REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Weapon's Visibility

So lets say an officer pulls me over for speeding, once he approaches my vehicle, he see's a weapon such as a can of bear mace or samurai sword. And those two weapons were purchased legally at a local store and I'm legal enough to have possession of these weapons. Can anything happen to me? Would I get charged? You cab get a can of mace at sport check and a samurai sword could of been purcahsed for display. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Why would you carry a samurai sword or bear mace with you on your daily ride?

Do you see ninja bears all the time?

If not, then I could see the cop getting a little shady about those items.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

I don't carry those item at all. I'm just saying what if coincidently I have that on me at the time i got pulled over
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If I stopped you and saw two weapons in plain sight, we would be having a chat, with you in handcuffs for offier safety, until things were investigated further. If you are legally entitled to have these, driving with them readily available like that would be major cause of concern. Why not transport them locked in the trunk? As to what happened after that, the actual circumstances could vary from you being told to lock them in your trunk & leave...to you being arrested for posession of weapons.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If I stopped you and saw two weapons in plain sight, we would be having a chat, with you in handcuffs for offier safety, until things were investigated further. If you are legally entitled to have these, driving with them readily available like that would be major cause of concern. Why not transport them locked in the trunk? As to what happened after that, the actual circumstances could vary from you being told to lock them in your trunk & leave...to you being arrested for posession of weapons.
Exactly that.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHO? View Post
I don't carry those item at all. I'm just saying what if coincidently I have that on me at the time i got pulled over
things like that should be in the trunk or similarly covered from plain view. same with liquor i think
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

How would it be any different from having a legal gun in your car? If it's in your trunk, properly secured, and you are transporting it directly to or from the shooting range..
ZiG-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiG-87 View Post
How would it be any different from having a legal gun in your car? If it's in your trunk, properly secured, and you are transporting it directly to or from the shooting range..
Same thing. Locked and secured so you can't easily get at it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Just from a common sense point of view, if you have any objects such as, weapons, alcohol, narcotics or object that can be classified as such, in the passenger cabin of your vehicle and which are clearly visible to an officer because they are in PLAIN sight, of course they would arouse suspicion and the officer would inquire about them. I can't think of any officer who would not inquire about them.

If everything checks out and the officer is satisfied everything is ok, there is no threat to anyone, or the weapons are not illegal then the person would not get charged. If things don't check out, well things can only go downhill for the person from there.

A few years back when I clerked at the Court house I came across a case where the police had pulled over a guy for speeding. When the officer approached the vehicle he noticed there were 6 cell phones on the front seat, a mini weight scale, a open duffel bag with cash inside, and a gun holster was visible when the guy opened the glove box to retrieve his insurance.
Can anyone say the officer should not inquire further into a stop as such?

In this case it turned out the guy was a known drug dealer who had been arrested before (multiple times). The bag contained $75,000.00 in cash all $20.00 bills. A search warrant was obtained for the guy's house and the search revealed $200,000.00 cash, a counterfit currency making machine, and what was described in the officer's notes as "a mini cocaine making factory".
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Why would you carry a samurai sword or bear mace with you on your daily ride?

Do you see ninja bears all the time?

If not, then I could see the cop getting a little shady about those items.
ninja bears.. haha. sorry, but that just made my day.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Added to my earlier posting...if those weapons were there.. "we, Mr Smith and Mr Wesson and I are not going to let you do that"....(love Dirty Harry...and yes I have a Model 29 44Mag. ). Expect to be staring at a 3rd "eye" if you make the Cop nervous.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #12

would be any different if the officer found those items in the bank trunk laying there? Any assumptions that the driver was hiding it from the officer. thanks for the input all
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Weapons are supposed to be locked and stored in the trunk while being transported. If the officer asked you to open the trunk, then tell him what's in it before you open it so he knows what to expect. Of course, don't say it by saying "I have a weapon in my trunk!". Say something like, I am transporting some legally attained weapons which are currently in the trunk" or something along those lines so it won't sound like you're threatening the officer.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

If you are legally transporting a weapon then tell the Cop up front if he is about to search. Tell him exactly what you have and why and describe where it is so he can locate it. The less nervous they, the more up front you are, the less potential for problems.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Weapons are supposed to be locked and stored in the trunk while being transported. If the officer asked you to open the trunk,
firstly it's perfectly legal to carry anything legal in the front seat (except alcohol). and to the second question, my answer would be, no I won't open the trunk.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
firstly it's perfectly legal to carry anything legal in the front seat (except alcohol). and to the second question, my answer would be, no I won't open the trunk.
Enjoy your ticket.

If you have nothing to hide, I don't see the problem here.

And no, I'm not going to stand for your BS "I'll take the freedom and the hit with ticket instead of having that right violated".

Go ahead, pay your fine. Do you really think the cop cares?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Enjoy your ticket.

If you have nothing to hide, I don't see the problem here.

And no, I'm not going to stand for your BS "I'll take the freedom and the hit with ticket instead of having that right violated".

Go ahead, pay your fine. Do you really think the cop cares?
Thats completely ignorant of you sir. Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with. I defend and follow my rights to a tee. You should do. They have to learn to follow the rules that they uphold. The officer should care. Its his job. He shouldn't be abusing his position in power. I would hope that he is dilligent and acts with care when issuing a ticket. I hope this attitude starts to get phased out. For example just the many flaws coming out in the RCMP. I am sure the problems they are facing happens at any and every law enforcement unit in the country.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Unless I'm mistaken...i thought swords were illegal. Isnt it a fixed blade weapon greater than (i think the limit is) 4"?

Unless you're talking about those fake ones that can't cut even butter.

But I must say...CRS' response was gold.
"do you encounter ninja bears on a daily basis" hHAHAHAHAHAHa
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with.
Sweet, your grandfather is Pierre Trudeau?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
Thats completely ignorant of you sir. Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with. I defend and follow my rights to a tee. You should do. They have to learn to follow the rules that they uphold. The officer should care. Its his job. He shouldn't be abusing his position in power. I would hope that he is dilligent and acts with care when issuing a ticket. I hope this attitude starts to get phased out. For example just the many flaws coming out in the RCMP. I am sure the problems they are facing happens at any and every law enforcement unit in the country.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd thought to have a laugh before I point out the hypocrisy in your post.

If you weren't being the asshole who thinks they are clever with the law and giving the officer a hard time, do you really think he would do the same to you? Think about it. If you give the officer a hard time, what makes you think he won't do the same to you? Because it is your right? Well, it is HIS right to give you the ticket.

Abusing power? How about just being stupid and pushing the officers hand. Do you know how many shady people officers have to deal with on a daily basis? Do you really want to add to that and cause the officer to have even more suspicion?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Sweet, your grandfather is Pierre Trudeau?
are you someone implying he gave us rights? our grandparents should have kicked his butt too. he took many away.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #22
The "You'd Know" Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...s_and_Freedoms

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #23
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
are you someone implying he gave us rights? our grandparents should have kicked his butt too. he took many away.
Yeah, terrible guy... That Trudeau... Just terrible.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

trudeau gave me ''natural cures they dont want you to know about''....a book worth less than the paper its written on!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
Unless I'm mistaken...i thought swords were illegal. Isnt it a fixed blade weapon greater than (i think the limit is) 4"?

Unless you're talking about those fake ones that can't cut even butter.

But I must say...CRS' response was gold.
"do you encounter ninja bears on a daily basis" hHAHAHAHAHAHa
I think carrying a blade greater than 4" is illegal, as well as having it fully concealed. possession of a sword seems to be legal, although for transportation I think your best bet is to keep it locked in its scabbard somehow, or locked in a container, and stored in the trunk.

edit: according to some googling, any length of fixed blade knife/sword is legal, however it has to be used as a tool. anything carried for self defense/as a weapon is illegal. so if you're hunting you can have a nice big knife, but if you're running around Vancouver with an 8" hunting knife would be illegal as theres no way to use that as a tool in such a situation, thusly it becomes a weapon. anything with a folding blade must be under 4" or 6", not sure which. Anything fully concealed on your person is also illegal.

So a sword would be legal to have on display in your home, or at martial arts practice or something, but unless you're travelling to/from some place it could be used as a tool, the possession of it is illegal.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote