and he doesn't move just go around the block.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote