REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
15-20% after tax is pretty standard, minmum $5. If the service was really really bad (to the point where I left feeling pissed off) I'd just round up to the nearest $5 Increment. so if it was $33 I'd round to $35 and they'd only get a couple bucks, fuck em.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #52
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i would say a couple bucks for bad service is being very generous
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #53
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

always tipped after tax. 10% pretty standard for me.
but have left exact amount in change at a boston pizza.

but really, you tip more good for you, you tip less good for you.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #54
Need to Seek Professional Help

For those people who say that serving tables is easy they need to open their eyes and take their heads out of their ass.

I would also say that they have probably never dined anywhere good enough to appreciate the difference from an ok server to a great server. Get out of Sammy Js and Cactus and try a real restaurant.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Main purpose of dining out is to eat food, not to appreciate the servers. I would much rather pay more for excellent food with an ok server rather than ok food with excellent server. But i know not everyone feels the same way as I do.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #56
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Main purpose of dining out is to eat food, not to appreciate the servers. I would much rather pay more for excellent food with an ok server rather than ok food with excellent server. But i know not everyone feels the same way as I do.
+ 1 on this one.

I went out to eat, not to get served like a king. If i want to be served like a king i would hire a maid or a bitch.

AS long as my food comes out delicious and made from poin A to point B, i really dont give a flying fuck
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #57
How I Mod your mother

Totally depends on the service, if its bad, I'll tip 10%.
If its good, I'll tip 15%. Its sad that some waitors/waitresses think that a tip is mandatory.

THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR IT. Why should I be giving them my hard earned money if they provided shitty service?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #58

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
My tip for average service is 10-15%.

I've given up to 30% a couple times when the service was absolutely outstanding, and I've given nothing for terrible service. If the service is bad, why tip anything at all? Doesn't that mean you're still rewarding bad service?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #59
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

It's true that tips aren't mandatory. But speaking from the POV as a server, it is not a job that anyone can do WELL. I have to say that I'm a good server, always friendly and smiling even when I'm pissed off. I apologize for things that aren't my fault, make good recommendations and I'm efficient and speedy. I don't mind if people tip 10%, which happens from time to time (most of the time I get 15 - 20%), but it really annoys me when people don't tip at all! What most people don't realize is that servers have to pay a certain % of their bills to the kitchen and restaurant. Why should good servers have to take money out of their own pockets to serve you?

If you feel like the service is shitty, fine. Don't tip. But if you feel like you don't want to tip because you feel that the restaurants should be paying their servers more, I think you're just making an excuse to be cheap. It's not going to change just because YOU don't tip.

Also, for the people who get all annoyed and angry when there's a % tip charged onto the bill for large parties: The reason for this is that when large parties dine out, many people leave early, or "forget" to add on their tax/tip and servers end up being shorted on their tip.

P.S. It's not your server's fault if the food tastes like ass.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
how do you tip a pizza delivery guy? do you tip at all?
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #61
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
What most people don't realize is that servers have to pay a certain % of their bills to the kitchen and restaurant. Why should good servers have to take money out of their own pockets to serve you?
I think you're wording your argument to twist the bias to your benefit.

You don't HAVE to pay the kitchen anything, If I'm correct. From what i recall from restaurants, it's servers and kitchen staff pool all the tips together and everything is appropriated from that.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #62
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

The MAXIMUM i tip is 10% to the amount before tax. NO EXCEPTIONS!

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I think you're wording your argument to twist the bias to your benefit.

You don't HAVE to pay the kitchen anything, If I'm correct. From what i recall from restaurants, it's servers and kitchen staff pool all the tips together and everything is appropriated from that.
Yes.

It would be ILLEGAL for the restaurant to dock a server's base wage for anything. So no, they should not be paying anything "out of their own pocket".
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

What is that % that gets sent to the kitchen - for those establishments that uses that practice?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #65
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
What is that % that gets sent to the kitchen - for those establishments that uses that practice?
It varies from 1% - 2% of the servers revenue, so I'm told.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yes.

It would be ILLEGAL for the restaurant to dock a server's base wage for anything. So no, they should not be paying anything "out of their own pocket".
False.

Servers deal with money completely by themselves. They serve as their own til. As such, they are the only ones who have access to that money. If during cash out time they are short, the restaurant will dock the money from their pay cheque.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
False.

Servers deal with money completely by themselves. They serve as their own til. As such, they are the only ones who have access to that money. If during cash out time they are short, the restaurant will dock the money from their pay cheque.
Exactly. (At least at most white restaurants).

I personally have never had to literally take money out of my wallet to tip out. However, every time that someone does not tip, I am having to cover that amount with the tips that I earned from another table.

I'm not trying to argue that all servers deserve to be tipped. I just think that servers who give good service shouldn't have to pay to serve. It's not always a pleasant job.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #68

Quote:
It varies from 1% - 2% of the servers revenue, so I'm told.
I believe it goes anywhere from 2 - 6% ish.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #69
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
I tip 10% mostly, unless the service is REALLY bad then I leave whatever change I got(usually a lot less then 10%)

If the service is really good then 12-15% at most, but 10% is the norm or at least for me lol
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Exactly. (At least at most white restaurants).
Not exactly.

Tipping out to kitchen staff and busers is not mandatory, according to the law. However, I'd assume that a restaurant which runs such a policy will probably stop giving you shifts if you didn't.

Not to mention, the kitchen staff will probably not be as quick with your orders.

And then you get people labeling you as a cheap ass when you tipped out but less than what is considered customary for your restaurant (or in some cases, if you had a good day)
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #71

Quote:
False.

When I worked for Canadian Tire way back when, all the cashiers held their own floats. At the end of the day, they NEVER had their pay deducted if they were short at the end of the day.

Sounds like someone needs to show those restaurants the Employment Standards act:

Deductions
21 (1) Except as permitted or required by this Act or any other enactment of British Columbia or Canada, an employer must not, directly or indirectly, withhold, deduct or require payment of all or part of an employee's wages for any purpose.

(2) An employer must not require an employee to pay any of the employer's business costs except as permitted by the regulations.

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #72

Like I said, I've never had wages actually docked from my paycheque. However, money from my tip pool are being docked everytime that someone leaves without a tip.

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket? It's hard earned cash and I have to pay out a portion of it just because someone else didn't tip.

Tipping out may not be mandatory by law, but, yes, as misteranswer said. It pretty much is.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Like I said, I've never had wages actually docked from my paycheque. However, money from my tip pool are being docked everytime that someone leaves without a tip.

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket?
I was not referring to tip pool. I was referring to paycheque. Misteranswer stated that a restaurant may dock an employee's paycheque for money that is "short", when Legally they cannot do this.

I called False on his false.

Tip pools are completely different. They are set up by agreements between staff & ownership, usually explained at start of employment. Some restaurants do not have tip pools. Either way, they cannot impact base wage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #74
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket? It's hard earned cash and I have to pay out a portion of it just because someone else didn't tip.

Tipping out may not be mandatory by law, but, yes, as misteranswer said. It pretty much is.
So basically you're saying: The kitchen should not be entitled to a portion of your tip as it will reduce your overall gain?

Haha.

Though not exactly enforceable by law, but I'd bet the custom of sharing portions with the kitchen was primarly borne out of courtesy. You know... Kinda like the custom of tipping.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
So basically you're saying: The kitchen should not be entitled to a portion of your tip as it will reduce your overall gain?

Haha.

Though not exactly enforceable by law, but I'd bet the custom of sharing portions with the kitchen was primarly borne out of courtesy. You know... Kinda like the custom of tipping.
That is far from what I meant. I don't mind tipping out to the kitchen. In fact, I often tip them more than I am required to because I'm thankful that they're making my job easier. So, no.

The kitchen deserves the tip. I just don't feel like I deserve to have my cash taken away from me to serve a customer.

Edit: It's never a large amount, mind you, but it's the principal of the matter.