REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Is a battery cutoff switch really required at Mission Raceway?

Not sure where to post this, i couldnt find a forum dedicated to "Drag racing" Unless im totally blind lol

Just curious how picky the techs are at mission raceway? My battery is relocated to the trunk, so by the rules it says i must run a cutoff switch at the rear most part of my car. The car is a daily driver, so im curious if this is mostly for guys running like 11s and lower, or does this rule apply to everyone?

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement

My Buy/Sell Rating (5-0-0)
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Rule applies to everyone bud. You have until mid may to sort it out though as mission will be closed until then.

Berz out.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
well i have seen cars that go thru tech in 2 minutes flat, and i have seen others that take 10+ minutes

maybe you will get a lazy guy who may "over look " it ?

really dont know

cause ive seen TONS cars well before 1995 running straight coolant when they should have been running water

i passed tech with crap in the backseat and they didnt say anything about it, although i had to convince the guy i wasn't going to run a 13.99 or better because i didnt have a helmet
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
As already answered, you need the cut off switch. Also, if it's a hatchback, you're required to have the battery in a sealed, vented box.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #5

The cut off switch needs to shut down the alternator as well as the battery correct? Because if you just have a battery cutoff switch and the car is running, it will keep running even if the battery is shut off.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

they seriously don't check almost any thing, i've gone the last 2 years a few times and they don't even look at any thing ..just say its basically a stock car or w/e like intake/ exhaust or osmething and they don't bother u
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
if you piss coolant all over the track, do not expect a friendly welcome in the pits.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

Ill drain the coolant, thats not a problem at all, and i think im gonna install a cutoff switch too cause the car is far from stock, the big front mount intercooler kinda gives it away. Just gotta figure out how to shut off the alternator too

Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You'll need to run two cables from the front to the rear of the car...

#1 - from the alternator back to the battery (on the battery side of the switch), and

#2 - from the switch up to the point where your factory battery used to connect (on the "kill" side of the switch)... This connects to your starter, and the fuse panel (minus the output from your alternator).

So when you turn off the switch, your battery and alternator output are disconnected from the car.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

the best part about cut off switches, is now your alarm can be turned off from outside the car by anyone!.. yah.

so I would run an alarm wire back to the battery bypassing the switch.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Ok sorta short answer, put a bridge between your 2 lugs on your cutoff switch with a 20amp fuse. It will allow enough power to flow through to keep the alarm/stereo and ECM programed, but not enough current that the car will start. If an attempt to start the car is made with the cutoff in the OFF position, it'll simply pop the fuse and the car will go black. No way they can steal the car. If they are there to simply steal your stereo they are not going to be trying to start the car and your alarm will go on and on and on. If they are there to steal your car, they'll try to start it the car will go black and it won't be able to be driven. You will want to wire your fuel pump into that 20amp circuit, so even if they go back and turn the power on, the fuse will still be burnt and the car won't go anyplace.

Longer Version Below

Uhm, not too sound rude, but you don't have to run a separate wire for the alarm, you run a small gauge like 10 gauge wire with 20amp fuse that bridges the cut off switch, so even when it is off, it still feeds enough power through the system to keep the ECM alive, saves all your stereo pre-sets and keeps the electronics happy. However if the switch is OFF and someone tries to start the car, it'll pop the fuse and car will go dead. Then they try and turn the power back on, and the alarm goes nuts. I just got a really nice cut off switch where knob can be removed like a key, you turn the main power off and remove the key and walk away. Car can't be started but it will leave enough power to keep everything working correctly.

Only thing wrong with the cut off switch I bought. Mission requires that the cutoff must be ALL METAL, and is metal plate, but the key is a poly carbonate stuff. Kinda like plastic but harder.
CaptFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFiero View Post
Mission requires that the cutoff must be ALL METAL, and is metal plate, but the key is a poly carbonate stuff. Kinda like plastic but harder.
hmmm didn't know that.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote