REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
[Confidential] Defaulting to 'robot mode' and won't emotionally open up

The following is an Anonymous submission from a Revscene member. If the OP would like to respond to anything said in this thread, please PM me.

This has been bothering me for a while. I want to know if anyone is like this and what you think could be the root of it so I can decide how to do something about it

Everytime I get past the chase I feel as thought I'm being forced to take certain steps into relationships, as if I'm following a script. I generally start to feel this way after the first dates. I feel completely inauthentic, and the worst part is that the girls can't seem to tell. I go through all the motions of what someone's supposed to do and say. Girls rarely do anything that surprises me or catches me off guard.

When it's getting physical sometimes I feel bored. When making out my eyes are always open. When Im having sex I feel like Im watching myself do it in 3rd person. Overall it's unsatisfying.

Now up until the whole dating->relationship thing starts, everything is fine. I enjoy the chase and can get really into it, but when I succeed in getting them I go into robot mode.

All of this is really unpleasant. It affects my relationships. They usually don't last long and I usually break it off. Then I feel better being alone for a while until logic reminds me that I actually am really looking to be with someone. And the cycle continues.

maybe Im not picking girls that are actually interesting to me. Sometimes I go for girls because its the person i feel i 'should' be going for for XYZ reason, and I can convince myself during the chase. But after that my heart is just not into these people. I rarely find a girl that totally clicks for me but i got past the whole thing about looking for the flawless person a long time ago.

insight?

El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
No suggestions,

but my insight to this is that it's almost like playing a captivating video game.
This is going to be long, because I can relate to this. I've gone through something very similar myself (only difference being, I'm not actively looking for that somebody).

In the early levels of the game, you feel the need to continue to the next stage to unlock an achievement, or level up to learn a new skill, or recruit a new character or buy that new item that you would ultimately bring to the final stages of the game. You never know when the main character will receive his promotion, or when you will be granted access to the weapon that you could only see the silhouette of, or when the main character's father would suddenly be murdered by the villain. Everything is fascinating because it's so refreshing.
Spoiler!

You don't find the replay value in this game as fascinating as the original play. But you DO find it fascinating to a certain extent. Once you beat the game for the first time; twice; three times; you start questioning yourself why you're still playing this game.
You question this, but all you know is that you still like playing it over and over again, from beginning to end. You also know that you're beginning to internalize all the aspects of this game that made it so interesting to you to begin with. This is why you're getting bored.
You want to play it because it's an interesting game that offers many modes of playing (difficulty, class, heroes, story lines, whatever); but NOTHING surprises you much anymore because the structure is skeletal. You know everything: from the traps to the shortcuts to the snags to the untimely plot twist.
Spoiler!

You don't know it, but subconsciously, you continue play the same game because you keep telling yourself: "Next time around, I'm going to try a new class and level; or try to unlock new game sequences; or try using a new hero; or try to learn more combos; or try to unlock all cutscenes and CG's, etc."
Spoiler!

A bit of a long read, I apologize for that.
But I tried to break it down psychologically for you. It might contain some insights for you.

-Physixx

Last edited by Culture_Vulture; 04-10-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: structure/grammar
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

i feel the exact same way. sometimes i think its the way i started that i s effecting my relationships with women in the future but what can you really do. you'll either change or you will keep repeating this same things.

im seeing this less attractive but super smart chick in an attempt to to get out of the same cycle but its the same shit. you get them to start to like them and put out and then you dont really care so much anymore. theres only so much you can do until you meet some chick that forces you out of that cycle.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

maybe your gay and you havnt realised it yet?
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Personally, I just don't think you've met someone you truly liked yet. Have you always been dating the same type of girls? Can you actually hold conversations with the girls you date? Have fun with them?
I know what you mean by opening your eyes when you make out, I've done that before too! Haha.. and I thought I was the robot one. I then realized that I was not emotionally into the guy at all.. It's really shitty to have that over and over again dude.. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd hate to kiss that guy again because it does absolutely nothing for me and I get bored. I thought I had a problem too but then I met a guy that I really did like, and not once did I ever get bored like that. Just makes me want to close my eyes and enjoy the moment.
But before him, I was exactly like you..but girl version I guess. Nothing ever excites me and once I get the guy to like me, I start getting uninterested.
That someone will come to you.. Plus, if you're always with those other girls..How would the right one come to you? You can't get yourself interested in something that you're JUST NOT. Maybe look for someone that's not looking for a relationship? You shouldn't have to convince yourself to be in a relationship.. If you can't enjoy (have to try to enjoy) being with the other person emotionally and physically then there really is no point is there?.. esp. if it's unpleasant.
I dont think there is really nothing you can do about this...
I know this is all "the right person will come along".. but it's true haha.
acyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I`m identical to you whoever you are poster. I could have written word for the word the same stuff.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

haha holy shit that was epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physixx View Post
No suggestions,

but my insight to this is that it's almost like playing a captivating video game.
This is going to be long, because I can relate to this. I've gone through something very similar myself (only difference being, I'm not actively looking for that somebody).

In the early levels of the game, you feel the need to continue to the next stage to unlock an achievement, or level up to learn a new skill, or recruit a new character or buy that new item that you would ultimately bring to the final stages of the game. You never know when the main character will receive his promotion, or when you will be granted access to the weapon that you could only see the silhouette of, or when the main character's father would suddenly be murdered by the villain. Everything is fascinating because it's so refreshing.
Spoiler!

You don't find the replay value in this game as fascinating as the original play. But you DO find it fascinating to a certain extent. Once you beat the game for the first time; twice; three times; you start questioning yourself why you're still playing this game.
You question this, but all you know is that you still like playing it over and over again, from beginning to end. You also know that you're beginning to internalize all the aspects of this game that made it so interesting to you to begin with. This is why you're getting bored.
You want to play it because it's an interesting game that offers many modes of playing (difficulty, class, heroes, story lines, whatever); but NOTHING surprises you much anymore because the structure is skeletal. You know everything: from the traps to the shortcuts to the snags to the untimely plot twist.
Spoiler!

You don't know it, but subconsciously, you continue play the same game because you keep telling yourself: "Next time around, I'm going to try a new class and level; or try to unlock new game sequences; or try using a new hero; or try to learn more combos; or try to unlock all cutscenes and CG's, etc."
Spoiler!

A bit of a long read, I apologize for that.
But I tried to break it down psychologically for you. It might contain some insights for you.

-Physixx
fullyentranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Haha.

I completely felt the same way in my early to mid 20's. Keep going through the cycles. There's nothing wrong with that.

But seriously, there will be one or a few that will start affecting you differently eventually. But the reasons will vary or be a combination of many variables.

*** Over time, you change
*** Over time, your priorities change
*** As you get older, the girls you meet get older
*** As you get older, the girls will be different

etc. etc.

Seriously man. When I was in my early to mid 20's, my main social ambition was to remain a bachelor til 40. Things change man. It's just a matter of when; and that's very subjective as it will differ for everyone.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

you like the climb but dislike whats on top
you enjoy watching sex for stimulation... the process may not please you as much
relations and no emotions

you have a formula to be a player... always chasing
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Director of RS Cares

i think you're in that phase in your life where you're not looking for a partner in life but just wanting to date and get to know the different types of woman.

which is fine because the more you date around the more you will start to understand yourself in terms of what you want in a woman and what you don't want. thus far, you have lost interest probably because you haven't met someone who really inspires you and makes you want to continue something on since each time the girl only possesses a few qualities you would want in ONE whole person.

never settle when it comes to "love" or a relationship that is just average. the BEST is what you want!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Upon reading other replies,

I think a lot of posters are right.
I think maybe you just haven't found what you want yet. Maybe you're still testing waters to see what's good and what's not.

My friends all tell me that some day I'm going to meet a girl and she's gonna have me head over heels or even spin me into an emotional breakdown. They tell me this because for the longest time, they've only seen me having fun and meeting different people. I have zero commitment to settle down right now (okay, maybe 10% commitment 90% having fun); because I just can't seem to find somebody "worthy" of my time and commitment. And in the few cases that I actually do get into a relationships, I make it clear to everybody (yes, even to her), that I'm not actually looking for a long-term commitment: just somebody who can give me emotion rapport when I need it, and a place to stay and recharge my batteries when I don't feel like going home.

Horrible mentality, I know.

Now all that is irrelevant to the OP for the most part,
but I think maybe the OP just hasn't found the girl that would make his socks roll up and down.

-Physixx
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

taking a wild guess and stating that none of these girls are great looking and/ nor good in bed
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

dude.. its like the movie click.. u just fast forward though all the usual actions . . .
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
VLS Pet Forum Mod

To the OP, you said you feel like it becomes robotic. Your emotionally detached. to me it sounds like you get bored as all your doing is staying on the surface of a relationship. You are not delving deeper and as such the surface level gets boring. It be like floating on the top of the water for ages, and never diving deeper to see the colorful fish and coral.
Here's a suggestion. Step back from dating. Look into ways of opening yourself up a little to people. Then when you get better at it and more comfortable go out and put yourself back into the dating/relationship world.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

u like the thrill of chasing but after u get it no more challenge therefore u lose interest and want to move on; in another word when u dun have u want it, when u have it u dun want it anymore...i believe this is ur case if im not mistaken, eventually one day u will chase a girl and she would not let u chase her and will break ur heart so bad u'll cry, serious...LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was the same as you at one point until I told myself I don't wanna be a person who likes the chase. The next time you succeed your climb or whatever just try and stick with it for a while. Surely, you'll have a different outlook once you pass the robotic stage.
sexyflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

dear friend, you are basically disconnected with your emotions, it's time to shut down your brain/logic and start listen to your heart/feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
dear friend, you are basically disconnected with your emotions, it's time to shut down your brain/logic and start listen to your heart/feelings.
I miss being disconnected with my emotions.
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
無敵

This happens to a lot of people. At some point it becomes a routine and you no longer really care. You just play your role and repeat the same thing day after day until you can't take it anymore. You're either not with the right person or you need to take some time off from dating and think about what you are looking for.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #20
I don't get it either

I'm guessing your relationships are rather short(less than 4 months). If you can just stay in it for say several more months and you will start becoming less robotic. It takes time to become emotionally attached to someone.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
The following is a reply from the Anonymous Revscene member

I've read through the replies everyone has posted carefully and thoughtfully. I really appreciate the input and this thread has actually helped me gain a bit of perspective.
There are 2 things going on - I am not giving myself enough time to get past that phase. I feel like i've been a bit self-indulgent in my chase-then-bounce routine. As soon as it gets robotic, I bail too fast. Secondly, as some of you have mentioned, I think I may have been having difficulty finding a girl im actually really into - I'll keep that in mind instead of getting too upset. Glad to hear there are others here who have similar experiences to me.

thanks!
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote