REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I want to add a 3rd seat to my car, how do I make it legal?

Ok before I started writing this thread, it was suppose to be a simple 3 line question and it turned into a paragraph where I not only asked the question, but explained why I wanted to do this and how I was going to do it if I could make it legal. So officers you don't have to read more than the next paragraph, however read on if you want more details.

Ok before I even attempt this I want to go through the proper channels and make sure I can make this legal. Safe I know I can do, Legal depends on bureaucrats and paperwork. My ins papers lists Occupancy as N/A does this mean as long as there are 3 seat belts its legal to have 3 seats?

My wife and I are going to have our first baby. Which on top of other things scares the hell out of me. Anyone that knows me, knows I am a 33 year old kid, that just happens to be pretty good with building things and safety has always played a roll in my builds. Having a baby means no more Fiero road trips, No more V8 Fiero cruising the strips............. However Does it really have too.........

I have seen lots of "Other" cars and trucks start out with front buckets and swap it to a Bench Seat... Now I can't do a bench install in a Fiero, however I think I can do one better. Normal child car seats are held in by nothing more than a seat belt over or through it and an anchor on the top in newer cars.

If I remove the center console, re-locate the ECM to behind the passenger seat, I know I could build steel braces welded to the tub of the car and add in late model truck seat belts for the center, and even Weld in an Anchor just behind the seat. I mean, where is the safest place for a baby in a car, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE, doesn't matter if you get hit, front rear or side, the middle of the car normally does not get touched. Now before anyone says a Fiero is a death trap, go check the National Crash test Ratings. It was seconded only by Volvo for safety in any crash. Front and Rear impact beams, door beams, even the A and B pilers are steel beams. You'll push a Fiero sideways before the door will buckle.

I don't even know who I would talk to in order to get this approved. I have never seen it listed on an MVI to see if a car has too many belts. Never seen a ticket that says you have too many people belted into a car. Actually I think there is a law about having 2 people in one seat belt, but nothing about 3 people on 3 seats each with belts. The new Ultima GTR is a 3 seater sports car. (driver sits in middle, with 2 passengers, one on each side)

Can anyone offer any Serious Honest advice on the legality of such a mode. To top it off, I was tossing the idea of getting an NHRA approved roll cage for the car, with 5 point harnesses. Just the novelty of it, seeing a caged race car with a child seat in the middle would be cool. Let alone the Mini Ricaro style child seat I found. (Fully legal child restraint system)
Advertisement
CaptFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

The short answer is that you can't do it.

Rules for Seats

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

time to turn that 2 seater in for a mini van!. welcome to no life
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

Thanks Skid, Looks like the only way I could get away with it is if I build it as a "kit car" and got it re-badged as a 3 seater kit car. Which would get costly and kill the current value of the car.

Johny, we do have a 7 passenger Mini Van, I just HATE driving it. Its a Chrysler/Dodge Caravan, 3.0L Mitsubishi Overhead Cam motor, with a gasp 3speed Auto. Its that pale blue colour. We have reduced the price down to $1200 for General Public, or $800 for members of RS or Fiero Club. We even put a low gear new trans for better acceleration and an MSD ignition on it. Pics are here, http://captfiero.com/vanforsale
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

And here I was hoping you would sell the fiero.

Too bad you didn't get the turbo caravan. You wouldn't hate driving it as much.
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

C'mon Dave... we're all getting old, married, kids, etc... we just need to coordinate the roadtrips a little better.

All our wives with all the kids, dogs, etc in the minivans and SUVs, you know, the 'support vehicles'... then you, me, and all the other guys driving in their lil' hot rods....
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #7

I tried to convince her that a 77 Trans Am, or 60's Chevell would make a great family car. She didn't go for it though, LOL. If I can't get the Fiero Legal, we have decided regardless to get a 90's Chevy Blazer. I told her whatever we bought it had to be GM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
racing & tech mod.

Buy my 968. The rear midget seats are perfect for kids.

You can drop an LSX engine into it and it'll be GM enough.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

is it legal to add rear seats to a cargo van? this is assuming the manufacturer makes a passenger van version using the same chassis. can one take the rear seats + seatbelts from the junkyard then retrofit it into the cargo van?
turbo_slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
that sucks that it can't be done, I was stoked on pics of the Recaro baby seat mounted in there. bonus points if you could've had a removable steering wheel and a fake one that suction cupped to the dash in front of the baby seat
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote