REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   How am i doing? Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, fatloss, food, supplements (https://www.revscene.net/forums/572540-how-am-i-doing-powerlifting-bodybuilding-fatloss-food-supplements.html)

Mr Colt 04-17-2009 12:23 PM

How am i doing? Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, fatloss, food, supplements

So i've been hitting the gym pretty hard and often for over two months now, im in a starters powerlifting program sets of 5x8 5x5 and 3x10 for assists. (is a count down set useful 12-10-8-6?)
i do enjoy the fact i am getting good strength gains, and my mussels are tightening up, however if i were to guess this isnt the best or fastest way to obtain a muscular figure. So since the summer is just around the corner i thought maybe i should switch to focus on my looks more then my strength for a while. Also tempted to try a harsher fatloss supplement like lipo6 or something when my time is running out.

I Eat like a body builder i think, lots protein shakes (isolate) and veggies, some carbs but not alot, mostly cerial, fruit, juice, milk, peanut butter(not a lot) eggs lean chicken, sushi(twice a week at most)

also its my main goal to lose that last 10lbs of fat before summer, i started last week by adding CLA supplement with my meals, and a fat burner Athena by Revaluation (woman's supplement) but i have told it dosnt really matter for now i will give these two some time to see if it helps.

45 Thermobolic Formula (750mg) Green Tea Extract (50% Polyphenols)* L-Tyrosine* Caffeine Anhydrous* Citrus Aurantium (30% Synephrine)* Evodiamine* Insulin Regulator Complex (191mg) Coleus Forskohlii* Lagerstromia Speciose* Magnesium Stearate* 5 �HTP* Pyroxidine HCL* Chromium Picolinate* 3.5 Diido-L-Tyrosine* Other Ingredients: Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid), Silicone Dioxide.

I do cardo, High Interval Training that is, 20-25 mins a day, on an eliptica 1min bursts with 2-3 min rest and repeat.

I do take rest days also every 3-4 days

Quesionts: to keep my power lifting could i use the same exercises but up the reps and maybe cut down the weight a little? so like squat 5x10-12 instead of 5x5 or bench 5x10-12 instead of 5x8 ? and shorten my time between sets to like 1-2min max instead of 2-4?

And any other fat burn ideas i should change to get the fat burn faster would be great, i was 250lbs(fat) 5'10" and diet alone knocked me down to 185,(last summer i hit 173 for a week then i was gaing it back quickly) i am 190 now but gained more muscle.

RayBot 04-17-2009 02:25 PM

Massive weight loss!! Thats wicked...

Seems more like you're the one here to give advice, not ask for it!!

RacePace 04-17-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6384338)
Quesionts: to keep my power lifting could i use the same exercises but up the reps and maybe cut down the weight a little? so like squat 5x10-12 instead of 5x5 or bench 5x10-12 instead of 5x8 ? and shorten my time between sets to like 1-2min max instead of 2-4?

And any other fat burn ideas i should change to get the fat burn faster would be great, i was 250lbs(fat) 5'10" and diet alone knocked me down to 185,(last summer i hit 173 for a week then i was gaing it back quickly) i am 190 now but gained more muscle.

For the powerlifting exercises such as the big three I'd probably stick to lower reps and higher weight since you are using more muscles to lift heavier weight and thus using more energy. Shorten the time between sets and begin to cut down a bit more on your diet. But don't expect to make many strength gains while you cut down on diet.

If you want to do anything to get abs, I swear by doing Bikram's yoga, 2 months (on top of workouts though) and you'll have it. It's expensive, but if you stop buying most of your supplements, it'll pay for it right there

Mr Colt 04-17-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6384476)
Massive weight loss!! Thats wicked...

Seems more like you're the one here to give advice, not ask for it!!

Thanks, honestly tho the first 50-70lbs just fall off with just a bit of diet change, but i think i went bit far and lowerd my metabolism.

as for abs, i have em, that is they are rock solid when i flex them under my gut. and in order to front squat 200lbs ya need em.
as for my power lifting sets they are technically high, but thats just because its aimed at a beginner. 2 nights ago i dead lifted 280x5 then 300x5 last month my deadlift max was 260x1 ( the thicket part of my quads is 25" around and no fat on them at all)

And again i like strength and in the long run value it far more then looks (id rather a rusty 1980 Volkswagen with 1000hp then a Corvette with only 100hp) however, girls kinda care less and i want to feel good about how i look physicly, so i some how must burn off this gut in then next few months.

abinga 04-17-2009 06:20 PM

Looks to me like you need to make a decision as to what you want to accomplish more. If you are looking to build up your strength and mass, then power lifting is a good way to gain. But you will have to dump the HIIT training and the idea of taking a fat burner. HIIT training will take away from muscle mass development. If you want to focus on looks then you should adjust your training to higher reps at a lighter weight, low impact cardio(so you don't burn off as much muscle), fat burner and a cutting diet. Something like the Dave Palumbo ketone diet will do wonders for you. If you want me to paste the diet and article then just say so. Otherwise, good luck on what you decide.

Mr Colt 04-17-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBite (Post 6384770)
Looks to me like you need to make a decision as to what you want to accomplish more. If you are looking to build up your strength and mass, then power lifting is a good way to gain. But you will have to dump the HIIT training and the idea of taking a fat burner. HIIT training will take away from muscle mass development. If you want to focus on looks then you should adjust your training to higher reps at a lighter weight, low impact cardio(so you don't burn off as much muscle), fat burner and a cutting diet. Something like the Dave Palumbo ketone diet will do wonders for you. If you want me to paste the diet and article then just say so. Otherwise, good luck on what you decide.

The diet is always good to look at, but from the research i have done on HIIT it promotes Anaerobic exercise (power and mass), and can burn x9 more fat then steady state cardio. think of a power sprinter vs a marathon runner, whos bigger? sprinter right? atleast, thats what i have read.

abinga 04-17-2009 08:51 PM

I work with HIIT training first hand and does help define the body very well. But it also can interrupt muscle growth if done on a higher scale. I don't consider 1min bursts with 2-3 min rest and repeat to really effect your muscle growth. Training with 30 second bursts and 30sec-1min rest is true HIIT training.

You will find that a lot of body building competitors will do low intensity cardio training. As in keeping the hr at 120 and going for 1.5hr x2 per day on top of their weight training. Anyways, here is the diet/article by David Palumbo, good luck with your goals!

Quote:

he premise of the diet is high protein (about 1- 1 1/2 gram per pound), moderate fat (about 1/2 g per lb) and low low carbs (no direct sources of carbs). During this diet, the brain goes into ketosis (it uses ketone bodies for energy-- fats) and thus the energy requirements by the body can almost all be supplied by fats (which you'll be taking in plenty of). The only activity that uses carbs will be the weight workout which may use 40grams per workout. You will get these 40g indirectly through the foods you'll be eating. As a backup, the cheat meal you'll be having once per week will provide a storehouse of glycogen (glucose) in case of emergency. So, you see, very little gluconeogenesis in the liver will be occurring. If we keep cortisol low (by
restricting STIMULANTS) we'll ensure that muscle is spared!

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the
day so you dont cheat again.

Fiber helps burn fat! Everyone should take fiber 2x per day. Fiber actually helps increase the absorption of calcium.
When following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
"Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
"Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

For a 250lb+ man:
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs

Remember, it takes 3-4 days to get into a strong ketosis where your brain is using ketone bodies (fats), instead of carbs, for energy. Be patient.

Many times I'll switch to an alternatiing diet where one day it will be protein/fat......then another protein/vegetables (very little fat). The great thing about the body and fat is that ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS can be stored in the muscle for several days, up to 2 weeks......therefore, once an adequate storehouse of Essential Fats are built up, the body can be "tortured" a little and it still won't give up muscle (that's assuming you're still taking in adequate protein. Protein can't be stored).

1oz almonds equals 6g carbs (2 of those grams are fiber) and 2oz equals 12g of carbs.

With the beef meal (any fatty protein meal), you should have the green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive or Mac oil INSTEAD of the nuts. Only eat the nuts with the LEAN PROTEIN MEAL (chicken, turkey, lean fish)

The best fat sources come from the essential fatty acids-- Omega-6 and Omega-3's. Most of us get plenty of Omega-6s from cooking oils, ect..........however the Omega-3's are harder to get. I recommend WHOLE OMEGA-3 EGGS, FaTTY FISHS like SALMON and SWORDFISH and TUNA and MACKEREL, ALMONDS and WALNUTS have some OMEGA-3's (as well as OMEGA-6s). ANother great fat source is MONOUNSATURATES such as EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL and MACADAMIA NUT OIL.....they aren't essential but they are great for the metabolism (great source of energy) and they are extremely good for your heart.

You're not getting any indirect sources of carbs (just from the 1 spoonful of PB.... you may want to have at least one 1/3cup nuts meal. Remember, Olive or Macadamia nut oil is predominantly a MONOUNSATURATED FAT (good for the heart, but not essential)........ the nuts, and fish oil have the essential fats in them. Also, with regard to FLAX SEED OIL, the OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids found in them (alpha-linolenic acid) has a very poor conversion to DHA and EPA (Essential Omega-3 intermediates) in the HUMAN........therefore, you're much better off taking in FISH OILS (that already contain DHA/EPA) than FLAX SEED OIL.

Once fat loss slows, I always increase cardio first, then I increase the amount of fat burners (clen, cytomel, lipolyze).........After those other methods are exhausted, only then, do I play with the diet.

Always eat BEFORE lifting........never BETWEEN lifting and cardio.
Artificial Sweetners:
The artificial sweetener itself (eg. aspartame, sucralose) wont cause a problem. It's what some companies complex it with. For example, EQUAL and SPLENDA combine their aspartame and sucrolose with 1g of maltodextrin........whereas, in diet drinks, they don't do that. So, diet drinks are okay, SPLENDA and EQUAL must be used in moderation (STEVIA BALANCE is fine though since they use inulin fiber instead of maltodextrin

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

never do less than 20 min per session

The BOTTOM LINE is that low intensity cardio (while you might need more of it) ensures that fat is utilized and muscle is spared (especially while on my high protein/moderate fat/low carb diety).

Do you feel the treadmill is better for cardio, or is the bike(stationary or recumbent) just as good? As long as the intensity is LOW, it doesn't matter which piece of equipment you use

Q&A:
Q: Is gluconeogenesis inevitable in your diet?
Dave Palumbo: NO

Q: If so do I need to consume more than 1.5 grams of protein per lb of LBM so as not to lose muscle?
Dave Palumbo: The fat spares the protein....when the brain is in ketosis, the carbohydrate requirements are very very low.

Q: How much (percentage) of my protein intake would be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis)?
Dave Palumbo: Very little (maybe 10%)

Q: What do you think of submersion in cold water as a means of burning bodyfat (thermogenesis)?
Dave Palumbo: HOCUS POKUS!

Q: How about drinking lots of cold water (I think this was even suggested by Elligton Darden) to help lose bodyfat?
Dave Palumbo: RIDICULOUS

Q: Do you think drinking lots of Green Tea is beneficial to fat loss?
Dave Palumbo: Somewhat helpful.

Q: How much is the ideal dosage of Omega 3 for a 220 lb. individual ?
Dave Palumbo: Try to take in about 9g per day

Q: How many Tbs of peanut butter could I have instead of 1/2 cup of cashewnuts?
Dave Palumbo: 2 tablespoons, two tablespoons of Peanut Butter contains 190 calories and 16 grams of fat (so 1.5 tablespoon equals about 12 grams fat) ...whereas......... 2oz (1/3 cup) almonds (about 40 almonds) = 12g fat

Q: I want to add that if I cant find the omega eggs here locally. Can I use international egg whites and just take an omega supplement?
Dave Palumbo: You can get away with 5 whole eggs (regular ones) once a day........not a big deal. You'll be burning up all that fat anyway.

Q: Whats the max cups # of coffee ( no sugar ) can consume on Dave's diet ?
Dave Palumbo: Try to limit to 2 cups per day.......I realize that towards the end of the diet you may need more to help you get through the day.

Q: If you cook tilapia in macadamon nut oil?do you coun't the oil as your fat for that meal! Depends how much you use.
Dave Palumbo: If you just grease the pan with it, no!

Q: what is the protein,carb and fat ratio for offseason
Dave Palumbo: 50% Protein, 25% fat, 25% carbs

Q: and the ratio for contest prep.
Dave Palumbo:60% protein, 30% fat, 10% carbs

Mr Colt 04-17-2009 09:51 PM

i will try that, i really hate HIIT the way i've been doing it, maybe 30sec sets will be less painful. (first few days i did 2 min sets with 2 min rests, i was dieing)

RayBot 04-18-2009 07:49 AM

Mr. Colt will be living up to his name in a couple months now...

diesel_test 04-18-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6385142)
i will try that, i really hate HIIT the way i've been doing it, maybe 30sec sets will be less painful. (first few days i did 2 min sets with 2 min rests, i was dieing)

i guess im the king of pain. j/k lol

2 minutes all out, 2 minutes rest. all you need is 20 minutes of this this.

jakobi 04-18-2009 12:16 PM

lol why can't you look good and also be strong.....
powerlifting doesn't make a person fat....

Losing weight, gaining weight, getting fat, etc = DIET..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6384668)
Thanks, honestly tho the first 50-70lbs just fall off with just a bit of diet change, but i think i went bit far and lowerd my metabolism.

as for abs, i have em, that is they are rock solid when i flex them under my gut. and in order to front squat 200lbs ya need em.
as for my power lifting sets they are technically high, but thats just because its aimed at a beginner. 2 nights ago i dead lifted 280x5 then 300x5 last month my deadlift max was 260x1 ( the thicket part of my quads is 25" around and no fat on them at all)

And again i like strength and in the long run value it far more then looks (id rather a rusty 1980 Volkswagen with 1000hp then a Corvette with only 100hp) however, girls kinda care less and i want to feel good about how i look physicly, so i some how must burn off this gut in then next few months.

jakobi 04-18-2009 12:20 PM

in order to squat heavy...strong core, hips, hams...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6384668)

diesel_test 04-18-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobi (Post 6385859)
lol why can't you look good and also be strong.....
powerlifting doesn't make a person fat....

Losing weight, gaining weight, getting fat, etc = DIET..

the hell with powerlifting. just lift, consistently eat healthy and the strength will come along with muscle gains.

Mr Colt 04-18-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_test (Post 6385600)
i guess im the king of pain. j/k lol

2 minutes all out, 2 minutes rest. all you need is 20 minutes of this this.

so your saying i should do 2 mins all out and 2 min rests over 20-25mins?

i eat pretty healthy i watch my carbs closely and have tryed different eating patterns, its that last ten pounds that wont go away, kicking and screaming.
-and i can squat pretty good for a noob(2months @gym in life), 225x5
ALL THE WAY DOWN, butt hitting ankles pretty much.
- powerlifting dosnt make a person fat, true(ideal powerlifting diet can), but powerlifting dosent really gain mussel mass(size) very fast ether.

diesel_test 04-18-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6386331)
so your saying i should do 2 mins all out and 2 min rests over 20-25mins?

i eat pretty healthy i watch my carbs closely and have tryed different eating patterns, its that last ten pounds that wont go away, kicking and screaming.
-and i can squat pretty good for a noob(2months @gym in life), 225x5
ALL THE WAY DOWN, butt hitting ankles pretty much.
- powerlifting dosnt make a person fat, true(ideal powerlifting diet can), but powerlifting dosent really gain mussel mass(size) very fast ether.

if you're just starting HIIT i suggest 30 second to one minute sprints and work your way up to 2 minutes if you can.

If you're into weightlifting and like lean muscle, i suggest a bodybuilding routine over a powerlifting one.

8-12 reps is where its at. What's your diet like?

Mr Colt 04-18-2009 08:57 PM

Ok, so this is a night measurement and it is my day off "tho i did quite a bit of yard work" last night i worked my abbs pretty hard with front squats and cable crunches, my gut(belly button measurement) is now at 40.5" and last week exactly i was 37.5 i have been missing cardio this week, i know i am eating safely.. WTF is this just cuse of the abs pushing out the fat? sigh this isnt fair, on top of that im now 194 at night, when normally i am 187-190(even at night), is this mussel or fat? all i had today was raisin bran, 4 isolate protien shakes over the entire day, some chicken and noodles, and a sushi roll for lunch and for dinner was one of my protein shakes and a open face meat and cheese sandwich (not much of one at that) should i just put myself into a drug indcuse coma for a month to shead these lbs,
i am proably needlessly freaking out? but still this is really REALLY disheartening

From how i gather it all, bigger mussels means burns more calories no matter what it is your doing, so is this useless for fat burning more useful for keeping fat off?... but if that was the case why dose it seem like im just getting fatter?

diesel_test 04-18-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6386451)
Ok, so this is a night measurement and it is my day off "tho i did quite a bit of yard work" last night i worked my abbs pretty hard with front squats and cable crunches, my gut(belly button measurement) is now at 40.5" and last week exactly i was 37.5 i have been missing cardio this week, i know i am eating safely.. WTF is this just cuse of the abs pushing out the fat? sigh this isnt fair, on top of that im now 194 at night, when normally i am 187-190(even at night), is this mussel or fat? all i had today was raisin bran, 4 isolate protien shakes over the entire day, some chicken and noodles, and a sushi roll for lunch and for dinner was one of my protein shakes and a open face meat and cheese sandwich (not much of one at that) should i just put myself into a drug indcuse coma for a month to shead these lbs,
i am proably needlessly freaking out? but still this is really REALLY disheartening

From how i gather it all, bigger mussels means burns more calories no matter what it is your doing, so is this useless for fat burning more useful for keeping fat off?... but if that was the case why dose it seem like im just getting fatter?

yes, working out the abs pushes the stomach bigger if you have a belly.

Maybe until you get fitter then start doing alot more ab work?

If you're down to the last 10lbs, i suggest removing noodles, white rice, sushi, and even raisin bran until you're leaner.

Eat oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, and potatoes for most of your carb sources. If you can, most of your carbs should be eaten in the morning and after a workout.

For protein stick to chicken, whey protein, and egg whites.

Most importantly, spread your food over SIX meals.

Mr Colt 04-18-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_test (Post 6386467)
yes, working out the abs pushes the stomach bigger if you have a belly.

Maybe until you get fitter then start doing alot more ab work?

If you're down to the last 10lbs, i suggest removing noodles, white rice, sushi, and even raisin bran until you're leaner.

Eat oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, and potatoes for most of your carb sources. If you can, most of your carbs should be eaten in the morning and after a workout.

For protein stick to chicken, whey protein, and egg whites.

Most importantly, spread your food over SIX meals.

I do indeed space my eating out as best i can, if i eat eggs it is just whites, noodles/pasta is a rare thing in my diet, bi-monthly at best. i dont eat any potatoes, rarely bread, but i do eat my main carbs in the morning, cerial and or fruit...
I have a Protien shake using half a cup of milk and ice, for a bed time shake... i thought its good to keep the mussels fed at night? or am i doing this wrong, or for leaning purposes not do it at all?

my abs are quite hard under the extra fat mass, how would more abb work out help? (mussel area dose not really mean fat burn area right?)

Could not getting great sleep hurt my progress?

civicyvr 04-18-2009 10:32 PM

It's almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Make up your mind which is your goal for now.

For building muscle higher reps will be better for sure.

As for weight loss, eating healthy and being calorie deficit are two different thing so you might have to keep a better track of your diet.

GL

Mr Colt 04-18-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civicyvr (Post 6386549)
It's almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Make up your mind which is your goal for now.

For building muscle higher reps will be better for sure.

As for weight loss, eating healthy and being calorie deficit are two different thing so you might have to keep a better track of your diet.

GL

Thanks, thats what i hear, sigh, my trainer friend "Jay" says ill be happier if i stick out training with try to cut like mad for the summer, so my goals are conflicted.

jakobi 04-18-2009 11:42 PM

lol
lean, bulk = diet.....

the type of body you want = DIET

train like a powerlifter, eat like a bodybuilder

110lb lean girl dL 267lbs
[youtube]7_G3eT8iuRc[/youtube]

lean dude dl 883lbs for 2 reps
[youtube]jrMSsEmoMks[/youtube]

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_test (Post 6386447)
if you're just starting HIIT i suggest 30 second to one minute sprints and work your way up to 2 minutes if you can.

If you're into weightlifting and like lean muscle, i suggest a bodybuilding routine over a powerlifting one.

8-12 reps is where its at. What's your diet like?

Mr Colt 04-21-2009 02:00 AM

Ok back to a couple HIIT questoins, so looking though google its hard to filter out what the best info i need is,
-Should i do HIIT:
-in the morning and then do my lifing at night, or the other way around,
or HIIT some days and Lifiting on others?
-Should i eat carbs and or protein with in an hour of ether, or after?
one website said to do 6sec sprints/9sec rests some say 30/60 etc, are lots of shorter sets better? if its true to do 6/9 sets is it possible to get the heart rate down low enough in 9 seconds?

-If i want to lose as much fat as possable is it bad or good to take isolate(or any) protien right before bed(keeping the mussel's fed)?
-If i get hungery in the middle of my lifting can/should i eat then or contiune through the days program (even if these 2 hours before i am done?)

-when lifing heavy or in general, i was told to rest between my sets until i felt i can get the next set all done, which depending on how heavy the next set is or how social the gym is could be between 1-6mins i try to keep it under 2mins, would i gain something if i move quicker?

RacePace 04-21-2009 09:30 AM

When it comes to timing exercise and nutrition, think of your body's energy useage like the fuel gauge in your car. But it's carbs at the top, fats in the middle and protein at the bottom, and your body will use the energy that you get from food in that order. If you want to burn fat, you either have to do enough work to burn through the carbs you've eaten to start burning fat energy or lower your carb intake to start burning fat quickly. And don't over do it so much that you start burning muscle. Why do sprinters and marathon runners look so different? Sprinters do just enough to burn fat off, marathon runners go on and on and on burning muscle because the body thinks it's excess weight.
So take in some carbs before a workout and a bit after so you can recover, you don't have to take in much to any at all in between. You shouldn't be going hungry in the middle of lifting if you do this because you will have taken in enough energy to get through your workout.

When you're lifting heavy, out of safety I would rest enough in between a set so I know I can do the next one. It can be dangerous and counter productive if you run out of gas in the middle of a set and have to release the weight.

Mr Colt 04-21-2009 08:37 PM

Ok thanks that answers a few of my last questions but these still leave me pondering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Colt (Post 6390387)
-Should i do HIIT:
-in the morning and then do my lifing at night, or the other way around,
or HIIT some days and Lifiting on others?
-one website said to do 6sec sprints/9sec rests some say 30/60 etc, are lots of shorter sets better? if its true to do 6/9 sets is it possible to get the heart rate down low enough in 9 seconds?

-If i want to lose as much fat as possable is it bad or good to take isolate(or any) protien right before bed(keeping the mussel's fed)?

RacePace 04-22-2009 11:54 AM

I think those questions should be up to you and your schedule, try them out, listen to your body and see what's best for you.

I mix whey with milk right before bed, there's no problem with it. If you think about it, why would there be? The protein you take won't turn into fat cells