REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   workout but no weight gain? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/571489-workout-but-no-weight-gain.html)

bobyu 04-08-2009 10:07 PM

workout but no weight gain?

Hey guys... im just curious...I have been working around 9 months now..I would say that i go to gym consistently through the whole time but not everyday. (average 3 times a week) and I started drinking protein around 4 months ago. Is it normal for me not to gain any weight at all? Im around 152-155 lbs now.
I really want to reach over 160. Is there anyway beside eating lots and drink weight gainer drink? Or i have to go to gym like everyday:confused:

BlackV62K2 04-08-2009 10:17 PM

Not really. It's all about taking a surplus of calories and carbs to gain weight/mass. How you want to get those calories is up to you. Best to get it from foods but a weight gainer supplement can help too.

jakobi 04-09-2009 06:04 AM

lol you can have the perfect workout but without the PROPER diet, you can't grow, PERIOD.....

in order to do well...whatever it is...getting big, getting stronger, etc...its about consistency and determination

pawdregry4g 04-09-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 (Post 6371567)
Not really. It's all about taking a surplus of calories and carbs to gain weight/mass. How you want to get those calories is up to you. Best to get it from foods but a weight gainer supplement can help too.

I agree with what Blackv6 is saying.
Your situation is normal, the average person who begins resistance training typically maintains the same weight, but finds gains in: lean tissue, decreased body fat, bone density, and ligament and tendon strength.

Considering you've been training for a decent amount of time, you should have already gained a bit of muscle mass. This increase in lean tissue would increase your body's energy expenditure and from what I'm seeing, it looks like you already have quite a high natural metabolism. Most people manage to get their daily requirements of protein through their diets, so since you're on the supplement, it's safe to say protein isn't an issue here. Increase your caloric intake and offset the energy balance.:thumbsup:

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-09-2009 07:35 AM

i bet you're not eating enough.

hal0g0dv2 04-09-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 6371977)
i bet you're not eating enough.

word

Stevie P 04-09-2009 08:25 AM

Eat and sleep more.

Durrann1984 04-09-2009 11:18 AM

eat more meals
and lotsa protein.

civicyvr 04-09-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawdregry4g (Post 6371940)
I agree with what Blackv6 is saying.
Your situation is normal, the average person who begins resistance training typically maintains the same weight, but finds gains in: lean tissue, decreased body fat, bone density, and ligament and tendon strength.

Considering you've been training for a decent amount of time, you should have already gained a bit of muscle mass. This increase in lean tissue would increase your body's energy expenditure and from what I'm seeing, it looks like you already have quite a high natural metabolism. Most people manage to get their daily requirements of protein through their diets, so since you're on the supplement, it's safe to say protein isn't an issue here. Increase your caloric intake and offset the energy balance.:thumbsup:

^Agree. If you are drinking protein shakes but not taking in enough calories then your body just burns it off. No way to gain your 5 - 8 lbs without eating more if you are already working out.

Alpine50 04-09-2009 09:31 PM

eat more food lol
i know you probably here it from everyone but its true

Volvo-brickster 04-09-2009 09:41 PM

how tall are you ?

hal0g0dv2 04-10-2009 06:01 PM

eat and one more thing eat

racerman88 04-12-2009 11:06 AM

lift heavy with good form and increase your protein intake.

98twofourty 04-17-2009 10:12 PM

Its all about protien intake, eat more calories, healthy calories then u burn in a day and you WILL see gains, recenty i just started a decent meal and workout program and in 3 weeks have gained 5 pounds and believe me its all muscle. ive been working out for about 2 months but only once i started eating like crazy did i see any real gains as opposed to just getting more toned.

BlackV62K2 04-18-2009 12:00 AM

Protein is one thing but you still need good complex carbs and calories.

blkgsr 04-22-2009 06:58 PM

which would be??

i'm sort of in the same boat

been back hard at the gym for about a month....(used to go hard a couple years ago)

i'm 6'1" and 174lbs.....my strength and endurance have increased since i've started again and i've definetly noticed physically that i'm gaining "size" but not weight, only assume i'm turing fat to muscle

my normal mornings were a fruit shake and a couple pieces of bread as i ran out the door(yes i know not nearly enough).....eat a "good" lunch (always out) and then hit the gym after work (always hungry when i start)

today i got my ass out of bed and eat a better breakfast (2 bowls of oatmeal and toast), had a decent lunch agan and wow what a difference it made at the gym

so my plan is to continue with the larger breakfasts, but what else can i do to make sure i've got energy for the gym?

eat a protein bar 30mins before i go?

should i be taking protein in the morning or save it for after the gym? what kind of protein? whey etc etc?

my goal is to gain muscle mass and weight, i would also like to keep faily "cut" but sitting on my ass all day at work doesn't really help that

DavidNguyen 04-22-2009 09:10 PM

silly. you cant turn FAT into MUSCLE.
you can BURN Fat though

BlackV62K2 04-22-2009 09:24 PM

I'm currently still bulking. Here are my meals for the day:

- Breakfast: - 2 eggs + toast or 1 cup of oats + milk
- Protein shake in between breakfast and lunch
- Lunch: Usually a sandwich (grilled chicken or tuna) with veggies
- Dinner: Some carbs (rice, pototoes) + meat (chicken or pork, rarely beef) + veggies
- After the gym: Weight gainer shake + a small meal (with some sort of complex carbs)
- In between gym and bed: A small snack (like fruits, yogurt or something healthy)
- Protein shake before bed if I haven't gotten my protein needs for the day

I don't recommend trying to bulk/cut @ the same time. You are really working against each other if you do that. Bulk first (calorie surplus) and cut after once you're happy with your weight/size (calorie deficit). Light cardio is fine for bulking phase. I do it twice a week for 20 mins.

pawdregry4g 04-22-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkgsr (Post 6393180)
which would be??

so my plan is to continue with the larger breakfasts, but what else can i do to make sure i've got energy for the gym?

eat a protein bar 30mins before i go?

should i be taking protein in the morning or save it for after the gym? what kind of protein? whey etc etc?

my goal is to gain muscle mass and weight, i would also like to keep faily "cut" but sitting on my ass all day at work doesn't really help that

In terms of having energy for the gym, that protein bar isn't exactly what you need. Energy for muscular work and exercise comes primarily from fat and carbohydrates. If you're also integrating cardiovascular exercise, take into consideration that as the intensity of the exercise increases, a greater percentage of energy will be derived from the carbohydrates. This being said, protein intake after the workout would be the preferred choice considering it's role will primarily be for recovery, necessary body functions, and muscle growth.

blkgsr 04-22-2009 09:32 PM

ok so really i just left to eating more earlier in the day? how else can i prep for the gym?

BlackV62K2 04-22-2009 09:35 PM

Have some caffine if you're feeling tired before hitting the gym.

pawdregry4g 04-22-2009 10:15 PM

Keep to what you're doing, and put in small snacks in between your meals ie. granola bars. As long as you're not feeling shitty going into the workout, you should be in good form.

Gt-R R34 04-22-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie P (Post 6372021)
Eat and sleep more.

the sleep part is super important.

blkgsr 04-23-2009 08:18 AM

i don't drink coffee and would rather not resort to energy drinks to get a boost for the gym

sleep is definetly one thing i need to improve on (for a couple of reasons) but ya i know it's important for good health