REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
"Known to police"

What exactly does this mean? I often see this expression used for the guys who get gunned down, but I seem to remember someone once saying that anytime your name is placed in the database (as a person who has reported a crime happening to them, as a person who was the victim, etc etc) the police will use this expression.

So I'm curious; I was once mugged and gave a statement, and a police incident once happened at my house. In neither of those cases was I the instigator nor was I charged nor detained nor anything else.

But if something were to happen to me, would it say "The Victim was known to police"? 'cause I think my parents might have a heart attack if it did.
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

My take on that expression is that it means it is a person who has regular (generally negative) dealings with police, ie. frequent offenders, gangsters, people who have mental health issues that are chronically having the police called out, people who have the police called out because of them frequently, etc etc. Not your normal Joe-blow who reports crimes or gets broken into and has files created for that.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Bad guys, crooks, robbers, theives, rapists, drug dealers, gangsters etc...but, because of their rights to "privacy"...we can't say that.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Bad guys, crooks, robbers, theives, rapists, drug dealers, gangsters etc...but, because of their rights to "privacy"...we can't say that.
Would you be 'known to police' for having speeding tickets, parking tickets, minor by-law tickets that have been paid for in the past?
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
TheBacon bros, HAs, Red scorpions, the ICBC top 10 car thieves, repeat swingers thru the revolving doors of our "Legal System" (it sure AIN"T justice) would be considered "known". If you continually attract VTs like rotting roadkill attracts Crows, you might be a "known" ...but only if you end up in Prime for repeated contacts of an unsocial nature, with attached unsocial attitudes. Driving histories are not considered to be as "fatal" a flaw as killing somebody or dealing drugs to school kids. Capish?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
TheBacon bros, HAs, Red scorpions, the ICBC top 10 car thieves, repeat swingers thru the revolving doors of our "Legal System" (it sure AIN"T justice) would be considered "known". If you continually attract VTs like rotting roadkill attracts Crows, you might be a "known" ...but only if you end up in Prime for repeated contacts of an unsocial nature, with attached unsocial attitudes. Driving histories are not considered to be as "fatal" a flaw as killing somebody or dealing drugs to school kids. Capish?
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote