REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   I want to add a 3rd seat to my car, how do I make it legal? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/571323-i-want-add-3rd-seat-my-car-how-do-i-make-legal.html)

CaptFiero 04-07-2009 07:14 PM

I want to add a 3rd seat to my car, how do I make it legal?

Ok before I started writing this thread, it was suppose to be a simple 3 line question and it turned into a paragraph where I not only asked the question, but explained why I wanted to do this and how I was going to do it if I could make it legal. So officers you don't have to read more than the next paragraph, however read on if you want more details.

Ok before I even attempt this I want to go through the proper channels and make sure I can make this legal. Safe I know I can do, Legal depends on bureaucrats and paperwork. My ins papers lists Occupancy as N/A does this mean as long as there are 3 seat belts its legal to have 3 seats?

My wife and I are going to have our first baby. Which on top of other things scares the hell out of me. Anyone that knows me, knows I am a 33 year old kid, that just happens to be pretty good with building things and safety has always played a roll in my builds. Having a baby means no more Fiero road trips, No more V8 Fiero cruising the strips............. However Does it really have too.........

I have seen lots of "Other" cars and trucks start out with front buckets and swap it to a Bench Seat... Now I can't do a bench install in a Fiero, however I think I can do one better. Normal child car seats are held in by nothing more than a seat belt over or through it and an anchor on the top in newer cars.

If I remove the center console, re-locate the ECM to behind the passenger seat, I know I could build steel braces welded to the tub of the car and add in late model truck seat belts for the center, and even Weld in an Anchor just behind the seat. I mean, where is the safest place for a baby in a car, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE, doesn't matter if you get hit, front rear or side, the middle of the car normally does not get touched. Now before anyone says a Fiero is a death trap, go check the National Crash test Ratings. It was seconded only by Volvo for safety in any crash. Front and Rear impact beams, door beams, even the A and B pilers are steel beams. You'll push a Fiero sideways before the door will buckle.

I don't even know who I would talk to in order to get this approved. I have never seen it listed on an MVI to see if a car has too many belts. Never seen a ticket that says you have too many people belted into a car. Actually I think there is a law about having 2 people in one seat belt, but nothing about 3 people on 3 seats each with belts. The new Ultima GTR is a 3 seater sports car. (driver sits in middle, with 2 passengers, one on each side)

Can anyone offer any Serious Honest advice on the legality of such a mode. To top it off, I was tossing the idea of getting an NHRA approved roll cage for the car, with 5 point harnesses. Just the novelty of it, seeing a caged race car with a child seat in the middle would be cool. Let alone the Mini Ricaro style child seat I found. (Fully legal child restraint system)

skidmark 04-07-2009 08:20 PM

The short answer is that you can't do it.

Rules for Seats

johny 04-07-2009 09:38 PM

time to turn that 2 seater in for a mini van!. welcome to no life :D :D

CaptFiero 04-07-2009 09:47 PM

Thanks Skid, Looks like the only way I could get away with it is if I build it as a "kit car" and got it re-badged as a 3 seater kit car. Which would get costly and kill the current value of the car.

Johny, we do have a 7 passenger Mini Van, I just HATE driving it. Its a Chrysler/Dodge Caravan, 3.0L Mitsubishi Overhead Cam motor, with a gasp 3speed Auto. Its that pale blue colour. We have reduced the price down to $1200 for General Public, or $800 for members of RS or Fiero Club. We even put a low gear new trans for better acceleration and an MSD ignition on it. Pics are here, http://captfiero.com/vanforsale

civicyvr 04-07-2009 10:35 PM

And here I was hoping you would sell the fiero. :cry:

Too bad you didn't get the turbo caravan. You wouldn't hate driving it as much. :D

jlenko 04-07-2009 11:09 PM

C'mon Dave... we're all getting old, married, kids, etc... we just need to coordinate the roadtrips a little better.

All our wives with all the kids, dogs, etc in the minivans and SUVs, you know, the 'support vehicles'... then you, me, and all the other guys driving in their lil' hot rods....

CaptFiero 04-08-2009 08:21 AM

I tried to convince her that a 77 Trans Am, or 60's Chevell would make a great family car. She didn't go for it though, LOL. If I can't get the Fiero Legal, we have decided regardless to get a 90's Chevy Blazer. I told her whatever we bought it had to be GM.

Rich Sandor 04-08-2009 11:56 PM

Buy my 968. The rear midget seats are perfect for kids.

You can drop an LSX engine into it and it'll be GM enough. :)

turbo_slug 04-09-2009 12:36 PM

is it legal to add rear seats to a cargo van? this is assuming the manufacturer makes a passenger van version using the same chassis. can one take the rear seats + seatbelts from the junkyard then retrofit it into the cargo van?

underscore 04-10-2009 12:50 AM

that sucks that it can't be done, I was stoked on pics of the Recaro baby seat mounted in there. bonus points if you could've had a removable steering wheel and a fake one that suction cupped to the dash in front of the baby seat :haha: