REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Ionized Water and Eczema

Has anyone ever had any experience with ionized water?

I'm starting to get pretty bad eczema, and i heard that alkaline water will work wonders on it

I want to make sure that this will help a little bit before i end up spending a grand on one of these machines

Last edited by vl_86; 03-31-2009 at 11:25 PM.
vl_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i washed my face with it when i stayed at someones house with the machine. Its a nice feeling compare to regular water.

But i highly doubt its worth a grand to get it. And i don't know if it will work for eczema.

How long have you had eczema? i'd say 75%-80% case eczema case are allergy related. Remove allergent = reduce/remove eczema flare up.

A food allergy test to find out what you are allergic to will cost you from 250-350$ . I think its better than spending 1000$ on a machine that does not move your condition towards a cure
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

i've had eczema for about 5-6 years now, when i first started getting it I was working at a restaurant i would get dry skin so bad to the point that when i made a fist my fingers would crack, now that i no longer work at a restaurant it has been pretty much completely gone away from my hands

now i am starting to get it on the inside of my arms and the top of my forehead, it has progressively gotten worse. 1 year it would be a small patch of my arm, next year it would be usually be the same patch + a new patch etc.

For a food allergy test don't you goto a dermatologist? and also wouldn't this usually be covered by the government or some sort of medical plan?'
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

do you have any digestive symptoms like bloating, cramping, gas, constipation/diarrhea..etc?

MSP does not cover these labs, because it is done by independent laboratory. MSP will not pay for the high cost. The only doctors that can refer you out for food allergy is naturopathic doctors.

Anyways, just think about the food that you eat the most and often. Maybe you avoid these foods for a long time, eczema will go away. Lab testing is more accurate and can give you peace in mind identifying the allergents and also rule out food allergy.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
retired

for a general allergy test, your family doctor can refer you to one.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

my doctor got me to use betaderm. been using it for about a month and its been effective so far. give it a try

i know its really cliche, but you are what you eat. try having more fruits and vegatables, water, and stay away from the not so healthy stuff.

and if you have dry skin as well make sure to use a shit load of moisturizer
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
do you have any digestive symptoms like bloating, cramping, gas, constipation/diarrhea..etc?

MSP does not cover these labs, because it is done by independent laboratory. MSP will not pay for the high cost. The only doctors that can refer you out for food allergy is naturopathic doctors.

Anyways, just think about the food that you eat the most and often. Maybe you avoid these foods for a long time, eczema will go away. Lab testing is more accurate and can give you peace in mind identifying the allergents and also rule out food allergy.
well i do get some bloating after i eat..

could you recommend any independent laboratories? i'm thinking about going to those general allergy tests first since i think those should be covered under my medical plan

and if that doesn't work, then the independent laboratories will be next
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #8

general allergy test is "skin prick test", "skin scratch test", very inaccurate, often false-positive results (works best with environmental allergys like molds, grass, weeds, alders...etc).

Proper food allergy test is done through blood serum. It Checks for antigen/antibody reaction against like 90 different types of foods (like milk, beef, pork, eggs..etc). I think you need to find a naturopathic doctor is you want this. You can't just walk into independent lab and ask to be tested. The lab techs are just doing biochemical analysis from the blood sample they received i think. Only a trained naturopathic physician can take your blood sample and send it to the lab for testing.

Try to find a yellowpage? or internet superpages
Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #9

the only known effective medical treatment for eczema is a steroid cream with hydrocortisone.

This will reduce flare ups and redness/itchyness.

But its only symptomatic relief. You will have to use it long term forever if you dont get down to the cause. And side effect for this cream = thinning of your skin. If your skin cracks easily, then using the steroid cream will thin it more, and making it even easier to crack and bleed
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #10

I'v been using this cream for a long time now. Since I was a little kid (now 22) but I don't use it everyday. I use it when I start getting really itchy and it almost instantly stops the itching. Other then that, I try not to use it. I used to have it on my toes but now it's on my hands. Don't have it anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
the only known effective medical treatment for eczema is a steroid cream with hydrocortisone.

This will reduce flare ups and redness/itchyness.

But its only symptomatic relief. You will have to use it long term forever if you dont get down to the cause. And side effect for this cream = thinning of your skin. If your skin cracks easily, then using the steroid cream will thin it more, and making it even easier to crack and bleed
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote