REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
The RS Anchorman

Volkswagen may have passed Toyota as top automaker

TOKYO/FRANKFURT — Volkswagen AG may have become the world's top-selling automaker in the first quarter as government incentives have fuelled demand in its major markets, overtaking industry giant Toyota Motor Corp.

The German automaker, with its nine car and truck brands including Audi, Skoda, Seat and Scania, has set a goal of overtaking Toyota and General Motors Corp to be the world's No. 1 seller by 2018 — a target that was initially met with scepticism.

But a deepening recession and credit crisis have crippled demand in Toyota's top markets, with U.S. sales falling 38% and Japan sliding 24% in January-March.

Volkswagen, meanwhile, is benefiting from government stimulus plans for the car industry that have boosted sales in Germany, China and Brazil, which together accounted for 44% of group sales last year, making it more likely that it beat Toyota or at least came close.

Alone in Germany, new registrations of Volkswagen group brands rose 19% to about 282,000. Toyota sales grew 43% but its market share is just 4.4% whereas about every third new car sold in Germany came from the Wolfsburg-based manufacturer.

"Volkswagen has the luck of being strong in the markets that are currently growing, while Toyota is exposed to those that are collapsing," said Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer, head of the Centre for Automotive Research in Gelsenkirchen, adding the quarter's results would be "close."

Toyota, which significantly outsold every other manufacturer in 2008, is not entirely without blame for its volume declines, however. The Japanese carmaker has seen sales fall every month of this year in China, its third-biggest market.

In the first quarter of last year, the German group delivered 1.57 million vehicles, a third less than Toyota's 2.41 million, which included sales at minivehicle and truck units Daihatsu Motor Co and Hino Motors Ltd.

Toyota has given no forecast for retail sales, but its latest estimate for shipments for the 2009 first quarter is 1.23 million vehicles, down 47% from a year earlier.

Its first-quarter U.S. sales fell 36%, while sales in Japan for the core Toyota brand plummeted 31%. The two markets account for just under half of Toyota's global sales.

Volkswagen on Thursday confirmed projections for a 10% fall in global sales in 2009, which would translate to around 1.42 million vehicles in the first quarter if the decline was distributed equally across the entire year.

"Volkswagen is a big competitor for Toyota," said Koji Endo, auto analyst at Credit Suisse in Tokyo. "Audi is strong, Volkswagen is strong, and they're making good use of their small cars."

The automakers are expected to disclose their worldwide first-quarter vehicle sales over the next week.

The battle for top spot is also likely to be intense in coming quarters.

Toyota is counting on a third-generation Prius hybrid car due for roll-out next month to jump-start sales as more countries offer consumers incentives to buy energy-efficient cars. It will launch 16 new models in Europe this year following a product drought in 2008.

Volkswagen, for its part, will have a full year of contribution from the remodelled Golf, a perennial best-seller, and the relaunch of its popular Polo compact car.

Volkswagen has also moved up in stock value ranking, grabbing the No.2 spot behind Toyota, whose market capitalisation of US$133-billion still outstrips the German carmaker's US$100-billion.

Market research company R.L. Polk Germany predicted this month that Volkswagen would overtake GM as the world's second-largest automaker as the U.S. giant suffers steep declines at home amid fears of bankruptcy.
http://www.vancouversun.com/cars/story.html?id=1506712
Advertisement
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

not suprised at all..
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
wow, hell has frozen over... i may have a small responsibility for causing this since i bought my vw late last year
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

how can you not wrong with a lineup like this
vw, audi, bentley, lamborghini, buggati, and seat/skoda
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Witness protection

didn't volkswagen buy trabant also? (and mercifully killed it thank god)
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
does this mean they will bring the new sciroco to canada??
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
I don't get it

Im totally not surprised and was actually expecting something like this.
If you look at the new line of cars VW's coming out with and the remodeling, they're def stepping up their game. I just saw a 09 Passat today sitting in Richmond center for some raffle sale thing, and damn, it looks nice. I used to think the Passat was the ugliest of the VW line cause it was such a.. grandpa's car lol
I just got the 08 Jetta last yr and i love it

Im personally not a big fan of Toyota's =( German cars ftw ;D
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post

i asked my salesperson this, and he told me no

but new mk6 gti will be here in canada before december 09
Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
well thats what toyota deserves for building shit boring cars for C LAIS
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
i had no idea bentley's under VW AG
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
Nope. VWoA's line of thinking believes that it will undercut sales of the GTI by too big of a margin.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Nope. VWoA's line of thinking believes that it will undercut sales of the GTI by too big of a margin.
This is not directed at you Lomac, more for all the car manufacturers, but why does it matter when both cars are owned by the same company? Unless one car has a significantly higher profit margin than the other.

And I can definitely see people who weren't originally interested in the GTI to pick up a scirocco, which means more money for them...

So hard to understand what they are thinking...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^ It costs money to market, train, advertise a different product.

Although total sales (GTI + Scirocco) might increase, the costs from advertising will probably exceed this.

Also, I think it's a risk; the Scirocco (or the GTI for that matter) doesn't have the brand power here it has in Europe.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote